--Trek To Panchachuli Base Camp - Darma Valley--

kolkatarider

Brother, you have narrated the whole trip so beautifully but unfortunately you have not shown the picture of any overflowing stream. Particularly the one dangerous one between Dugtu and Dantu. I noticed your car was a sedan which does not normally have a ground clearance of more than 165 mm. My Wagon R also has a GC of 165 mm. So can I presume that I can reach Dantu by my car? Did you notice any other Wagon R or small hatchback in that area? There is another ambiguity in your post. You said you went only upto the base camp which is 2.5kms from Dantu. But in one of the pictures you mentioned zero point which is supposed to be another 4 kms from the base camp. This portion of your writing is quite confusing. Would please give us a correct picture of the trekking distance involved? And also how is the nature of trek? Is the climbing very steep? And one last question. Would you please confirm from your friend at Dantu whether it is possible to go there in the last week of December. If not when next would it be possible. Thank you.

Gaurav Dutt

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Brother, you have narrated the whole trip so beautifully but unfortunately you have not shown the picture of any overflowing stream. Particularly the one dangerous one between Dugtu and Dantu. I noticed your car was a sedan which does not normally have a ground clearance of more than 165 mm. My Wagon R also has a GC of 165 mm. So can I presume that I can reach Dantu by my car? Did you notice any other Wagon R or small hatchback in that area? There is another ambiguity in your post. You said you went only upto the base camp which is 2.5kms from Dantu. But in one of the pictures you mentioned zero point which is supposed to be another 4 kms from the base camp. This portion of your writing is quite confusing. Would please give us a correct picture of the trekking distance involved? And also how is the nature of trek? Is the climbing very steep? And one last question. Would you please confirm from your friend at Dantu whether it is possible to go there in the last week of December. If not when next would it be possible. Thank you.
Thank you sir. Sorry if some of the points are mildly confusing. Let me try to get this clarified here.

1.) For the stream which flows between Dugtu and Dantu, my friend has that video, but the quality is not good as everyone was more concerned on the path rather than the stream. Let me find that out, if there are any, will try to upload the link.
2.) WagonR will have problems, it is not at all easy, there are no roads after Sobla plus the streams in between are of utmost concern. It is better to take a jeep from Dharchula and If you want I will give you some of the references.
3.) The base camp for Panchahuli is Dugtu village which is accessible by road, from there you need to trek for 3 KM to reach zero point.
4.) The trek is easy and you will not find any problem, it is not at all steep.
5.) In December you will get nothing, by October end everybody from all the villages in and around come down to Jaul-Jibhi as the winters are quite harsh in those area, once the temperature notches up they get back to their place in May.

Ideally, October first week is the best month.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I would love to answer that. Thank you.

dichkaun

@Gaurav Dutt
I just came back from a solo bike ride to Dantu. Thank for for this detailed log as well as the response you gave me to my questions earlier in this thread. Both were very helpful.
Hats off you and your friends for making the trip on a sedan. The road is really only suitable for a jeep or high GC vehicle. Requires a lot of courage to attempt it in a sedan.

Gaurav Dutt

ॐ नमः शिवाय
@Gaurav Dutt
I just came back from a solo bike ride to Dantu. Thank for for this detailed log as well as the response you gave me to my questions earlier in this thread. Both were very helpful.
Hats off you and your friends for making the trip on a sedan. The road is really only suitable for a jeep or high GC vehicle. Requires a lot of courage to attempt it in a sedan.
Thank you so much dear, glad it helped you in planning your trip!
...moving out in sedan was tough, there were many under belly hits and at one point of time we decide to turn back, but as they say, we were destined for great things and yes upon reaching, the place totally blew our mind. So, all in all a total package/place worth travelling for :)

Thanks again!

dichkaun

riverCrossing.jpg

@kolkatarider
Here's a picture of the river as of last week. Red line is the path to take to cross the river.
Late after noon max depth is till the thighs of person height 5'7". Early morning it is little above the knees.

kolkatarider

Thank you sir. Sorry if some of the points are mildly confusing. Let me try to get this clarified here.

1.) For the stream which flows between Dugtu and Dantu, my friend has that video, but the quality is not good as everyone was more concerned on the path rather than the stream. Let me find that out, if there are any, will try to upload the link.
2.) WagonR will have problems, it is not at all easy, there are no roads after Sobla plus the streams in between are of utmost concern. It is better to take a jeep from Dharchula and If you want I will give you some of the references.
3.) The base camp for Panchahuli is Dugtu village which is accessible by road, from there you need to trek for 3 KM to reach zero point.
4.) The trek is easy and you will not find any problem, it is not at all steep.
5.) In December you will get nothing, by October end everybody from all the villages in and around come down to Jaul-Jibhi as the winters are quite harsh in those area, once the temperature notches up they get back to their place in May.

Ideally, October first week is the best month.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I would love to answer that. Thank you.
Dear Gaurav Dutt, you have so convincingly replied to all my queries that I have nothing more to ask. Thank you very very much.