shashwat6493

As per the Hindu mythology, Lord Vishnu, while transporting the elixir of life (amrit) in a kumbha (pot) dropped drops of it at four places– Haridwar, Nashik, Allahabad, and Ujjain. And hence started the Mahakumbh or Simhastha in which millions of devotees take a holy dip in the rivers at these places to wash off their sins. I’m not sure of the sins I might have committed, or even the ones washed off, but I couldn’t have missed the opportunity to attend this event, held after every 12 years at a particular location, when it was just 60 kms away from Indore. An impromptu plan materialized in moments as I drove to Ujjain at 3:30am with my flat mate for a 4 hour trip. A 4 lane highway, with tolls exempted by the Madhya Pradesh government; what else does one need. Watching the beautiful water of Kshipra river reflect the glimmer of the lights, taking a holy dip, experiencing the sun rise, overlooking the Naga sadhus teasing us by asking us to come nearer and see what they look like, getting our foreheads painted in orange and red by the pundits at the bank, having poha-jalebi for breakfast – a short yet fulfilling lifetime experience. If you haven’t been there, there’s still time. The Shahi Snan on 21st of May marks the end to it. Gear up and experience it, for the opportunity might be knocking your doors just this one time. Like its said - "there's so much to see, and so less time".

IMG_20160507_050228867 (2).jpg

IMG_20160507_045206323 (2).jpg

For more pictures:
Visit my blog:

https://awaaratraveller.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/simhastha-2016/

IMG_20160507_050228867 (2).jpg

IMG_20160507_045206323 (2).jpg

Last edited:

SwiftRide

Now, bring me that horizon...
It remains one of my dream to at least visit one of those Kumbh's. Remains a distant dream though. But it must be a mesmerizing moment for you! Good one.