UPS as Inverter?

anupamkansal

Is it possible to use a UPS as inverter if I replace the small battery by a larger battery? I have a APC 500VA unit that is lying useless.

I know std UPS battery is 12V 7.5AH and replacing it with a 12V 120AH battery will take forever to charge. but is there a way to up the charging current and will there be any other issues?

beingbaggu

I am not very sure if that is possible with the UPS make/model you have. But, the first UPS I had ( back in 99 ), an Intex model, had these lead outs for connecting to an external battery. So, my guess is that it must be possible.

I used to have this same idea and remember reading up quite a few DIY's where guys have added high capacity batteries to their APC UPS units.

Last edited:

Admin01

Administrator
Charging from the UPS is usually quite slow and charging an inverter battery through it would take quite a bit of time. Another thing, batteries these days cost more than the inverter, so it doesn't really make sense to do some jugad and end up reducing battery's life, in an effort to skip spending on something which costs half as much.

anupamkansal

I have a APC 500 VA thingy :) and was thinking alternate uses- may be I can ponk that old UPS - Battery in my car and wire it to my cars battery for use as a car inverter ....

And Yogesh I am not trying to skimp on a inverter ... that deal is done for and sealed ... I was just curious and thinking various uses for my old UPS. Also, UPS rapid charger their batteries to ~80% in an hour or two ... for the last % they charge slowly ... this way they are ready for successive power failures ... same is true for inverters too.

Earlier the difference between UPS and inverters was the waveforms and the change over times, for computers the waveform had to be close to sine wave and change over a few milliseconds, now with improvements in electronics, that diff seems to have vanished. Even the inverter you brought is i think sold as a home UPS!!

cheers
Anupam Kansal

beingbaggu

yup ... but could never get it to work .... may be due to proprietary cables :(
Now now!! 3 months back I was desperately searching for a Smart UPS in the 500 VA range and I couldn't find any. APC has stopped making them in that range now. That's a gem of an UPS that you have.

The cable, proprietary, I guess not. I think one end of the cable would be RJ 11 ( modem plug ) and the other end would be RJ 232 (serial port plug )

anupamkansal

If you want it, u can have it :) its at my home in gzb ... if its not too late ... u will need to just put in a battery and it should be good to go.

beingbaggu

If you want it, u can have it :) its at my home in gzb ... if its not too late ... u will need to just put in a battery and it should be good to go.
Thanks for the kind offer Anupam. And as luck would have had it. I have shifted to G'bad too - Indirapuram.

But, no I cannot have it. The thing is I have already bought an APC UPS. 550 VA ( not so smart UPS :( ) after my failed attempt at acquiring a SMART UPS @ under 2k bucks :mrgreen:.

I suggest you keep it. Would come handy when your laptop battery gives up the ghost. And the SMART options come very very handy.