Train Travel Reviews | Trip Reports | Experiences | Discussions

BenHur

to enjoy the scenic konkan....I dont think so there are any tickets available in any another train except for duranto which will pass konkan only at night. ....more over I m a native from konkan itself and have enjoy each and every corner of kankan by road many a times....

Wht would you like to suggest me on berth preferances ????

I m opting for lower berths....that too SIDE BERTHS is it ok ?
If 3-A, Side Lower is fine. If 2 A, go for lower berth.

soulspinz

Yes v. R opting for 3 tier ac
Purposely choosing side one to ignore the upper passengers who have to mandatorily sit on the lower berth during daytime

shenoyshrikants

How is the catering service on duranto. ...I m planning to choose non veg course on my journey to ekm
Food in Duronto is similar to Rajdhani ones. And doesnt matter what you choose while booking. As soon as you sit in the train, the coach attendant will be asking you your options of food for through out the journey. Food quality is awesome, both veg and non veg. For breakfasts, you can order eggs made as per your liking - boiled, omlet and even burji (if he is considerate enough to make burji)

Secondly, as mentioned earlier, you will miss the Konkan stretch of the journey as it will be in the night. However still, please opt for lower berths as during the day time, you will be travelling thru coastal KA and north KL which are very scenic as well. There will be many stretches where the train will be passing through very near to the beaches. And you will have so many river bridges over backwaters throughout south Karnataka

soulspinz

Food in Duronto is similar to Rajdhani ones. And doesnt matter what you choose while booking. As soon as you sit in the train, the coach attendant will be asking you your options of food for through out the journey. Food quality is awesome, both veg and non veg. For breakfasts, you can order eggs made as per your liking - boiled, omlet and even burji (if he is considerate enough to make burji)

Secondly, as mentioned earlier, you will miss the Konkan stretch of the journey as it will be in the night. However still, please opt for lower berths as during the day time, you will be travelling thru coastal KA and north KL which are very scenic as well. There will be many stretches where the train will be passing through very near to the beaches. And you will have so many river bridges over backwaters throughout south Karnataka
Ticket is booked....opted for lower side berth

shenoyshrikants

Thanks for a detailed info about food on duranto....sounds interesting
Enjoy your trip. If you look up on IR websites, Duronto is classfied as Rajdhani. As such, except for 2 differences, (1. Green color instead of Red, 2. Rajdhani specifically connects State Capitals to National Capital), An AC Duronto train is exactly same as Rajdhani for the quality of services as well as fare.

soulspinz

Enjoy your trip. If you look up on IR websites, Duronto is classfied as Rajdhani. As such, except for 2 differences, (1. Green color instead of Red, 2. Rajdhani specifically connects State Capitals to National Capital), An AC Duronto train is exactly same as Rajdhani for the quality of services as well as fare.
Will post a review with photos of the trip

uturn

Super User
Done rail journey to shahganj in u.p. by Mumbai faizabad express by ac 2tier good experience coach was clean toilets clean with freshner food quality was good no disturbance quite a good experience.

Train schedule upto jabalpur only 30min delay,but after that no schedule train was delayed 3 hours.

varanasi - gorakhapur done by ac 2tier lot of unreserved passangers travelling inside badly maintained berths toilets even filthy rugs provided only food was good.

train stopped somewhere as level crossing was not close (some confusion between station in charge & gate man ) train delayed by 1.5 hours but who cares.

conclusion : lot of change needed in u.p.

deepam

Super User
After a long time, the wish to travel in full LHB AC train got accomplished.
I traveled over weekend from SC to VSKP and back in 12784 and 12783 weekly train. This train also runs between Secunderabad to Shalimar [Kolkata], starts on Tuesday morning at 5:40 AM and returns by Thursday evening at 6:30 PM.
Both ways I had taken the Upper berth in 3A- The upper berth is located at more height than the normal train [again this is perception].
This train is comprised of:
  1. 12 coaches of 3A
  2. 3 coaches of 2A
  3. 1 coach of 1A.

The 3A coach has 72 berths, against 64 or normal coaches. The coach I travelled was built by RCF Raebarelli.
The same would be true with 2 A - may have 54 berths [ did not check].
When I booked; I was skeptical that the train would run as there were lot of berths that were available - When I traveled realized that train was full both ways.