Using GPS on Nokia E71

shashankaggarwal

The Roadster
Hey guys,

As you know I am off to Leh in less than 48 hours. I have swapped my E63 with a friends E71, just for the GPS thing. Now I do not have much time to learn things on it by experimenting, as I have lot of things to take care of for the trip.

I am sure, there are lot of members you would have used the GPS on phone, can you please share how to go about it ? Its limitations and usefulness ?

Regards
Shashank

codelust

Shyam
It is pretty good. I have done Bikaner to Delhi more or less non-stop on a single charge with GPS on. That should give you a fair idea of battery life.

Cheapest option is MMI's software, but it has perceptible lag at higher speeds. Satguide does not work in it (because of the QWERTY keyboard). Nokia Maps has the best UI, but it is really expensive.

It does have Assisted GPS, which uses a cellphone tower to get a lock, which also means that in areas with little mobile coverage it can create problems. But from praveenkm's epic journey, it seems to have little trouble on that front when used with the Nokia sports tracker, but that is not used for directions etc.

Else, it is a phone that will go into history as one of Nokia's best ever. The OS is lousy, both Symbian v4 and v5 don't belong in the modern era, but it is rock solid and built like a tank.

Hope this helps.

shashankaggarwal

The Roadster
right, so you mean to say that I need to purchase and install a software on it for it to work. What good maps or yahoo maps and all ?

codelust

Shyam
Yes. Unless the phone is still pretty new and the Nokia Maps trial period is still on. Never used Yahoo maps on the phone, their mobile software is a disaster of legendary proportions.

From the feedback here on BCMT, there is really nothing like really good maps for India, especially in remote areas. For me, it has worked well on most highways.

MMI's InavConnect sells at 2k, which is a one-year license. If you are just curious and don't need turn-by-turn navigation that is done using voice prompts, just use Google Maps and not pay an extra penny. If you feel ki dil maange more, pony up the 2k and buy MMI :)

shashankaggarwal

The Roadster
I have just activated the Nokia Maps thingy on my phone. Its a 90 day free trial.

Now trying to explore the software, anyone has any experience of using it ?

codelust

Shyam
It has the nicest UI and pretty uncomplicated, the maps coverage is not all that great, though.

This should help you in exploring it: Nokia - Nokia Maps - FAQ

If you can find the time, download the map loader and install the region's map in it. That should spare you from having to download the map data every time you use it.

Last edited:

shashankaggarwal

The Roadster
yeah...but it need to offline so much. don't know what to do. is it possible on Nokia maps to plan my route on my PC and then transfer that to phone.

Anyhow now cheking the FAQs

codelust

Shyam
Having worked with technology for most of my life what I can say is to never trust it as your only option :D

You can set a destination and follow direction on Nokia Maps, but I am not sure if that counts as planning an entire journey. Ovi has a feature to save a route, but don't think it can sync that with Nokia Maps.

It also does not do a native import of GPX formats, which sucks.

shashankaggarwal

The Roadster
well, I am not dependent on this device. The only thing I want it for is speed and Altitude. That too just for snob :D. And i am so excited about the trip, therefore thought lets keep the maps as well.

Also founf the MG maps thing, right now caching all the maps that I will need.

Ash

Having worked with technology for most of my life what I can say is to never trust it as your only option :D

You can set a destination and follow direction on Nokia Maps, but I am not sure if that counts as planning an entire journey. Ovi has a feature to save a route, but don't think it can sync that with Nokia Maps.

It also does not do a native import of GPX formats, which sucks.
Hi,

Was searching for Sports Tracker and saw this thread. Had certain queries......
I have a N73 (Music Edition) and have downloaded the sofware from nokia's site. Version 1.71 which works well for this model. However, when i start the application it asks for a pairing device. Do i need an additional receiver (like LD-3W) or my phone has a built-in receiver. What do i do in order to make my phone a gps receiver. BTW im planning to visit ladakh in sep and would want to utilize the application (Like Praveen did while on his trip to ladakh :)