The unseen Jammu and Kashmir- Basohli & Bani

Rajinder

Since last few months we were planning to go to Basohli and Bani and on one Sunday we started at 7.30 A.M. from Gurdaspur.

DSC_0297.JPG

Gurdaspur to Pathankot
DSC_0310.JPG

Near Pathankot
DSC_0318.JPG

Pathankot Bypass
DSC_0323.JPG

Dhar Road
DSC_0331.JPG

Ranjit Sagar Lake
DSC_0334.JPG

Amritsari Kulcha Breakfast on the way at Partapgarh
DSC_0342.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

First Glimpse of Basohli
DSC_0379.JPG

DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0387.JPG

DSC_0390.JPG

Ranjit Sagar Lake again
DSC_0393.JPG

Atal Setu
DSC_0399.JPG

India’s north got its first cable-stayed bridge in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir.
The bridge named after former prime minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee.It is the fourth of its kind in India after Bandra-Worli sealink in Mumbai, Naini Bridge in Allahabad, and Vidyasagar Setu in Kolkata.The 592-metere bridge is unique because of its engineering. A joint venture of Indian Railway Construction Company Limited (IRCON) and SP Singla Construction group, the bridge 350 metres of the bridge is cable-stayed.The bridge connects Basohli in J&K with Dunehra in Punjab.

DSC_0401.JPG

DSC_0405.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

Ranjit Sagar Lake
DSC_0421.JPG

At Basohli there is a Hotel with very basic facility as this town so far was not on tourist map till now but it will develop soon. There is road project which will connect Basohli to Bhaderwah by double lane but work is going on at snail's pace and it will take another five years to complete but that is good for us as places like these are rare to find these days which are not overcrowded. But for time pass it ok to spend a night at Basohli in case of emergency only. Its near Basohli Bus stand and also this is just a small town so ask anyone and he will tell you the way to hotel.
DSC_0424.JPG

Road from Basohli to Bani. Bani is 86 Km from Basohli and it took us about 3 hours to cover the distance.
DSC_0426.JPG

DSC_0428.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

On the way to Bani
DSC_0434.JPG

DSC_0435.JPG

DSC_0436.JPG

DSC_0437.JPG

DSC_0438.JPG

DSC_0439.JPG

DSC_0445.JPG

DSC_0446.JPG

DSC_0447.JPG

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC_0451.JPG

DSC_0452.JPG

DSC_0456.JPG

DSC_0458.JPG

DSCN6824.JPG

Sewa Dam II on Sewa river
DSCN6825.JPG

DSCN6826.JPG

Gatti Village
DSCN6827.JPG

DSCN6836.JPG

DSCN6837.JPG

DSCN6845.JPG

DSCN6857.JPG

DSCN6861.JPG

DSCN6862.JPG

DSCN6863.JPG

Bani T0wn. It also has a private hotel but not so clean and good looking. There is rest house at Bani which can be booked in advance. As we were having little time and we were in a hurry to return so this time not went to rest house. After inquiry from a local Tea Shop owner we came to know that tourist can go to rest house and book a stay on the spot.
DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

Reached Bani around 2.30 P.M.
From Bani one can go to Bhaderwah but its not all weather road as at this time of the year its closed because of heavy snowfall. This road is open from April to September. and after that it closes the moment there is first snowfall. Road condition before Bani is very good but last few kilometers before Bani are really bad with mud and unpaved road. But a sedan can go up to Bani without much trouble. Our suggestion for this journey is make a base camp at Pathankot as it has good hotels and from here start early morning and reach Bani in the afternoon and go straight to rest house and book it and if you don,t find accommodation there you will be having sufficient time to come back to Pathankot or you can also go to Dalhousie. In case you visit in April to September go to Bhaderwah via Bani.

Last edited:

mousourik

Who Am I
Very nice, but for the craving souls, captions below the photos would have been better. :)

Also, please share contact details of hotels if you have stayed at any. And a google map for the route. (am i asking for too much?)

rameshtahlan

Super User
awesome

I wish after a few images you would put the name of the place. It would have more meaning for us who are seeing it.

happy landings
RT

Rajinder

Very nice, but for the craving souls, captions below the photos would have been better. :)

Also, please share contact details of hotels if you have stayed at any. And a google map for the route. (am i asking for too much?)
I have updated the log and tried to give as much as information I can. Nothing is too much as this forum is for sharing knowledge and experience so that people can travel and explore with confidence.
GSP to Bani.jpg