Trekking shoes for Chaddar Trek

Discussion in 'Travel and Automotive Gear' started by sayonee, Sep 22, 2013.

1. sayonee

sayonee Active Member

Hi all, i have been reading all the reviews for shoes...but got really confused...there are some very good reviews and some that actually aggravated my confused state of mind
    :(...anyways, want your suggestions for which or what shoes to buy for our upcoming chadar trek. And also wanted to know a good pair for women too. We have to buy both, one for my hubby and one for me. Will be grateful if you all can guide with your experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance :)

2. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

While Forclaz 500 is good, I don’t think it is appropriate for Chaddar Trek.

Btw what is your budget?

3. partha

partha Active Member

i do not know what shoes you have now. But if have any kind of trekking shoes, they should be fine as long as they are waterproof. Please carry gaitors. but most of the cases during water crossing, these shoes give up and pretty much 100 % trekkers what i have seen were using gumboots from leh which cost 300 Rs pair. they are best for chadar trek during walk on ice + water. I used them and was satisfied. During days walked with gum boots and after reaching camp changed the socks and the moved into my trekking shoes. hope this helps.

take a look into this picture. Help me ! | Flickr - Photo Sharing! the guy who is lifted on the guide's able shoulder declined to buy gumboots in leh and later after an hour of trek was asking for spare shoes or gumboots for survival. at some points there is a feet of water over ice.

- - - Updated - - -

also a small adventure advice. i have seen people from some trekking companies using crampons to walk on chadar. i believe crampons eliminate the fun of chadar trek and makes it a simple walk. after day one almost every one should be able to walk on ice. the fun of making through a clean sheet of glass ice without slipping is a real fun. u must walk without crampons to feel the chadar.

4. sayonee

sayonee Active Member

Thanks...yes i read the reviews about Forclaz 500, though most of them showered praise on it, some posts suggested that once it is wet, there is very less scope for drying it or draining the water. Hence got confused. Budget is around 6k (can go a bit higher if it will be really worth) but ofcourse the lesser the damage the better :)

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Well, both of us anyways require new pairs of trekking shoes, hence we will be buying something that will help us with our Chadar trek. So please suggest some names/brand/models which are water-proof ones. Yes gaitors and gumboots are pretty much on our to-buy list. So we will be buying them. Will you suggest that we can keep the gumboots to be bought from Leh? And also, if we will walk with the gumboots on in the morning and change in to the trekking shoes at the end of the day, then do we really need to invest a lot of money (6-7k) on trek-shoes? Sorry for bombarding you questions...but am really getting eager to finish the shopping for Chadar as early as possible.

And ofcourse crampons are out of question, i have read blogs where it has been strongly suggested/advised not to use them on Chadar :) Thanks again for your inputs.

Thanks again to both of you, will be looking forward to your suggestions.

5. partha

partha Active Member

Our group bought gumboots from Leh Market for Rs 300 for a pair. I do not know the prices at your location or even at here in Delhi.

Yes good trekking shoes are required since there will be points when you will hike up to some villages or climb in nearby places or caves near campsites for fun in the snow and away from chadar. During that time trekking shoes are required.

6. sayonee

sayonee Active Member

Thanks for your valuable input Partha :)

7. tsk1979

tsk1979 Reclaimed and Recycled

For ice trekking you need Forclaz 700. These cost between 7000-10000 depending upon discounts etc., on offer. However, remember these are extremely warm, and will be uncomfortable for regular use.

8. sayonee

sayonee Active Member

Thanks a lot for your suggestion....a question though, sorry for bugging, will Forclaz 600 not suit the purpose...asking as its very-much within our budget, while for 700 we have to stretch a bit.

9. tsk1979

tsk1979 Reclaimed and Recycled

I own the Forclaz 600, and while its better than the 500 when it comes to water proofing, its not build for -30. Glacier trekking is a different beast. Cold seeps in through the sole. You can however wear dual layer of woolen socks, but that will be a jugaad.

The 700 is waterproof till the ankles, and will save you from accidental frostbite if you do dunk your foot in a deep puddle.
    If you are going to do cold weather trekking often, the 700 is a valuable investment

10. sayonee

sayonee Active Member

Well, very useful bit of information...will keep this in mind and decide accordingly. I checked a couple of sites where Forclaz 700 is available for 8.4K. Thanks a lot :)