Two Months in Himachal – Dreams Do Come True!

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Sandeep-Dahiya, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Sandeep-Dahiya

Sandeep-Dahiya digitallyscrambled.com

One of the reasons for me to leave my full-time job and become a digital nomad was being able to travel anywhere and everywhere without having to worry about reaching back to Delhi by Monday morning. And spending months in Himachal had been on my mind ever since I visited this mountain heaven first time. It finally happened!

PS - This is going to a long post and I will try to focus more on photos than content.

The plan was to cover Himachal from one end to another, taking as many breaks as possible, staying close to locals and maybe learn a few things about the way of life in the mountains.

The trip started with a 28-hour train journey to Chandigarh. I had loaded my bike in the same train and it reached Chandigarh the same day, however, I reached post 5pm, after the parcel office closed for the day, so the pick-up could only happen the next day. This gave us one day to explore The City Beautiful - Chandigarh, and eat the food that the Haryanvi in me was dying to eat after spending so much time in Mumbai.​

1.jpg
    The Bike is packed and ready to go

2.jpg
    What's the point of a long train journey if you don't stuff yourself with unhealthy food?

3.jpg
    And we reached Chandigarh!

4.jpg
    Look at this Goan going bonkers over Punjabi Food!

5.jpg
    That's the stuff I was talking about!
    Shimla, Kufri and Fagu

After 2 days in The City Beautiful, it was time to get on with the actual trip. Surprisingly the bike came back without any issues in the train and needed no repairs. With the overloaded bags, we embarked towards Shimla and stayed at Fagu for the next 2 days, exploring Shimla, Kufri and nearby places. Here are some photos from those days.
    6.jpg
    I was skeptical about the luggage situation but my hand-made luggage carrier did just fine.

7.jpg
    The shop is setup in Fagu, overlooking apple orchards.

8.jpg
    Bike becomes something else altogether once the bags are taken off.

9.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.jpg

Jibhi via Jalori Pass

After Fagu, we moved towards Jibhi via Narkhand and Jalori Pass. I had visited Narkhanda earlier as well and the roads started getting rough just after that. You must have heard that the bad road leads to the most beautiful places and I started believing this only after I reached Jibhi, a little village just near Jalori. The road we took that day made heart thump wildly. I haven’t come across anything as beautiful as this place until now. The pine trees, 45 degree incline and dip on the roads and the sense of adventure – these are the memories that are going to stay in a corner of my mind forever.

We stayed at Offbeat Footprint in Jibhi for the next three days, exploring the valley and surroundings. This is where we had our first real life experience of Himachal. Tucked in a mud house at the side of river, picking plums for breakfast, hiking in the forest and taking a dip in the natural pool!

14.jpg Did you know that the road passing through Jalori is all tarmac now?

15.jpg
    Breakfast picked straight from the trees.

16.JPG
    Never tired of clicking or posting these roads

17.JPG
    Mighty Jalori Pass.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg
    There aren't a lot of places in India where you will find blueberries.

21.jpg
    She just slides wherever she sees a slope. Still learning to walk in the mountains. :D

22.jpg
    Finding hidden waterfalls is the new fave game

23.jpg
    Getting better at hiking!

24.jpg
    25.jpg

26.jpg
    Himachali houses have really small doors.

27.jpg
    That's the mud-house we stayed at

28.jpg
    Trying to do our bit.

29.jpg
    Work has to be always the priority but who minds if your office looks like this?

30.jpg
    This is taking much more time than I anticipated. Will post the remaining in the next post soon.

2. Suneesh Sharma

Suneesh Sharma Love my Iron Beast

Fabulous stuff....
    This is something really amazing....Pour in more

3. gkapoor

gkapoor Well-Known Member

Waiting for more details. We dont mind the content along with pics. So pour in!

4. bullt_SK

bullt_SK Member

Thoda alag travelogue hai...zara hatke...
    please continue.....

5. sanuroxz

sanuroxz Super User

Brilliant..
    Pour it more

6. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Fantastic! Can't wait to read the next part.

7. Alpha

Alpha Going to Neverland

wonderful stuff !!

8. Sandeep-Dahiya

I am glad you like it. Will keep posting soon!

Will try to add more content from now.

Thanks!

Thank You!

I am glad you like it Yogesh Bhai!

Thanks Sir. Means a lot!

9. Sandeep-Dahiya

MANALI

After 3 days in Jibhi, it was time for the next destination – Manali, and of-course, our first stop was Old Manali. We had made no reservations and headed straight to my “go-to place” in Old Manali – Mountain Dew Guesthouse. Bang in the middle of Old Manali, the guesthouse proved to be a good accommodation for next 3 days while we explored this part of the world bit by bit, eating at a different place every time, visiting waterfalls, monasteries and temples, and riding aimlessly in a new direction every day.
    But towns like Manali have a tendency to turn too touristy after one point, especially on weekends when every corner has a traffic jam and every street is full of people blasting Punjabi music on portable speakers.

This led us to our next destination - ShivAdya Resort and Spa in Karjan, a few kilometers from Manali on Naggar road. This 15-room property is the brain-child of Ritesh Sood, owner who stays next door and the efforts and passion put into the property is almost inspiring. True to its Himachali roots, the property is built using mud and wood.
    While in Karjan, we explored Naggar town. The majestic Naggar Castle, Roerich Art Gallery, Jana Falls, and Mr. Sood was kind enough to take us on a few trails to nearby villages leading to the most amazing waterfalls, hundreds of year-old temples and views that will make you fall in love with Himachal.

All this while in Manali, I had been hunting for a house to rent for 2-3 months. The idea was to use the house a base camp of sorts while we go gallivanting around Himachal. Renting made sense economically and was a better option to dedicate longer hours to work and cook daal chawal for a few days before and after the next leg of the trip. I managed to find a house which seemed perfect. Located on Naggar-Patlikuhal road, overlooking the Beas River, the house was newly built and fully furnished. The owner’s family lived next door and the construction work was still pending on the top floor (halted due to monsoons for the time being). The house was a 10-minute walk through fields and apple orchards, surrounded by fields that the owners used to grow each and every possible vegetable. We could just go out of front door and pick dinner for the day straight from fields and the family would keep something or the other for us. We spent almost a week settling in, catching up on work and riding a new direction almost every day.
    31.JPG

On way to Manali​

32.JPG

We came here to eat!​

33.JPG

34.JPG
    35.JPG

Naggar Castle​

36.JPG

Finding Hidden waterfalls - still fave game.​

37.JPG

Almost 800 years old Vishnu Temple​

38.JPG

Can you turn on the sun, hooman?​

39.JPG

Lazy Mountain Mornings at Shivadya Resort.
    40.JPG

And Evenings.​

41.JPG

We are falling in love with Himalayan Architecture. ​

42.JPG 43.jpg 44.jpg

Who's Ready for Monday Mornings!​

45.jpg

Monsoon has started in Himachal and like most heros, these heroes dont wear any capes.​

46.JPG

Evening from the new home in Naggar.​

47.JPG

Daily gifts from neighbors. Look at that dog, his name is Sultan and he is our new best friend! ​

48.JPG

We watched these apples go from green to red and this has been one of the most amazing experience of life.​

49.jpg

Daily walk home thought orchards and fields.
    IMG-20180910-WA0021.jpg

Getting bored of Food picks?​

IMG-20180910-WA0071.jpg

Okay this is the last one :D

52.jpg
    Somewhere in Solang Valley​

10. gkapoor

gkapoor Well-Known Member

Very Interesting!

classicrajat likes this.