... to the heaven and back

sanuroxz

Super User
Day 17 : Wakro – Tinsukia

Distance : 138 KM

Mode : Bus

Time Taken : 5 hours

wakro-tinsukia.jpg

Got up really early during odd hours in the morning.. might be for the early retirement last night.. but was inside blanket.. Finally came out of bed when I received a call from partha da… he thought I would be travelling by the morning bus but I had plans of travelling in the afternoon bus..

Finished all my morning chores lazily and Soni and Payal arrived at 7 AM.. We had plans of visiting Basamlu didi’s house… Her house is on the other side of the market so we had to take lot of shortcuts inside bushes and tiny jungles.. She was so happy to see us.. and invited inside her house… and we were served some tea and snacks..

We started discussing… she was happy that a guy from so far was there in her place J Affectionately called ‘Chai didi’, Basamlu Krisikro from Wakro started tea plantation nine years ago. Her reason was purely personal.In 2009, her mother was detected with lung cancer and after a successful operation in Mumbai, doctors advised her a regular dose of organic green tea. It was then that she decided to grow it in her backyard.

During that time, many families in Lohit district who were earlier cultivating poppy or opium have followed the path shown by her.Conventional tea cultivation has been prevalent in some parts of Arunachal Pradesh for ages. But it was not popular in eastern districts of the state such as Lohit, Anjaw, Tirap and Changlang . However, the eastern districts of the hilly state are notorious for opium cultivation, which is a cash crop and fetches huge profits to the farmers.

"The eastern districts, particularly my area (Wakro), has been known for orange plantation in the past," said Basamlu didi.

However, the orange production declined significantly over the last several years for reasons not known, forcing the once orange orchard owners to take to opium cultivation in a big way.This opium gave them an alternative sustainable source of income and an addiction too.

Basamlu didi and a medical practitioner, Nayil, took it upon themselves to convince people that tea plantation could be an alternative source of sustainable income.They had also motivated the opium cultivators to replace their fields with small-scale tea plantations. And it did wonders. Within a year, at least a dozen of them turned into small tea growers, Basamlu didi whose one hectare tea plantation in 2009 has been extended to five hectares now.

According to her Only 12 grams of opium could fetch Rs.650 and one needs to invest only Rs.7,000 for opium cultivation in one hectare of land, which yields about six to seven kg of opium.In Wakro alone, there are 12,000 to 13,000 opium cultivators. :eek:

"It's really sad to see that the consumption of opium, especially among the youth, is eating away the vitals of our society," she said while expressing happiness that about 12 families in Wakro have totally given up opium cultivation for tea plantation.She was proud that she had recently set up a tea processing unit so that the new tea planters in Wakro could supply their produces easily.

Last year, she produced about 3,000 kg of orthodox and organic green tea and my buyers include people from India and abroad.She said that she had approached the Arunachal Pradesh government several times seeking its intervention to stop the opium cultivation, but to no avail.There has been no good response from the government. She tried but failed. Had there been intervention by the government to popularize the tea plantation and as an alternative to opium cultivation, the situation would not have been so bad.

I was hearing all those without even uttering a single word J Just thinking how many secrets were lying inside each places in Arunachal .. I thanked her from the core of my heart for the time and the kind gesture J

We started heading back to Circuit house as I had very less time in Wakro I had to board the bus at 12 noon. And it was almost 11.. so I had to pack my bag,take bath,have lunch then need to be at bus stand before 12.. so everything was done hurriedly .. and Lunch was also served…

I could easily see the sorrow on Soni’s face.. again she would be left alone with her usual life..which was having no direction ..again we two had lunch together..it was mutton curry rice and some veggies.. after lunch I paid the entire money to the caretaker also gave some tips to his drunk son who was carrying my backpack to the bus stand… bus was about to start when I boarded .. requested the driver to give 5 minutes which he accepted with a smile..

It was time for Soni .. I was thinking ‘I wish I could have taken you with me.. L ’ Just prayed to almighty to protect her.. I kissed her forehead and encouraged her to study a lot before boarding the bus.. I gifted her my wrist watch…bus started rolling I just looked at Soni for the last time.. she was standing still but her hand was waving at me L Separation …

IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5724.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG

IMG_5726.JPG

IMG_5727.JPG

I kept on thinking about the sweet girl for sometime and was getting worried .. which was disturbing me.. so I just prayed to god once again to give her all strength to fight all the odds…

It was an old bus ..Typical AP govt bus..which was traveling on average speed… For quite sometime I was sitting in the double seat all alone as the bus had hardly 9-10 passengers..again we were crossing inside dense jungle and mountains.. but I was not happy as I was coming down from mountains..

Bus started taking numerous stops as passengers were started boarding the bus on various places..and within 90 minutes we reached Chongkham.. and from there bus got crowded..also the road condition became good.. and within another one hour we were in Namsai on the very good patch of road… Bus took a small break in namsai and I got chance to get down and click some pictures.. But bus started in 15 minutes.. and we were on plain that moment and on both sides paddy farms were visible.. Namsai to Tinsukia road condition was in excellent condition.. It usually happens most of the roads connecting Assam to Arunachal were in excellent conditions.. but in interiors road conditions were pathetic…

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5734.JPG

IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_5736.JPG

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5739.JPG

IMG_5740.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

IMG_5743.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5745.JPG

IMG_5746.JPG

Khamti Lady
IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

playing cards (gambling) is every where in that region
IMG_5756.JPG

way to Golden pagoda
IMG_5757.JPG

another pagoda in Namsai
IMG_5758.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

IMG_5763.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

on the way to Tinsukia..Assam plain
IMG_5765.JPG

Finally we reached Dirak gate another entrance to Arunachal Pradesh from Assam.. I must say this gate was the busiest among all the gates I had visited.. and finally I was on Assam plain..Partha da was kept on asking about my position frequently.. :) Honestly both likeminded were excited to meet after few days.. But the traffic jam from Doomdooma slowed us.. and it became more when we reached Makum.. Peak hour traffic.. almost an hour wasted there finally bus reached Tinsukia at 5PM .. It was about to get dark.. I called Partha da immediately after getting down from bus.. He directed me to come just opposite to the bus stop.. and he guided me to a hotel just infront of the bus stand.. That was a OK type budget hotel.. Partha da explained me that I would stay only couple of hours in that hotel or just for sleep as next morning I had to execute Partha da’s surprise plan J Also he explained the plan for that evening… so after putting my backpack in the hotel room and without getting little fresh and changing clothes came out from hotel with Partha da…He instructed to carry clothes and at his place I can get freshenup.. He instructed the hotel reception that I would be late while coming back so keep the gate open… Hmm ..

Partha da’s sexy RE..i really loved the colour .. we rode to his house… it was quite far from the main market..and it was equally colder as Arunachal I felt… Finally we reached his house.. It’s a bungalow actually.. lovely located away from the crowd on the way to Dibru-Saikhowa National park..

It was a big compound and the front building he had made a restaurant also homestay.. Though restaurant was almost ready but homestay work was still going on… and the name of the restaurant was Babblers Inn.. awesomely designed.. Partha da was making everything from his heart.. It was not at all for his pocket but his passion.. The things which mostly attracted me was everything he was planning from the eye of a traveller .. Books were there , travelling discussion used to take place.. even he had a good group of travellers …

Without wasting time partha da pushed me get fresh up.. and my snacks was ready.. Chicken Hot and sour soup and some momos..That awesome restaurant was going to open soon hence Partha da had arranged one pre-opening ceremony on that evening.. Gradually Partha da’s friend’s started arriving.. Partha da was happily introducing myself to everyone.. I was amazed to see that among most of his friends so many are travellers … J and the discussion went on and on when partha da pulled out one big Arunachal map.. we compared who had visited maximum number of districts of that state.. and undoubtedly I won :D … Partha da’s reaction was ‘hamare ghar ke pas hai ..aur ye Bangalore ..itna dur se aake itna explore kar chukka hai :p ’…

Our never ending discussion over the bonfire was interrupted when bhabi asked us for dinner.. It was awesome dinner ..Smoked chicken,fish in mustard sauce, paneed chilly ,rice and dal so some other dishes…Hats off to the preparation .. till now I can smell those… It was really a great treat for me.. Thank you from the bottom of my heart Partha da…

IMG_5767.JPG

lovely lady in my service
IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

nagamese
IMG_5771.JPG

my snacks
IMG_5772.JPG

i loved these books
IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5795.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG

At 10.30PM partha da asked one of his friend who would be moving on the same route to my hotel to drop me.. and I was dropped safely in hotel.. nothing much to do..Just made a call and reveled my surprise plan for the next day to Ananya ..she was little worried initially but I relaxed her that everything was almost arranged … I retired soon … was really excited for the next days travel…

NEXT >

Last edited:
•••✿❀••Great !••❀✿•••
•••✿❀••Great !••❀✿•••
•••✿❀••Great !••❀✿•••
•••✿❀••Great !••❀✿•••
•••✿❀••Great !••❀✿•••

Partha da was happily introducing myself to everyone.. I was amazed to see that among most of his friends so many are travellers … J and the discussion went on and on when partha da pulled out one big Arunachal map.. we compared who had visited maximum number of districts of that state.. and undoubtedly I won :D … Partha da’s reaction was ‘hamare ghar ke pas hai ..aur ye Bangalore ..itna dur se aake itna explore kar chukka hai :p ’…
Why ?
How ?
When ?

@Apoorv SHarma
What is happening here ?

I could easily see the sorrow on Soni’s face.. again she would be left alone with her usual life..which was having no direction ..again we two had lunch together..it was mutton curry rice and some veggies.. after lunch I paid the entire money to the caretaker also gave some tips to his drunk son who was carrying my backpack to the bus stand… bus was about to start when I boarded .. requested the driver to give 5 minutes which he accepted with a smile..

It was time for Soni .. I was thinking ‘I wish I could have taken you with me.. L ’ Just prayed to almighty to protect her.. I kissed her forehead and encouraged her to study a lot before boarding the bus.. I gifted her my wrist watch…bus started rolling I just looked at Soni for the last time.. she was standing still but her hand was waving at me L Separation …
What Next ?
Only Pray !