Tips/Guidelines for "Change of Name" in 'Official Gazette of India'

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
@MasterJi:
My wifey's name require a change after our marriage, hence we need to provide them (Registrar of marriage) with an affidavit & cutting of declaration in newspaper.

Since, every govt department (e.g., Passport, PAN Card, Voter-ID Card, Aadhar Card, Banks, etc. ... this is what has been told to me at Passport office and at PAN Card office) will ask for a separate affidavit & cutting of newspaper declaration; it is better to get it published in Indian gazette for once, and then an attested copy of gazette will suffice in each such case.

I hope it clears up the picture. :)

medpal

My wife is a doctor in Government, we have not changed her name in official records.

But while getting her PAN card 11 years back we just had to give our marriage registration certificate so it gave her new name on PAN card with her fathers`s name (that is for every lady in India, PAN card bears fathers name). And it has been accepted every where as proof of both names.

While getting my parents passports made recently we had to get 4/5 affidavits and paper advertisements as there were quite a few name differences in all.

Here in Gujarat we have habit of adding suffixes to names like (Kumar, Bhai, lal, das in case of males and Kumari, Ben, Gauri in case of females) and that creates a lot of problems so we hould keep our names as simple as possible.

Nice info SOT.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Thanks! :)

Here in Gujarat we have habit of adding suffixes to names like (Kumar, Bhai, lal, das in case of males and Kumari, Ben, Gauri in case of females) and that creates a lot of problems so we hould keep our names as simple as possible.
I agree 100%. :)

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Great info SOTji.

Question, after marriage, will even the last name (e:g; jain, kumari, gupta) change for a women need the whole process?, if one wants to adopt the Male family name.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Another help needed: Is there a defined process for Registering the marriage? I hope online is not yet ready.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Great info SOTji.

Question, after marriage, will even the last name (e:g; jain, kumari, gupta) change for a women need the whole process?, if one wants to adopt the Male family name.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Another help needed: Is there a defined process for Registering the marriage? I hope online is not yet ready.
For your first query:
Usually, an affidavit stating the marriage should do... and if accompanied with attested copy of mariiage regn. there should not be any problem.
But, I'd suggest to get it published in Gazette, as this would ensure no problems of any kind in future. It's a one time solution kinda treatment! :)

For your second query:
Please wait for some time (might be weeks) as I'm going thru this (marriage regn) process, and then only I'll be able to post up the helpful 'tips' to overcome the unstated processes! :)

C

cheguevara

Jeet: Do let me know if you want to know the process in Gurgaon...got it done in November 2011...have all the inputs...

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
@Jeet & Nishant:

Please start a new thread for that discussion, as that would be beneficial for everyone. Even I'm looking for some answers... :)

moto143

Recently changed my Name. My sir name was missing in official documents so had to correct it through Gazette . The process is exactly as Sachin mentioned. One thing i would like to add. Unlike other Government offices Gazellete office in civil lines delhi is pretty well managed and the people working there are very helpful. I got my copies in exactly 30 days as promised.

Next task is to get the name corrected in Pan card and Passport

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Recently changed my Name. My sir name was missing in official documents so had to correct it through Gazette . The process is exactly as Sachin mentioned. One thing i would like to add. Unlike other Government offices Gazellete office in civil lines delhi is pretty well managed and the people working there are very helpful. I got my copies in exactly 30 days as promised.

Next task is to get the name corrected in Pan card and Passport
Wow... thanks for certifying the efforts. :)