The Weather and Meteorology thread

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
The met department has predicted showers in HP over the next 3 days.
It has been raining the entire last week, but this time the rain was heaviest in Dharamshala area. Manali got a lot of rain, but not as much as Kangra valley.
As of now, there are no land slides active, but if it keep raining, Rani Nallah area may get landslides.
By around thursday, the rainfall may abate as the axis of monsoon starts shifting southwards.

oriole12

Nature Lover
Any weather updates on Manali or Delhi-Manali route?
There is this great meteorology site called freemeteo. I have been using this site to know about weather conditions at my planned destinations. I have very seldom found it wrong. It also has historical data about many places including Delhi on it. We have actually successfully quoted the data from the archives to show the visibility on a particualr day in the past.
According to freemeteo, rain cannot be ruled out even though heavy rains are unlikely.
See the link
India Weather Forecast - 7-day weather forecast for Manali, India - Freemeteo.com

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
There is this great meteorology site called freemeteo. I have been using this site to know about weather conditions at my planned destinations. I have very seldom found it wrong. It also has historical data about many places including Delhi on it. We have actually successfully quoted the data from the archives to show the visibility on a particualr day in the past.
According to freemeteo, rain cannot be ruled out even though heavy rains are unlikely.
See the link
India Weather Forecast - 7-day weather forecast for Manali, India - Freemeteo.com
Do they have their own weather stations at all these stations like manali etc.,?

oriole12

Nature Lover
Their predictions seem to be based on remote sensing. The archives are based on datqa sharing with IMD. That is the reason why this Russian site do not have archival information on most Indian Stations.

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Their predictions seem to be based on remote sensing. The archives are based on datqa sharing with IMD. That is the reason why this Russian site do not have archival information on most Indian Stations.
weather forecasting using remote sensing? You mean satellite images? Thats amazing. they should get a nobel prize for such innovation :p. In that case I would rely on IMD forecasts. Most website abroad use text based district level forecasts from IMD and present them in a nice way. I suspect this site is also doing the same.

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Remote sensing is widely used in weather forecasting!! :eek:

For recent developments in the area, do check this: More Accurate Weather Forecasts Coming Soon
Yes, but the equipment is usually owned by IMD or other big bodies. Websites take data from various sources.
for example NOAA is one such western source. They have lot of data for the western hemisphere, and some limited data for Asia and such.
I just checked out the IMD district forecast, and it matches that of most weather websites. I guess all these websites are just repackaging IMD supplied data.
That said, the research you quote is still experimental, and not in production. even then it would require instruments on weather satellites, which are expensive. India has the Insat 3A, which has a very advanced 3CCD imager.
Look at the image
Satellite Images

Guys, how is the weather in Manali and the places on the route of Manali? I am planning a trip to Manali on September 3-6. Please advise.

Thanks

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
Those looking out for a white new year can head to Himalayas. Starting tomorrow, a western disturbance is expected to hit western himalayan region leading to snow(isolated)
Good news is that its expected to increase and PB and HR will get rain, while most of HP will start getting snow starting 28th December.
So if this system persists, expect a snowy new years eve!

If you want to check forecast, see this
http://www.imd.gov.in/section/nhac/dynamic/allindia_main.htm
This page is updated every 8 hours from morning to night.
IMD issues a forecast in morning, afternoon, evening and night.