Tips/Guidelines for "Change of Name" in 'Official Gazette of India'

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
*Update*

My 2 cases of "Change of Name" are printed in recent publication of Official Indian Gazette, and they have sent 3 copies each to my address by Speed Post!

Hoping to get them in hand in couple of days!

Good thing is that, I faced no problem whatsoever... and they actually got it printed in 15-18 days flat... instead of normal 30 days!!
They do have a very effective Telephonic Customer Care... and believe it or not, the guy at other end told me that they are still working on registers, and no computers! Still he took less than 1 minute to find 2 cases with a reference to old & new names only. I was not having any File/Reference no. to make things easy for them!

Kudos!!

:) :)

Last edited:

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
*Final Update*

All copies of Gazette were duly received at home. It took some extra time as their despatch section was facing some problems for last 2 weeks. They sent it finally on 29th May, and we got it on 31st May!

I hope from now onwards, we'll not require any other documents to prove our changed names.

raj3d

Hey Guys Can you please mention the address of Gazette office in Delhi or online address .

Thanks in Advance

Desert Hunter

Super User
Considering name change to be a hassle anytime in future, I have never used my Surname, nor let my daughters use the surname anywhere in Official documents. Fortunately, same was the case of my wife, no need to change from maiden name to post marriage name.

On the lighter side, I am not the privileged class in India that I have to use my surname to extract benefits.

cryshnon

Hi,

I have a couple of questions in this regard. Uttar Pradesh is totally a lawless state and no one follows any rules and regulations. So no one, ABSOLUTELY no one even knows of any State gazette being published or whom to approach to make a publication. My question is:
I live in Uttar Pradesh, Ghaziabad. If I need to get a name change published in a 'Gazette', can I simply publish it in the National Gazette of India? I am asking this because states like Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra I know have a state government gazette and a well explained procedure for name change.
Second, what happens to the property and vehicle I own? If I ever have to sell it, can I just give a copy of the gazette to prove that this was my old name and just leave the name on the sale deed and vehicle registration as they are? I believe we will have to shell out lakhs on stamp duty if we need to correct details and make a fresh registration. I don't want to do that.

Blue Eyed Boy

Hi Sachin,

I recently changed my name before a notary and got it advertised in two newspapers, English and local. Now I'm in the process of applying for Gazette publication. I went through the procedure (http://deptpub.nic.in/forms/forms[10].pdf) and I have a couple of questions. I'd be grateful if you can answer them. :)

1. The procedure says that the 'proforma' must be typed! Is this talking about traditional typing or can the proforma also be typed in a computer and then printed?
2. The printing matter must be made as per the prescribed specimen IN DUPLICATE? What does this mean? :confused:
3. While sending the money/DD of Rs 770, can this be sent with all the document package? or well in advance? If it is sent in advance how will they keep a track of it?
4. Finally when the gazette is sent to my address, should I get that published Gazette notarized too?
5. I read that my pictures has to be notarized. But it is still not clear. Can u briefly tell me the procedure. :)

Please let me know Sachin. :)
Thanks a million in advance!

Desert Hunter

Super User
First of all

It is your mistake that you have spelled the names differently on all occasions - specially after your 10th as you should have matured by now.
For this reasons, it is advisable for female members of the family to maintain their names without 'Surname' which is likely to change after marriage.

Advice to all members - Please refrain from adding surname to your Girl child's name on any official document. Any part of the name which is likely to get changed post marriage, should not be included.

All you need is an affidavit declaring that DASARATH and DASRATH (e.g.) are One and the Same Person duly attested and certified. Newspaper publication of this is required. You may have to include copy of this attestation wherever required to prove the authenticity. Legal assistance shall be required for all above, but it is difficult or cumbersome.
Such certification shall be done from the Courts nearest to your place of residence.

Amrik Singh

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Changing a surname for female should not be a problem at all after marriage. All that is needed is a marriage certificate. I got it within few days after my marriage. In my wife's case, she wanted to take my surname. We first got it changed in her PAN card which was a breeze, got the new Pan card with new surname. Then applied for passport and again all they asked was marriage certificate and Id proof(PAN card, which had the changed surname).

Desert Hunter

Super User
Changing a surname for female should not be a problem at all after marriage. All that is needed is a marriage certificate. I got it within few days after my marriage. In my wife's case, she wanted to take my surname. We first got it changed in her PAN card which was a breeze, got the new Pan card with new surname. Then applied for passport and again all they asked was marriage certificate and Id proof(PAN card, which had the changed surname).
No doubts

But every time you submit a pre-marriage certificate, you have to attach 'Change of Name' certificate along with