Trip to Rudraprayag/Chopta/Tungnath

Nitish Kumar

Not really a great start.

Had an accident somewhere near bijnor when a black dog jumped in front of car out of nowhere and even if I tried to maneuver, there was a limited scope. Thanks to Nexon build quality, seems to have lost only plastic cap and some plastic hooks

Dashcam was recording but somehow the impact didn't felt that much to it for emergency recording and by the of trip to Rudraprayag, recording about the incident was overwritten.

Anyway started off negative tone, but rest went fine after initial hiccups. After some tough traffic in Srinagar-Rudraprayag route finally managed to reach GMVN by 2.30PM.

Last update was bang on about road quality though still not sure if there was any benefit in choosing Pauri route still it took similar high time. Bad patches were there and Srinagar to Rudraprayag road currently is like gone case. Even if i choose new Tehri, there seems some jam near Rishikesh anyways. As of now thinking of going back via Garhmukteshwar might be better idea than Bijnor

Tomorrow,I would be moving to chopta and before anyone asks, no... no one asked anything on border or elsewhere. Not a single check

Nitish Kumar

Last edited:

Nitish Kumar

Day 2:

As Today wasn't planned for trek so we had time at our side. Took breakfast at GMVN and then started at around 9.30 AM. Bad roads were still there but definitely not like Rudraprayag and that too with less traffic so manageable. After AugustMuni, once Kedarnath roads parts ways then it becomes narrow and with less traffic but scenic.

Reached in 3hrs around and got room in 1.5k. Looks like peak season rates are back since tourists started coming back and place is about to get closed by first week November. Parking was still hassles even though I thought this time people aren't coming. But by evening some vehicles go back so got the place at the end.

Some snaps

Plan is to start the trek early morning 5AM tomorrow.

BTW this was the damage in start of journey yesterday

Nitish Kumar

Last edited:

Nitish Kumar

Day 3:

Started at 5AM, took almost 4hrs and all guts with 8yrs kiddo to reach to the temple. First km was harder and then last km was hardest while it got better in middle. Yet don't think that it was plain even for 5 mins at any time.

When we started it felt like no one else with us but as we been slow people started catching up with us after half route. None with mask but can't blame them since everyone was getting out of breath.

We stayed till 9.45 AM up there and considering the fact that we weren't planning to extend hotel stay, we needed to make it back before 12PM. Though I wanted to go to Chandrashila but considering the kiddo with us, this would have gotten hectic on her. Left it for next time when would plan for stay at Tungnath.

After taking a few shortcuts, finally we made it to base and checked out of hotel. We didn't wait there and after taking lunch, we started coming down. The plan was to reach back Rudraprayag or Srinagar and stay there for today but while driving on NH7, even Totaghati part got covered without trouble and the highway bypassed Rudraprayag altogether. I took it a little far and thought to drive till evening as roads were fine, target was Rishikesh but that went bad in a way.

Roads are entirely in mess in last 100kms before Rishikesh, yet we covered till 35km left for Rishikesh and settled in a hotel named Shivganga for the night.

Nitish Kumar

Last edited: