Volvo B9R

HRSH

Bangalore-Vellore Parveen Corona Sleeper

I usually prefer Volvo but for after seeing some good reviews in Sleeper segments I wanted to give Sleeper a try. Mettur Super service Bhartbenz is in my 'to be tried' list, Tranzking Sleeper is also getting good reviews. Recently Parveen started a regular afternoon Corona Snooze bus to Chennai. Also the price is Rs.150/' cheaper than the formers. I booked it. Reached Parveen Office at 02.55 pm, surprisingly the whole Madiwala is deserted not a single bus was there, by 3.05 came the Coimbatore Benz. (Damn! That bus was so noisy even the ground was tremoring). At 1510 came my bus boarding starting immediately meanwhile Tranzking passed us we started at 1530 pm the traffic was less, luckily we escaped Madiwala Market signal had pickup at Madiwala Police station, Silkboard overtook Coimbatore Benz and took the elevatedway. Had a quiet long stop at Electronic city some 15 mins wasted here, Tranzking joined us.

I booked the upper single berth, it had one adjustable AC Vent to the face and one fixed Ac vent to the legs, no shawls were provided, Movie was played. The Bus has amazing pickup it reaches 100 in notime also the NVH is considerably less inside compared to the previous Corona Models. One thing I understood why People prefer Sleepers more than Seaters is within 1/2 hour after the Movie played almost everyone switched off the TV, the attendant came inside and found no noise is heard he switched off the Entertainment Unit. The whole bus went to sleep I just took a peek from the top and found everyone closed the curtains and settled in privacy.

The upper berth takes body rolls especially when the driver do some Fast & Furious overtake you'll have to grab the bar which is already cold due to the AC the bed is OK to sleep but strictly you cant sit, I am a normal 5.6' guy and I cant able to sit. (I blame the Corona Model and not Parveen). But if you lie down you can go for a nap quickly. But I found the lower berths have good sitting positions. and wider than the Single berths.

Had a 15 mins break at Pallikonda Sai Bhavan, MSS Benz was already parked there once we started Tranzking Sleeper just entered the Motel. Finally dropped at Vellore bypass at 1840 pm.

Pros
1. Crew 5/5 (Once again Parveen has the best professional crew, excellent driving, the driver maintained 100 all the time)
2. Timing 5/5 (Luckily we escaped from all traffic the running time is 03 hours 10 mins if we exclude biobreak and all it is just 02 hours 30 mins. That is some seriously good timing.
3. Charger, Lights working, AC is good, Cabin noise is less.

Cons
1. The Upper berth is not suitable for sitting position. If you are heavy-duty or tall person please avoid the upper berth.

Verdict: Definitely recommended
When you compare Corona with the other sleepers, I think it is a hard product !

deepam

Super User
Yea media is still focusing on Kallada even today on polling day. From what I understood charges of attempt to murder etc has been imposed. Sadly just read that the episode has taken a communal tone with charges from rightwing that KL govt is trying to do harm to Kallada intentionally for certain reasons.
++++++++++++++++++++++
Kallada should really take this episode seriously and retrospect.
On Generic note, once people lose trust; surviving in business in not easy. Organization profit is directly dependent on Customer TRUST.

We understand BUS OPERATION is not EASY, but if you do not follow the required Protocol in Servicing the bus; ensuring adequate rest for Crew; In-patience will get built up and eventually will create more harm than good. Damage will be more than the regular operations.

deepam

Super User
TRAVEL EXPERIENCE IN AMBAARI DREAM CLASS on its 3rd RUN

Trip Code: 2114BNGSEC
Ambaari Dream Class
Volvo B11R Sleeper
KA57F3883
Dep [Sch/Act]: 21:14 / 21:20
Arr [Sch/Act]: 06:45 / 7:05 @ HYD MGBS [assumed].
ODO km < 3000 km
Fare: INR 1600

This service was launched on Apr 15/16, 2019. Immediately I booked my trip for the weekend. So I was really excited for the trip.
I reached Majestic an hour before, the bus was put into the Terminal platform by then. People were curious to see the bus. This bus is replacing Ambaari plying on this route. That day Ambaari was also there as on the reverse direction from Secunderabad that bus was FULL, so this bus had to be deployed.
I went around capturing the photos of the bus.
At 20:50 hours the doors were opened, kept the luggages in the boot and entered the bus. As I entered the bus and occupied the berths. The first diasspointment was the absence of Entertainment system. For trip between Bangalore & Hyderabad entertainment system is not needed; for other like Pune and Vijayawada it is going to be missed.
THe bus started and the ride was smooth. B11R engine noise was very low. My cell phone battery was low, so I had kept for charging. Then I realised that when mobile is charging one cannot leaning the back to the wall. This makes it uncomfortable to sit on the berth.
I was awake till the bus crossed Yelahanka; close to 21:50 hrs and then I dozed off. Bus stopped for Dinner break at Hotel Swagath Delicacy. Captured pic of front posing with Non AC Sleeper and Scania.
Similarly captured 3 buses together from Rear.
Started post Dinner around 23:20 hrs, around 3:45 hrs bus had stopped for Bio-break post Alampur cross near Truck Bay. Captured another pic.
Bus reached Raikal Toll at 6:01 hrs. Then at 7:00 hrs I got off at Afzalgunj.
Bus is speed locked at 85 kmph, expected to be opened to 90-95 kmph.

Pros:
  1. Comfortable to sleep for 6' person.
  2. Smooth B11R engine low NVH
Cons:
  1. High fare INR 600/- above ACC fares. I do not see it logical to have such high fares! Being Compared to 53 seater and 40 seater?
  2. No Entertainment system
  3. At few stretches found hard bumps. I donot know where as I have driven multiple times of this highway but do not recollect any spot that can cause it.
Will I take this bus again? On a weekday, I get similar bus at much cheaper fare be it Orange or MST or VKaveri.

Exterior pics:
IMG_20190420_204108.jpg

IMG_20190420_203712.jpg

IMG_20190420_204119.jpg

IMG_20190420_204140.jpg

Morning at 3:45 AM
IMG_20190421_034214.jpg

Last edited:

HRSH

TRAVEL EXPERIENCE IN AMBAARI DREAM CLASS on its 3rd RUN

Trip Code: 2114BNGSEC
Ambaari Dream Class
Volvo B11R Sleeper
KA57F3883
Dep [Sch/Act]: 21:14 / 21:20
Arr [Sch/Act]: 06:45 / 7:05 @ HYD MGBS [assumed].
ODO km < 3000 km
Fare: INR 1600

This service was launched on Apr 15/16, 2019. Immediately I booked my trip for the weekend. So I was really excited for the trip.
I reached Majestic an hour before, the bus was put into the Terminal platform by then. People were curious to see the bus. This bus is replacing Ambaari plying on this route. That day Ambaari was also there as on the reverse direction from Secunderabad that bus was FULL, so this bus had to be deployed.
I went around capturing the photos of the bus.
At 20:50 hours the doors were opened, kept the luggages in the boot and entered the bus. As I entered the bus and occupied the berths. The first diasspointment was the absence of Entertainment system. For trip between Bangalore & Hyderabad entertainment system is not needed; for other like Pune and Vijayawada it is going to be missed.
THe bus started and the ride was smooth. B11R engine noise was very low. My cell phone battery was low, so I had kept for charging. Then I realised that when mobile is charging one cannot leaning the back to the wall. This makes it uncomfortable to sit on the berth.
I was awake till the bus crossed Yelahanka; close to 21:50 hrs and then I dozed off. Bus stopped for Dinner break at Hotel Swagath Delicacy. Captured pic of front posing with Non AC Sleeper and Scania.
Similarly captured 3 buses together from Rear.
Started post Dinner around 23:20 hrs, around 3:45 hrs bus had stopped for Bio-break post Alampur cross near Truck Bay. Captured another pic.
Bus reached Raikal Toll at 6:01 hrs. Then at 7:00 hrs I got off at Afzalgunj.
Bus is speed locked at 85 kmph, expected to be opened to 90-95 kmph.

Pros:
  1. Comfortable to sleep for 6' person.
  2. Smooth B11R engine low NVH
Cons:
  1. High fare INR 600/- above ACC fares. I do not see it logical to have such high fares! Being Compared to 53 seater and 40 seater?
  2. No Entertainment system
  3. At few stretches found hard bumps. I donot know where as I have driven multiple times of this highway but do not recollect any spot that can cause it.
Will I take this bus again? On a weekday, I get similar bus at much cheaper fare be it Orange or MST or VKaveri.
Let us wait and see if high fares will dampen the service or it can still flourish under that brand name !

deepam

Super User
Interior pic:
Double berth front portion, no TV but stand & 1 AC Vent
IMG_20190420_205548.jpg

Rear portion of double Lower berth 2 AC vents and reading LED White lamps with individual charging points no switches. So people with mobile USB C slot (fast changing mobiles) be careful as you may screw up your mobile
IMG_20190420_205531.jpg

Top portion of Lower double berth - No partition
IMG_20190420_211505.jpg

Space for keeping footwear bottom of double berth only
IMG_20190421_070959.jpg

Emergency exit, berth matts are placed on ground.
No booking allowed:
IMG_20190420_205442.jpg

View of lighting in Aisle portion
00003IMG_00003_BURST20190420204430.jpg

Look at the prominent Volvo logo which is missing in private Celeste buses

Last edited:

Subbunv

Interior pic:
Double berth front portion, no TV but stand & 1 AC Vent
View attachment 764529

Rear portion of double Lower berth 2 AC vents and reading LED White lamps with individual charging points no switches. So people with mobile USB C slot (fast changing mobiles) be careful as you may screw up your mobile
View attachment 764530

Top portion of Lower double berth - No partition
View attachment 764531

Space for keeping footwear bottom of double berth only
View attachment 764532

Emergency exit, berth matts are placed on ground.
No booking allowed:
View attachment 764533

View of lighting in Aisle portion
View attachment 764534

Look at the prominent Volvo logo which is missing in private Celeste buses
Even the new orange Celeste is having prominent Volvo logo.

Dowsarpandi

Bengaluru - Guntur - Bengaluru

When this trip became unavoidable, my first choice of transport was to drive. However, I realized it would get very stressful considering that I had to work quite a bit before and after the trip. Staying in southern suburbs,where a good number of AP destination buses are parked during their resting hours, I had more than enough options to choose from. It was strange to see few of them not offering pick up south of silkboard (None of the morningstar buses have pick up points south of E city; tried my best talking to their offices but in vain), while a majority left too early from this part of Bangalore. Adding to my confusion was the minimal familiarity I had on this route with respect to buses. After wasting enough time, I ended up choosing Sri Venkata Kanaka Durga Travels (SVKDT) AC sleeper on either directions (that is some long name to remember the sequence of alphabets). I am still a reluctant sleeper passenger - chose only because of the amount of fatigue I was already going through due to frequent travel these days (official as well - by flight/train). booked U7 (first row single upper berth on either directions). The other feasible options for me were Sri Krishna (too early), SriVenkataramana travels (too early), Orange (Mys - Vijayawada service - only last berth available and the previous bad experience on the chennai route), SVKDT and SriKrishna Volvos (Actual first choice).

Onward: Silkboard - Guntur 15/4/2019

SVKDT had five services with 3 offering pick up between Bommasandra and Silkboard. Two of them suited my time requirements and none of them had berths of my choice. So ended up booking in a service originating from the city with boarding point at Silkboard. After another busy day, managed to leave home well on time, walked to Hosur road - not before filling my appetite from the new DVG benne Dosa outlet. As though I booked a ride in app based cab services, an empty BMTC Vayu Vajra turned up with me being the lone passenger. It gave me some high when the driver drove the bus like a man possessed. So in 20 odd mins we were in silkboard jam and five later, I alighted the bus on the HSR side, making the bus empty again. Not a bad journey for Rs 69. Huge number of passengers heading to AP/TS were awaiting their buses - probably for election. The tracking link wasnt very reliable, but the SMS containing the bus number and crew was sent well ahead of time. AR01 1234, a 2016 make sleeper arrived pretty much on time (2215 hours) and left after picking handful of passengers including me. As I climbed the berth, the worst nightmare of any sleeper passenger turned true. The berth was hardly 5 feet, with narrow foot end due to the passage door. Individual LCD Screen meant now space of bag to be kept. Working charging point and good AC did lift up the spirits. As the bus crawled through the ORR picking more passengers at every boarding point, a telugu movie was played in the entertainment system, while I tuned into hotstar for IPL. It was well beyond 2330 hours when the bus exited city. The passengers as well as the crew were generally loud, causing enough havoc but settled down as the night progressed. Soon after Hosakote, the crew announced toilet break. It was a place with some shanty eatery and a bakery. Gents went around relieving themselves in the darkness of the highway while ladies had to use the lone washroom available there. Movie was switched off the driving was pretty fast. As the bus reached the ghat section/under construction stretch between Mulbhagal and Chittoor, the driving turned very sedate. I had torrid time positioning myself in the berth. In the process, sprained my neck. I heard the crew calling out passengers at Tirupathi and Srikalahasti, but was too tired to remember any further details. Tiredness got the better off me and slept till about 7am. As I pulled the curtain on the passage side, the sunrise hit my face directly from the right side reminding I was in east coast then. As the daylight broke, passengers kept alighting at various points and the crew kept fishing for passengers at every possible junctions. Te lower berths were filled up multiple short distance passengers, some bargaining for long after boarding the bus. Not a very pleasant feeling for long distance passengers. The journey never seem to end and I kept taking quick naps. Finally after close to 12 hours of being inside the cramped berth, got down at Guntur at 0945 hours.

Return: Guntur - Bangalore (near Vimalayala hospital): 16/4/2019

After a busy evening, I just managed to reach Padmaja Petrol pump, which was my boarding point. Another 2016 make AR010009 was to transport me back to bangalore. Neck was pretty sore and the thought of cramped sleeper demoralized me to a great extent. The bus arrived pretty much on time and left with almost full capacity by 2130 hours. Blankets were placed in a plastic cover and no water bottles were provided (not provided in onward journey as well). A telugu movie was being played in the entertainment system - I chose to switch off the system and went into sleep in no time. AT 2330, the crew called for a toilet break - at a restaurant that was similar to the ones where TNSTC/SETC buses stop. KSRTC ACC, Orange and Morning star buses were already there. After a 20 min break, the bus started. Unlike the driver who honked minimally during the onward journey, this driver kept honking all the time. Not sure why one would require so much honking on a four laned highway. Drifted into sleep in some awkward posture accommodating myself within the berth. Woke up when the crew called up for a toilet break - around 0345 hours. Getting down, the surroundings appeared familiar (fullmoon night). Confirmed the position on gmaps - Tirupathi outer (chandragiri). This break was on a roadside tea shop. Some facility for ladies and open air to gents. What followed the break was some sane driving through the under construction section averaging low speeds, but comfort. It was some spirited driving that made sure we entered KR puram before 0800 hours. Crawled through the ORR dropping people on request, took BETL to E city and I was dropped after City by 0930 hours. Not bad considering close to two hours of peak rush hour within the city.

This is not my regular travel route. I dont think I will have another opportunity to travel this route in near future. Even if I have to I may possibly not choose this operator's sleeper - for it is too short for me. Nevertheless, a satisfactory trip considering I could not get anything better in terms of schedules, choice of berth, boarding points etc

Thanks to all who pitched in with suggestions for the choice of buses. Those suggestions were off some help.

t