Using GPS on Nokia E71

popsha

Incredible Bulk
You can get a Nokia LD and use bluetooth. Also there are cheaper GPS deices available in the market (pm Salil/CBZian) for info on that.

kunal

I got E75 and I could not figure out how to use GPS. I have not activated 90days trial yet.
I could not even get latitude and longitude using default GPS app.

so, some n00b questions

Is there any free offline map available?
If not free then which is best indian map?
how to activate nokia map 90days trial?
how to get latitude and longitudes using GPS?

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre
Hi,

Was searching for Sports Tracker and saw this thread. Had certain queries......
I have a N73 (Music Edition) and have downloaded the sofware from nokia's site. Version 1.71 which works well for this model. However, when i start the application it asks for a pairing device. Do i need an additional receiver (like LD-3W) or my phone has a built-in receiver. What do i do in order to make my phone a gps receiver. BTW im planning to visit ladakh in sep and would want to utilize the application (Like Praveen did while on his trip to ladakh :)
NST works well on phones with inbuilt GPS receivers, though there are versions for non-GPS phones, am not sure how good it is. The N73 doesnt have an inbuilt receiver.

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre
I got E75 and I could not figure out how to use GPS. I have not activated 90days trial yet.
I could not even get latitude and longitude using default GPS app.

so, some n00b questions

Is there any free offline map available?
If not free then which is best indian map?
how to activate nokia map 90days trial?
how to get latitude and longitudes using GPS?
To get latitude and longitude info- download or start using Nokia Sports tracker, which is completely free. The hook-up time to the satellite might take a minute or even extend to 10 or 15, so you have to be patient.

The 90 days trial is for guided satellite navigation using Nokia maps. To say the least Nokia maps is a piece of crap- venture out of the city and it shows you nothing. At least what I have experienced- this bloody thing doesnt know where NH17 is :(

And I dont think you will ever need the voice guided navigation feature coz mostly in the city you'd be relying on your own know-hows than asking that stupid thing of how to go ;)

roamer

Hemant Jawale
HI Kunal,

You can download Google maps (Mobile version)on your phone. Which is very good and free. I am using it through GPRS Connection. It shows your location, also you can get road directions by specifying start and end location. You can view it in map/satellite/hybrid settings.

Further if you have inbulit or external GPS connection, you can connect it thru also.

Can not be ultimate reliable as the imagery is little old though!

Else you can purchase from mapmyindia. They sale GPS connectors also..around 3K.

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre
HI Kunal,

You can download Google maps (Mobile version)on your phone. Which is very good and free. I am using it through GPRS Connection. It shows your location, also you can get road directions by specifying start and end location. You can view it in map/satellite/hybrid settings.

Further if you have inbulit or external GPS connection, you can connect it thru also.

Can not be ultimate reliable as the imagery is little old though!

Else you can purchase from mapmyindia. They sale GPS connectors also..around 3K.
How accurate is google maps? I feel since it uses the GPRS- it primarily uses the cell tower antennas to show your location.

roamer

Hemant Jawale
Yes Deepak, True it uses the cell tower antenna's location update for showing your location.

It has the Connect thru GPS option as well.

As I am using Nokia E50, It doesnot have inbuilt GPS, nor I tried connecting any external one. But anyways why not give it a try. :)

The directions shown are quite good I must say, It shows the Distance/Travel Time/ and the route on the map between 2 locations you provide.

kunal

Thanks for all the replies.

I will download Nokia sports tracker and check it.

I am allready using google maps and it does the job but it uses cell tower antenas only. In my phone it keeps on showing seeking for GPS satelites but never finds any so always little off the mark in showing the position.

Isn't there any map available for nokia phones which can show the direction without connecting to GPRS?

Ash

You can get a Nokia LD and use bluetooth. Also there are cheaper GPS deices available in the market (pm Salil/CBZian) for info on that.
Thx popsha. Today i got to use a friends N95 8 GB. Its got an inbuilt receiver. I guess its better to have an inbuilt receiver to avoid connectivity problem... bluetooth et al. Tried markets in del/ggn for the receiver but was informed that the same was not launched in india. Though saw it in amazon for 22 pounds:)
The software gps data(in the phone) is not as good as Sports Tracker, which has cpl of graphical comparisons. Wud download it. E71 has the Sports Tracker software. But i guess will wait for E72 :)

popsha

Incredible Bulk
There are other bluetooth GPS devices available in the market which are cheaper than the Nokia one.

The plus side of inbuilt GPS is that you just need to charge the phone with car charger, but that can be downside too as with GPS on the battery consumption is high, so if you are traveling on a bike this can pose a problem