Volvo B11R Experiences India

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
Hi all.I am starting this separate thread for Volvo B11R buses which have been recently introduced in India past a few months and already many of the south operators ( as usual ) have inducted them into their fleet.

My first experience in a Volvo B11R in short-
I had an opportunity of travelling in a multiaxle Volvo B11R from Belgaum ( Karnataka ) to Bangalore during April 2013. It was a SRS travels Ahmedabad-Bangalore schedule.This was my Day journey.I had made online booking and the fare of Volvo B11R from Belgaum to Bangalore (500kms) was Rs.617/-.The scheduled arrival at Belgaum was 7:00 a.m however the bus arrived at Hotel Ramdev ,Belgaum at 7.20 a.m.It left immediately.The bus was fresh looking just a few months old.However B11R doesnt look long as such.Its just 70 cms more than B9R.
The B11R soon picked great speeds on highway (owing to its 370hp engine )doing a constant of 110 kmph as shown in my GPS.It stopped for breakfast for about 40 minutes and later for lunch for 30 minutes and finally reached Bangalore ( Navarang theatre stop ) at exact 2.30pm.The driving was superb with no harsh maneouvres and hard braking. So thats 7 hours 10 mins for 498 kms.If you exclude the in between halt timings,that would be just 6 hours flat out !!!.The highest speed attained was 134 kmph. It was an awesome maiden Volvo B11R experience for me.Kudos to SRS Travels

SRS MULTIAXLE VOLVO B11R

Last edited:

venkateshk

I think off late all the large operators are choosing leather seats. New Volvo (B11R, B9R) buses bought by Kesineni, SRS, and VRL have leather seats. This will solve the bed bugs problem.

Nice short review drvbs!

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
I think off late all the large operators are choosing leather seats. New Volvo (B11R, B9R) buses bought by Kesineni, SRS, and VRL have leather seats. This will solve the bed bugs problem.

Nice short review drvbs!
Thank you

And I never knew the advantage of having leather seats is that it keeps the bugs away.Thanks for the info

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
Sharma B11R Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore bus gives online booking for cut routes Bangalore-Belgaum , Belgaum-Mumbai and Mumbai-Belgaum now at just 700/-

Sharma B11R at hotel ramdev,Belgaum for dinner.
Full credits and Image courtesy : Mr.Biswajit

Last edited:

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
Kesineni planning to launch Hyderabad-Delhi service with 3 Volvo B11R coaches, another update from Facebook. The person, Rajesh Reddy said they started the ground work in Delhi, may setting up agents.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/154526294676081/

Can anyone confirm these speculations?
Oh cool if its true. Hope Kesineni makes that leap.

I e-mailed VRL two days back asking their plans about Mumbai-New Delhi direct Volvo service (as they came up with Mum-Jaipur B9R recently ).However The VP of Vrl mailed back saying that currently they have no such plans as they are facing issues for that route.

Whats the cost B11R on road ? any idea ?

- - - Updated - - -

A traveller vjkumar by Kesineni's new B11R Mumbai-Pune-Banaglore second bus says Kesineni took 17 hrs 15 min as against 16 hrs mentioned on their website ( may be due to traffic, present NH4 conditions and some rains ) however the traveller found the service to be very good .

Last edited:

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
SRS B11R AHMEDABAD-BANGALORE semisleeper passing through BELGAUM in morning rains.
KA 01 AC 1301

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
SRS B11R 8.30a.m BANGALORE-AHMEDABAD WITH THE BACKGROUND OF SUVARNA SOUDHA,NH4,BELGAUM ( 3RD JULY 5.19 P.M)

Last edited:

deepak.yerr

Review Visakhapatnam to Bangalore by SVR Volvo B11R

Date : 10/07/2013
Fare : Rs1290 booked through Abhibus using code ABHIBUS6 got a discount of Rs103 so fare is Rs1187/-
Departure : 1410(1400)
Arrival at Tin factory Bangalore : 855 (700-730)
I have to travel from Visakhaptnam to Bangalore and checked fares in Abhibus SVR is listed at Rs1290/- for 1400,1600 dep and SRS Rs1199/- for 1400 dep VRL Rs 1200/-. As I wanted to travel in SVR that too Volvo B11R I booked ticket and selected seat No.17 5th row LHS. I reached Ramatakies in Vizag where the main office is situated as I can have a look at the bus and take some pics. I arrived at 1350 and just then the bus arrived and parked in front of the office. I gave my luggage to the helper and entered into the bus. The bus is fresh and clean with blue interior curtains blue and top upholstery is blue in color looking pleasant and maroon colored Shawls are folded and placed on the seats. The seats are made of cloth upholstery and head rests are covered with covers of SVR name printed. I went upto the last row and found the reclining position of the three seats in between the windows seats are sufficient and slightly less for window seats but the leg room is less then front rows. Even the AC console is provided till the last row unlike earlier Volvo B7R where last row doesn’t have a AC console(travelled in Bharathi Volvo B7R) this is definetly better for last row travelers. A remainder is pasted for service record that SRI HARSHA Automobiles, Hyderabad servicing at 41500km on 29/5/2013 and next service is at 80,000km. There are two drivers and one helper and interestingly both the drivers are from Orissa and helper a telugu guy. There are not dressed in uniform and the second driver got the sheet and checked the travelers. There are 5 from the pickup point and the list contains names of 48 travellers till Guntur of the 53 seats in the bus. The helper garlanded the bus with flowers broke a coconut with camphor lighted and finally the bus left at 1410 10 min behind schedule. The next pickup is Gurudwar 1.5km 5 passengers boarded, next NAD 10km 5 travellers , Gajuwaka 18km 2 travellers and final count for Vizag is 17 travellers 12 to Bangalore and 5 to Tirupathi which is a good count for a mid weekday unlike my two journeys in Sindhu and Kesineni where the count is only 9 passengers. By the time it left Gajuwaka it is 1450 and is 20 min behind schedule though it is a four lane all the buses take 40min because of city traffic and 10 signals in between. The bus picked up pace and driving was decent with out much braking and hard acceleration and at 1526 reached HP club fuel station after Anakapalle. The fuel station has washrooms for both male and female. Unlike Volvo B9R where the fuel tank is behind the front wheel it is located ahead of rear axle next to luggage compartment. 440lt of Diesel filled into the tank and this is a regular amount of fuel pumped its belly according to the pumpman and Driver. Went inside checked the odometer the level of fuel gradually increased and reached 485 lt with 1170km range projecting a mileage of 2.42km, finally left the place at 1543. The driver quickly picked up speed as the road is free and cruising constantly and reached Rajahmundry morampudi junction at 1755/1800 (1720) covered 156.5km in 2hr 12min. There are two toll stations between without much traffic and delay as the driver has taken a return ticket. 10 travellers boarded and thus resumed journey and reached Ravulapalem at 1830/1835 (1800) a distance of 30km 2-3 travellers got in and next pickup is Tanuku 1905/1910 (1830) TP gudem bypass 1925 and Eluru bypass 2008/2015 (1930) thus a late of nearly 45min. It Reached hotel Veduka after Hanuman junction and about 30km from benz circle Vijayawada. It was a Reliance A1 Plaza and only a restaurant is functioning where SVR, SRS , VRL are stopping for dinner and its on the Right side of the highway and the bus moved in opposite lane for about 200 m to enter into restaurant.
Just as we were entering into I saw a white beauty leaving and it’s the 1400 dep SRS travels and one more white beauty is parked already VRL 1430 dep and may have entered just 10 min back. I was really disappointed seeing both services ahead of SVR as both the buses are not as fast as SVR and I used to see SRS reaching at 1200 hrs at VSP for 2-3 times in that week for 1815 tinfactory dep taking 17hr 45 min against 17-17.5hrs by SVR. VRL bus is KA25C 8615 and the one I have travelled in Jan from blore to Vsp which took 18hr 45min from KR Pura and never exceeded 80-90kmph. A 10min delay and 17min fuel stop and every pickup taking 5 min particularly for Ravulapalem, Tanuku and Eluru are the reasons for delay though the bus arrived late. I was totally disappointed at this stage as SVR couldn’t keep up pace with other operators. The power of the bus is not utilized and I believe they have never crossed 100kmph mark and also the evening traffic from Rajahmundry to Dinner stop. Left the place with second driver at the steering at 2125 and reached Benz circle Vijayawada at 2203/2205 (2100) and 4 travellers boarded. At this point I thought we will reach Tin factory at 800 covering a distance of 650km with two stops in between at Guntur and Tirupathi. Crossed Krishna river at Vijayawada and the road upto Chilakaluripet is under 6 laning process and I bet It will take another 6 months to complete as the pace of work is slow with of diversions for building overbridges . Reached Guntur and entered into town and stopped in front of bustand at 2245/2248 4 travellers boarded and the agent settled cash and we proceeded and entered into highway at 2300 hrs the bus stopped and the second driver went into luggage compartment. The drive is slow and could not pickup pace because of road works and drizlling although from Rajahmundry and road is wet. I slept off and suddenly woke up at 100 when the bus slowed down at OngoleTangtur checkpost and distance covered is 120km in 2hrs and traffic is moving slowly just then spotted brown colored Volvo B9R of Kesineni doing Bhubaneswar to Bangalore on the left row struggling behind a truck and our bus overtaking. I stayed awake and bus is not doing great speeds because of traffic due to long trailers and and after 10 min Kesineni went from the left lane crossing and was ahead of us and we were trailing behind for another 5 min and then I couldn’t spot. The driver is not picking speed eventough the road is free and finally again slept and woke up at around 300 when it was reaching Gudur 40km after Nellore I checked GPS and found Tirupathi 90km and thought it will reach at 430 against my earlier expectation of 400 at Vijayawada seeing the pace of drive. I stayed awake and we reached Naidupet and took right turn for tirupathi from Chennai highway and stopped at tea stop at 330. The cleaner was recultant to open the door as all the passengers will get down and will take time. Lot of people got down had biobreak and some of them even started to having Tea. I could sense why the cleaner is recultant when I saw the scene outside and passengers not getting in even after driver is at seat and it lasted for 5 min The driver is slightly irritated and moved to reach Triupathi at 435 covering a distance of 68km in 60 min in 2 lane road. 7 passengers got down and the bus resumed journey at 443 and stopped outside Chittoor bypass in an Indianoil Fuel station at 557 for driver change and driver called one female traveler about the rest room a good gesture and moved from there at 607 with first driver at steering. The drive was slow due to narrow highway Chennai-Blore NH4 and heavy traffic due to LPG gas tankers and Car Carriers. There was a ghat stretch of about 10km ahead of palamner with sharp curves and the bus had to negotiate curves and overtakes long trailers. I really felt the disadvantage of extra long vehicle strugging to maneuver trailers in curves as they are moving like a train. Reached palamner at 645 after covering 35 km from break point and some more passengers are asking the driver for bio break including female travelers the driver proceeded for 30 min as the road is narrow without place for stopping and after entering into Karnataka 4 lane expansion is under way and finally stopped at outside BP bunk at 730 which has washroom and moved at 737 entered into 4 lane at mudgabal and Bangalore is 96km ahead. At 750 crossed the lanco toll and saw the Kesineni Volvo B9R there for biobreak which is the usual stop. We proceeded further and moving Kesineni overtook us and moved ahead . It stopped bypass junction of kolar for drop and we proceeded further below another flyover for dropping at kolar. We joined the highway and after travelling for some distance again Kesineni over took us. As Kesineni is speed locked at 100kmph I came to an understanding that the drivers are driving cautiously at 90-100kmph only as the buses are relatively new and even the Volvo product and must have been instructed by management. Finally reached Tin factory at 855/900 after stopping for drops at two places for 5 min. Thus the last lap of 78-80km took 60 min for both Kesineni and SVR. Rajesh travels sleeper from Vja arrived at 900 which we overtook in palamner ghat section so it took 12 min more to cover the distance. The cleaner announced all majestic passengers to get down at Tinfactory and will go to HSR via marthahalli 930 and finally my journey ended at HSR petrol bunk at 945. I came to know from cleaner words that the bus arrives around 900 – 930 at HSR and is skipping corporation circle most of the days when it reaches Tin Factory after 800. Lot of buses of SVR, santhadurga, Ideal, Kaveri are already parked there.
Odometers reading
Vizag SVR office : 76220.5
HP Fuel station : 76270 1170km 485lt Tank full
Rajahmundry : 76426.5
Dinner break : 76582.7
Tin factory : 76268.5 70km 35lt.
Conclusion : The fuel consumed is 450lt for 1000km run and it translates to 2.22kmpl @ Rs54.67. The traffic is heavy from Rajahmundry upto Naidupetjn on NH5 with lot of trailers and multiaxle trucks moving at slow pace and roads going for 270km upto Nellore. The travelling time between Vijayawada and tirupathi is now 6.5hrs from earlier 5.45-600 for late night drive of buses. SVR should have avoided pickup at Guntur as Vijayawada service take care of at 2000hrs. 2 services from Visakhpatnam to blore 1400 and 1500dep are going into Guntur now after summer vacation and I also feel that tirupathi should be avoided for this service as the other two services will arrive later and convenient timings and this bus can run faster avoiding 30 min delay for two cities. The travelers will not be lost as they have multiple departures. But looking at the fuel consumption and both the stops will reduce the operators revenue for this service by 11000 as total 11 travelers utilized the bus. The revenue is as follows 1300*17=22100
1150*10=11500, 1050*13=13650 and 1000*8=8000 so total 55250. Fuel cost 26600 and fixed costs like EMI, road tax, toll charges, crew salary, agents commission, maintenance and tips will add. There was no parcels service or demand in this route VJA/VSP unlike Mumbai and hyderabad routes.

- - - Updated - - -

Pics of SVR Volvo B11R

Attachments