Trip to Ladakh in Oct'19

Ruma

Hello,

Four of us are planning on a 15 days trip to Ladakh.

We have earlier done the Pangong, Hanle, Turtek side.

This time, we would like to do the Zanskar, Aryaan valley side.

I have a tentative, very broad itinerary. I want to trek too for a day or two... can someone help me make this better?

Two days in Leh
Aryaan valley – 2 days are required for Drok pa community, Dah, Hanu and Beema, Gorkun and maybe a day hike to Photang?
Aryan to Kargil via Batalik and further to Shashi La pass, Drive to Himbotingla pass and further down to Kargil and overnight stay.
Kargil to Rangdum
Rangdum to Padum – stay for 2 nights
Then journey back from Padum to Kargil-Leh.

Somehow, this does got seem too exciting.

1: Wanted to know if possible to trek on the Padum to Darcha trail -- some small part of it would be good. Reru-Changpa Tsetan is possible? Phugtal monastery trek?

2: Can we include Hanle in this trip… we had visited last time but the journey to Hanle via the Rezang La was spectacular mainly for its sheer isolation.

3: We can begin the journey from Kargil – which means we arrive at Srinagar and fly out of Leh?

4: Wanted to go to Dracha - has the road been built from Padum?

Any suggestions, even a completely new itinerary is welcome..

Kindly BCM members, help me out!!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
When in October are you planning to do this trip?

Pensi La closes around mid-October, so it would be a good idea to do the trip early in October in September end to avoid being stuck en route.

You can trek a small part of trail to Darcha or do the complete trek choice is yours.

Including Hanle is possible towards the end; though it comes down to how much time you are planning to spend elsewhere.

You can do that. You can first visit Zanskar Valley and then return to Kargil, get the permit for Batalik, Dah and Hanu from the DC Office and use that route to travel to Leh.

Road from Padum to Darcha is not yet complete.

Ruma

When in October are you planning to do this trip?

Pensi La closes around mid-October, so it would be a good idea to do the trip early in October in September end to avoid being stuck en route.

You can trek a small part of trail to Darcha or do the complete trek choice is yours.

Including Hanle is possible towards the end; though it comes down to how much time you are planning to spend elsewhere.

You can do that. You can first visit Zanskar Valley and then return to Kargil, get the permit for Batalik, Dah and Hanu from the DC Office and use that route to travel to Leh.

Road from Padum to Darcha is not yet complete.

Hello Yogesh,

Thanks for the response.

We will be travelling in early October.

here is my tentative plan:

04-Oct​
Srinagar​
05-Oct​
Kargil​
06-Oct​
Rangdum​
07-Oct​
Padum​
08-Oct​
Padum​
09-Oct​
Kargil​
10-Oct​
Aryan Valley​
11-Oct​
Leh​
12-Oct​
Leh​
13-Oct​
Changma​
14-Oct​
Leh​
15-Oct​
Pangong​
16-Oct​
Hanle​
17-Oct​
Leh​
18-Oct​
Leh​
19-Jan​
Depart

1: I think I am spending too much time in Leh?

2: Do not plan to stay in Srinagar... will travel straight to Kargil.. so gain that one day more.

3: The trek been suggested is - is it worth it?
Oct 14 : Leh-Stok Palace-Trek to Changma. 3 hours (3650 metres).

After breakfast drive to Stok Palace, visit the Palace and the museum post which we can drive to village head and catch up with our trekking crew and our horses. Our walk today is gentle and easy following the Stok River upstream. The Stok gorge narrows down as we trek up further. Amazing rock Cliff Mountains, ample chances of seeing Himalayan Blue Sheep or Bharal. Enjoy a picnic lunch by the river. As we near our campsite there will be little ascend. Our camp would be surrounded by mountains. Enjoy silence of the campsite. Overnight in tents.

Oct 15 : Trek back to Stok village (3610mts.) You will be woken up by morning call with hot tea or coffee in your tent. Enjoy the morning breakfast in open air or in your dining tent. We ascend to Stok Village at 3610m, The walk is nearly all downhill taking 4 hrs through a dramatic canyon with amazing red sandstone formations. Overnight stay at Hotel.

Please aid me in making this a better trip... your experience and knowledge is what we seek!

Thanks
Ruma

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
You can easily reduce a day from Leh by adding Tso Moriri to your plan, if you have not visited it already.

As far as that trek is concerned, my suggestion would be to get in touch with Otsal (9419177276), he is a friend and runs a guest house in Leh and also conducts treks and tours. He can suggest you trek, based on what your preference and skill level. He can also arrange night stay with the nomads, in case that is something you are interested in.

Ruma

You can easily reduce a day from Leh by adding Tso Moriri to your plan, if you have not visited it already.

As far as that trek is concerned, my suggestion would be to get in touch with Otsal (9419177276), he is a friend and runs a guest house in Leh and also conducts treks and tours. He can suggest you trek, based on what your preference and skill level. He can also arrange night stay with the nomads, in case that is something you are interested in.

Thanks a lot Yogesh... I will talk to Otsal today... have never lived with nomads, will get it a shot for sure! That would be a memory I will live forever with.

And yes, Tso Moriri we have been to.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If that is the case, then instead of going via the usual Chushul route, come back to Tangste and take road to Chushul Erath. Once at Chushul, take the Chushul – Kaksang La –Mahe route. You will be able to see Mitpal Tso and Yeye Tso en route.

It would take longer to reach Hanle this way, but it would be worthwhile. You can break the journey en route at Nyoma or even Tso Moriri, before heading to Hanle.

Ruma

If that is the case, then instead of going via the usual Chushul route, come back to Tangste and take road to Chushul Erath. Once at Chushul, take the Chushul – Kaksang La –Mahe route. You will be able to see Mitpal Tso and Yeye Tso en route.

It would take longer to reach Hanle this way, but it would be worthwhile. You can break the journey en route at Nyoma or even Tso Moriri, before heading to Hanle.

Thanks a lot for this input... will work this out

Any suggestions for short treks?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
The trek from Likir to Hemis Shukpachan is short and easy. If you have more time, then you can further trek to Ang Village from Hemis Shukpachan. There are numerous other treks in Sham Valley as well. It all comes down to what you want to see during the trek and whether you want to do a famous circuit or a relatively off-beat one.

Leh to Saboo is easy and famous as well, so is its extension to Digar.

Ruma

The trek from Likir to Hemis Shukpachan is short and easy. If you have more time, then you can further trek to Ang Village from Hemis Shukpachan. There are numerous other treks in Sham Valley as well. It all comes down to what you want to see during the trek and whether you want to do a famous circuit or a relatively off-beat one.

Leh to Saboo is easy and famous as well, so is its extension to Digar.
Hey,

Thanks a lot Yogesh for the suggestions.

I am looking for a trek not to test my physical fitness levels but to enjoy scenic beauty which you otherwise cannot enjoy from the window of a car. Most of the beautiful spots on earth, you need to walk to them. Off beat or famous, its really not about been-there-done-that kinda thing. I just want to be in/with nature, that's all.

With that in mind, what is best you think.... i trust you purely!

Thanks and regards
Ruma

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
For that you would likely have to go on a multiple day trek. Since majority of these treks, including the one from Likir to Hemis Shukpachan is along the road. Markha Valley trek I believe would fit the criteria well.

Having said that, Otsal's knowledge of trekking routes is far better than mine and he might be able to find a single or a couple of day trek, which would offer something unique. Considering he is a photographer and video journalist as well, he understands the value of unique views quite well.