Transporting motorcycle by train

megham

mmSuresh
Re: Delhi to Jammu in 10days

For bikers who want to book their motorcycles as parcel in train.

You can book your bike as parcel in train is two ways.
1) As parcel: book in advance it will take its own time to reach, no ticket required.(Between 3 to 7days)
2) Along with ticket: if you traveling in same train, you can take your motorcycle with you. Bit costly and quicker compare to first one. (Comes along with you in same train)

For both types of parcel you need to make sure petrol tank is empty and pack the bike with Gunny bag. And mention source and destination places on piece of cardboard, which should be clear and visible. Fill the application along with source and destination address, make of vehicle, registration number, weight of vehicle, cost of vehicle etc.

As Parcel without ticket, you need to book in parcel office timings that’s between 9AM to 5PM. And taking delivery also in Parcel office working hours. They charge less compared to Parcel along with ticket. But it might take anytime between 3-7 days.

Along with ticket is 2nd option, where you need to do parcel booking option 2-3 hours in advance to your train's actual departure time. Show the ticket and book the bike. They send the bike along with you (Parcel wagon) in same train. You need to make sure whether the bike is loaded in parcel wagon and placed in good position. Its not compulsory but to be on safe side, you need to pay Rs. 30-50/- to porter and make sure its loaded. If you go one hour early to departure you can check yourself.

Documents needed for booking the bike.
Bike Registration Certificate in Xerox & train ticket Copy. Some times they may ask you License for identity proof.

And one Important thing which I learnt from my trip. Owner of the Bike (on whoms name the bike registered) and person who traveling Name should be same. Railway people check the RC copy and train ticket copy. I have taken my cousins bike, while going I didn't have any issues, but while coming back I’ve seen the hell. Waited for 4 hours begging them to book the bike. At last d paid 600/- extra as bribe and booked the bike.

Charges
From Hyderabad to Delhi (1650Kms), they charged 1750/- + packing charges 150/-
From Jammu to Warangal (2400Kms) they charged 2000/- + packing charges 200/-

You need to mention the value of the bike while booking. based on that they charge some nominal insurance from you its part of the parcel cost. More amount you mention as bike value, more you need to pay. In case of lost of your bike, you can claim. To avoid damages you need Pack it carefully.

Problem from booking Jammu
You need to book the bike from Cloak room in the evening, parcel office is closed by 5PM.
I didn’t get the bike at warangal even though I booked it from Jammu to warangal.
Railway ppl at warangal say that, it can be delivered only in major stations. In case if we need to take in warangal, we need to talk to Railway Guard or TT at previous major station (Nagpur before warangal), so that they mention the next station name on parcel wagon, where it can be opened next.

And one more thing.. I tied the helmet along with Bike in packing, which was stolen in return journey.. Just be aware of it or carry helmet along with you.

Any more info just drop me a mail.

Flyingdog

Hey Megham,

Thanks for posting this info. I'm also bringing my friend's motorcycle with me and am a bit nervous about legalitities involved in shipping it to Delhi.

Also, I"m curious know about your experiences in unloading your motorcycle from the train. Is it relatively easier than booking/loading your motorcycle? Are state taxes/Octroi taxes a major issue?

Thanks,

FD

moorkudu

hey megham,

i want to send my bike from hyderabad to guntur, can you give me an advice how can i do that.

i enquired kesineni travels, they were charging 1200/- and kaleswari travels, they were charging 650/-. I donno about train parcel prices.

with your posts i noticed that you have great experience in travelling and transportation. can you please advice me?

If possible can you please call me to my mobile. I'm sending my phone number in p.m.

Thanks in advance
Anil K. Golla

Ashutosh Mahajan

Back in Action
Guys,I had my worst experience while transporting my bike from Bandra(Mumbai) to Chandigarh when I was on way to Leh. I would like to enumerate some do's and dont's from what I have seen....

1.If you wanna book the bike along with you,do approach the parcel office 2-3 days in advance.Because there is space for not more than 2-3 bikes in a brake van.And if the space is already booked,you may not be able to load the bikes with you.
2.The brake vans of long route trains are always full.Like only one train goes to Kalka from Mumbai.So it is difficult if you go 2-3 hours before the train.For Mumbai-Delhi,there are many trains,this problem does not arise.
3.Keep the xerox of your journey ticket with you as it is needed while delivery along with other papers.
4.Be there when the people load and unload your bikes as they are damn careless while handling.

crazy4

That's why I don't prefer Railway Parcel system.Gati's service is much more hassle free though it takes longer time and a bit costly.

popsha

Incredible Bulk
That's why I don't prefer Railway Parcel system.Gati's service is much more hassle free though it takes longer time and a bit costly.
Sirji if you use the "Parcel" system of railways this is bound to happen.

Always book the bike as "Personal Luggage" this will make them load the bike on the same train as you are travelling in. Parcel gets a lower priority than personal luggage. So even if there is space for just 2 bikes an they have three in waiting you can push them to put your bike first. Also a little knowledge of how govt system works does help a lot.

stereoguy

RECLAIMED LIFE
Roads take time to transport :(

Sirji if you use the "Parcel" system of railways this is bound to happen.

Always book the bike as "Personal Luggage" this will make them load the bike on the same train as you are travelling in. Parcel gets a lower priority than personal luggage. So even if there is space for just 2 bikes an they have three in waiting you can push them to put your bike first. Also a little knowledge of how govt system works does help a lot.
Tea Coffee - snacks fees for officials gets ur work done easily ....
Corruption Rules ;):D

stereoguy

RECLAIMED LIFE
Not corruption per se... a small talk ... a snack or smoke and you never know he might be from a place near your native place.
Modest way of sayin Corruption ;););)... Truth preavails ... nothing to deny it . Solves the problem .;)