Volvo B9R

Discussion in 'Buses and Taxis in India' started by gideon1000, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sandeep9868

sandeep9868 Sirfira Trekker

I sometimes wonder, a common thing in south is considered to be the ultra-ultra luxery in north:(
    Not much buses on common routes and almost dying service.

2. popsha

popsha Incredible Bulk

The roads up north are not that good, maybe thats the reason ... or the transporters are not ready to invest much. Anyways up north there are not many private transporters

3. darth_lucifer

darth_lucifer Rides R Us

There are sleeper volvos too(B7R and B9R),which mostly ply between mumbai-gujrat-rajasthan.Volvos which are fitted with sleeper berths,so that you can lie down and doze till you reach your destination.

4. gideon1000

gideon1000 Speedster

I have travelled thro SRM volvo and really like their service coz they are in time and also they won't bother about the bus being filled up. Even when the buses are half filled, they use the by-pass route for travel instead of getting in every town to board passengers. I think that should be followed by every operators so that they can stick to their time.

5. rajuustad

rajuustad KL-07 to KL-01

That is a valid point..my return trip had just about 30-35 passengers. There were 4 rows completely empty behind my seat. But they were not at all bothered and started the bus almost on time. I too sat with the luxury of 2 seats. I did not have a co-passenger. Well..How I wished the 4 beautiful ladies that took the first row were shifted to these empty seats :D

6. bunnypunia

bunnypunia Member

nah nah..this aint the reason. One of the main reasons is that North India is flat, devoid of hills, which allows trains to be fast, quick.
    Case in the Mumbai-Bangalore trains that have to pass thru lot of ghats and hence take 22-24hrs to cover this. Volvos do the same in 17-18 hours coz of wide flowing highways.

Whereas in the north, say the Delhi-Jammu route, most trains take 9-11 hours, beating the Volvos easily.

Second main reason is that Volvo being a Bangalore based company first gave more importance to that market : Down south. However, the craze is for sure picking up in the North. new routes like Delhi-Lucknow, Lucknow-Allahabad etc are coming up. Royal Cruiser in East is also doing good on routes like Kolkata-Siliguri, Kolkata-Puri etc. Even our Delhi-Shimla and Delhi-Manali routes are picking up with the latter having no less than 6 Volvo buses leaving daily :)

7. SachinOnTop

SachinOnTop Full Use Else Lose

@Bunny: Very true.

And the name 'VOLVO' has such a craze here that most of local private buses doing inter-state trips have displayed it on atleast half-a-dozen places on a single bus! Trains emanating from Delhi, etc. (like Rajdhani & Shatabdi) are very prominent. A commoner here prefer to take a train to do a journey of some 4-500+ KMs. Roads are also good, but still, trains are preferred coz besides being slightly cheaper, they save a lot of time and hassels.

No doubt, here in northern india, the brand 'Volvo' is considered synonymous to comfort, luxury and being exotic. Private operators are hurriedly pouring in such 'luxury' buses. But the maintenance of these exorbitantly priced buses is not up to the mark. One can see the once pristine condition deteriorating in a quick 2-3 years!

I have seen original Volvos here in Delhi with patch-work done on tyres and fused/non-working projection headlamps! Infact one such operator has crossed the limit by using a local gas-filled front windscreen instead of buying it from OEM!

North India has got roads, and money, for such buses. But where we lack is in maintaining them to what these fantastic buses deserves actually.

8. dozerbull

dozerbull Well-Known Member

All way around 3 years back were the Golden Age for Omnibuses as tnstc or setc didnt started any ultradeluxe(airbus) service then. The way we enter omni bus stand, koyambedu itself is very interesting for us to see all huge buses in sparkling white and colorful shades. Actually the way of private travels treating their customers itself is pleasing. As their was only limited number of buses, the competition was healthy and worthy.
    the list of operators as for I know
    chennai-coimbatore = kpn (volvo, non-ac, AL 2+1 ac) , parveen semisleeper, conti volvo, oasis travels.
    che-madurai route kpn (volvo, non-ac), madurairatha 2+2, joy travels 2+2, and some 1 or 2 other operators.
    in chennai-trichy it is again kpn, joy travels, kartheepan ,PRN
    chennai-tirunelveli nagercoil=renganathan travels (2+1), rathimeena (volvo), srm (volvo, non-ac semisleeper), parveen kinglong, Universal travels.
    chennai-tanjore=rathimeena fully dominated this route
    chennai-bangalore=of course Kpn,Sharma, Raj national express:grin: (it was the first time i saw volvo mark-III)
    When SETC first introduced UD buses they started with few buses in major routes like Madurai-Chennai, Madurai-Tirupati, Chennai-Bangalore just like trial run. But it was a BIG HIT even to the surprise of the govt themselves. Within two years Setc and Tnstc changed many of their normal services to UD service. In chennai-bangalore route there is no normal services all are UD service only , likewise same for Coimbatore, Madurai, Trichy route. This was a great defeat for Omni bus operators because as far the number of UD buses increased there was also more new operators (eg., ABT, ARC, shama sardar etc, etc). There was a heavy competition prevailing.
    That is why the way of PVT Operators went downhill. their buses lacked maintenance, drivers and staff using abusive languages over passengers and all. In this case whom to blame. :rolleyes:

9. bunnypunia

bunnypunia Member

true.. operators like these do give volvo a bad name. on the other hand, some operators here in west/south maintain they buses like anything.

10. gideon1000

gideon1000 Speedster

Ya. I agree completely... every vehicle needs maintenance. Also the staff have to behave decently to passengers. This will also create a good name among passengers...