Train Travel Reviews | Trip Reports | Experiences | Discussions

vanderlust

Train N Bus Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
There must be a lot of railfans active in this forum. This thread is for sharing your train travel experiences and related discussions.
Please make the thread active and lively by posting your journey experiences.
Thank you

vanderlust

Train N Bus Enthusiast
Cool pics Raj rover..

So you were onboard which train?
And where did you spot the Rajdhani?

Raj ROVER

Cool pics Raj rover..

So you were onboard which train?
And where did you spot the Rajdhani?
Thanx ! I was in both train but not in same time.., Rajdhani pics is taken by me by my cell' cam as I got down to take some 'auto magazine' for my son who is by the way inside with his mother (window under board written in hindi, his nestea bottle' cap is visible) this is on the way back to Madgao from Delhi.
2012-05-02 21.43.51.jpg
2012-05-03 09.41.13.jpg

Second one is Mangla Exp. Madgao/Goa bound and waiting for pass at Chiplun station, on 25th Sept 4.48pm. ( me travelled alone from Jhansi to Madgao/Goa).

some more photos of "Real Rail enthusiasts":p

Attachments

venkateshk

For all bus fans who double up as rail fans as well i have started a thread in the Railways Sub forum of BCM Touring

Sun Forum link: Indian Railways

Thread link : http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/indian-railways-f36/train-travel-reviews-trip-reports-experiences-discussions-t47883/

I request fellow members and rail fans to make the thread bustling with discussions-it is currently in infant stage.
Your recent discussion on Volvo B9R thread about trains has brought in new interest in me to know about trains. Thanks for this new thread!

It was the Bangalore - Chennai Shatabdi which leaves from Bangalore in the morning. Incidentally while WAM4 does mean its mixed traction, the 6P actually indicates that the engine has been re-geared for passenger service essentially sacrificing the torque for higher top speed.
I did not understand what pypksrikanth trying to explain. Can any train fans help me understand what is WAM 4 and 6P etc?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanx ! I was in both train but not in same time.., Rajdhani pics is taken by me by my cell' cam as I got down to take some 'auto magazine' for my son who is by the way inside with his mother (window under board written in hindi, his nestea bottle' cap is visible) this is on the way back to Madgao from Delhi.

Nice pics Raj Rover!

Are those folks crossing the train? or Were they traveling on top of it?

Where is the high tension electric wire?

Last edited:

chaitanya

I did not understand what pypksrikanth trying to explain. Can any train fans help me understand what is WAM 4 and 6P etc?
welcome to the world of powerful machines aka railway locomotives
you could very well join [IRFCA] Welcome to IRFCA.org, the home of IRFCA on the internet. (an ultimate railfans club) you could get all the info ur looking for .
a small briefing
WAM , WAP , WDP, etc are all different classes of locomotives used in indian railways , among them WAP4 is the most widely used electric loco in india for passenger trains , WAP 7(white beast ) and wap 5 are the new high power locomotives in IR . they are capable of doing highspeeds subject to mps(max permissible speed)

vanderlust

Train N Bus Enthusiast
Hi venkateshk,
Welcome to indian railways thread- the arteries and veins of India..:)
I'm happy that you have a newfound interest for trains.:) Ever since, i loved travelling by train, browsing through railway timetables was my hobby.:)
However, i was ignorant of the various locomotives and its features and started learning about them from wiki and irfca..:)

Just to start with, the locomotive model numbers come in an 'XYZ N' format..
The first letter denotes the type of gauge.
W- Broad Gauge
Y- Metre Gauge

The second letter denotes the type of locomotive-electric/diesel.
D-Diesel
A- A.C Powered(electric)

and the 3rd letter denotes the purpose the locomotive is used for.
P-passenger trains
G- goods trains
M- mixed-both passenger and goods
S- shunting.
The number N denotes the variant or the version number..
There are more variants of the above.
Now for example, WAP 4 locomotive is an AC powered electric broad gauge locomotive used to haul passenger trains.

You can go through the links provided by our dear co forumers for more info..:)

Last edited: