Trek from Harsil to Chitkul via Lamkhaga Pass

VPS

I have tried to show the scariness however the photos don't do proper justice and the depth & scariness could not be reflected properly. It was so scary that a thought grew into the mind that it would be easier to cross the pass back rather than to tred on this treacherous non-existent trail :(

The Lal Dhang seems to be the most difficult part of the trek.
Really scary.

NatureLover

Ride to face the fear
well i have been closely following this log as i was quite fascinated by this trail when i heard from local folks in chitkul. So i would like to know what's the duration, cost involved if i am doing this solo with a guide and porter cum cook.

BTW kudos to you for bringing this magnificent story unfold before us. You are real trekker buddy.

gomsi

gomsi
Wow!! We can just imagine this stretch.. Kudos to you on accomplishing such an breath taking adventure

yash.pranks

tOuRiNg DeViL!!
10/10 man... This is the travelogue which I have read completely. Hats off to you and your trek buddies. Do not forget to give in details of the guide and rates.

Waiting for the rest

VPS

The duration of trek is around 10 days, you can estimate it from the above thread. I would recommend it in September-October and not in June as we did it, unless you want to do a snow trek. Cost of Guide around Rs 800 per day & porter Rs 400 per day + Ration cost. I would recommend our guide Hardev for it, he lives in Uttarkashi

well i have been closely following this log as i was quite fascinated by this trail when i heard from local folks in chitkul. So i would like to know what's the duration, cost involved if i am doing this solo with a guide and porter cum cook.

BTW kudos to you for bringing this magnificent story unfold before us. You are real trekker buddy.

VPS

Day 9 : The final day : By the morning clouds has surrounded us from all sides, yet we decided to move on. After a walk of about half an hour we reached Kachi Dhang, by then weather had cleared a bit. Kachi Dhang was even worse than Lal Dhang. The trail on sandy mountain would slide down after little showers. We saw many land slides which had taken away the non-existent trail alongwith it. Meanwhile, intermittent drizzling started which left our hearts thumping. A little more rain could wash us down with the loose sand. Looking at the bad mood of weather god, we decided to cover the land slide area fast and rest in Ranikanda thus we could not click much snaps of that zone. However, believe me the trail was so bad that we again thought that it would have been better if we had gone back to Delhi like our trek-mate :mad:

Moving towards Kachi Dhang - Rain clouds are hovering on us

CSC_0155.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

Some views of Kachi Dhang - only at the places where we felt comfortable

CSC_0158.jpg

CSC_0161.jpg

CSC_0164.jpg

CSC_0165.jpg

CSC_0167 (2).jpg

I would again repeat, it would be better if a bridge is made near Dhumti and a trail is developed from Ranikanda to Dhumti on the other side of Baspa, which is greener than the side on which we were trekking and they already have a bridge at Rani kanda to cross Baspa. The trek became greener from Ranikanda, the meadows were full of small colorful flowers. From Ranikanda onwards one can see sheeps & horses grazing.

Beautiful & scenic Ranikanda

CSC_0186.jpg

CSC_0187.jpg

CSC_0198.jpg

CSC_0199.jpg

CSC_0206.jpg

CSC_0204.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

CSC_0202.jpg

After around 5 to 6 hrs trek we reached Nagasthi ITBP camp and after presenting our credentials we continued ahead to Chitkul which was 3 kms from the camp. It took around half an hour more to reach Chitkul. It was a beautiful small village on Baspa river. We rented 3 rooms in Thakur Guest house for reasonable Rs 350 per room and that too with geyser. We had a nice bath & then we explored the village. We were so tired by then that we didn’t go down to Baspa river which was around 100 mts down from the village.

Lovely Chitkul

CSC_0196.jpg

CSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0194 (2).jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

Th
e next morning we hired a jeep & moved back towards Delhi. On reaching Delhi my fellow trekker who got injured had his injury reviewed. He got 13 stitches and still flaunts the mark as his memento. He still complains of shoulder pain sometimes. Whereas, the other friend who came back to Delhi from Harsil had reached Delhi with great difficulty. He was diagnosed with internal injury in upper part of his skull, he had to remain in ICU for 15 days. The reason for such injury is still unknown as there was no external damage and neither did the doctors call it a case of internal Haemorrage :shock:. However, it showed us that one who is not with you in your difficult period is not necessarily enjoying himself......

Attachments

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
I'm still :-o
Are you sure this was the correct route? I seriously doubt! Its more of an exploration! :-o

That sheep pic before reaching Chitkul is insanely cute! :)