Volvo B9R

uturn

Super User
Folks,
A quick question: Need to book a couple of seats for my uncle and aunt from Mumbai to Mangalore and KSRTC MAV has seats which are just after the emergency exit ( The layout doesn't show any seats for a row on the right side which I believe is the emergency exit)
Any issues with booking these seats just after the emergency exit? I am inclined to book it due to the additional leg room.

Kindly advise.
Generally it doesn’t make a difference in Volvo/Scania /Merc even though the seating is backwards.
Request driver or conductor to upgrade if someone is getting down in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binaiks

Folks,
A quick question: Need to book a couple of seats for my uncle and aunt from Mumbai to Mangalore and KSRTC MAV has seats which are just after the emergency exit ( The layout doesn't show any seats for a row on the right side which I believe is the emergency exit)
Any issues with booking these seats just after the emergency exit? I am inclined to book it due to the additional leg room.

Kindly advise.
I wouldn't advise the emergency exit row. Although you see humongous leg room there, there is nothing to to rest your leg on. This could be a problem, especially when the bus brakes hard. And if the people are short (less than 5'5"), the EE row is no-no.

I'm a frequent Traveller on Bangalore Kerala sector. Usual fares used to be around 1000 bucks for weekdays and approx 2k for weekends for private operators. Seems like operators have reached some sort of an understanding since almost all MAV buses are now similarly priced @ 1,350 rs for weekdays and 1800 rs for weekends. Weekdays pricing is too high , not sure how many consumers will opt for then when KSRTC charges under 1k . Looks like it's better to drive down than paying such exhobirant fares.
KSRTC will also increase to match private operator fares. And, not everybody has the option of driving - there are people who travel at short notice, or a quick trip, etc. Its a good thing that they are sticking to a fixed fare. Discounts are only killing the industry.

Ruben

Did a trip from nagercoil to chennai on 08-May-2019 in Infant Jesus Travels - Still they are ripping the beast and maintaining the timings 9 pm nagercoil to 7 am chennai (wasted nearly 1 hr for diesel filling/Food/Parcel/etc) and loo break for 10 mins....The same drivers on the wheel on that day....
, Overtook several Multi axles also en route....

deepam

Super User
Folks,

Kindly advise.
+++++++++++++
F1,
In seat layout you are seeing gap before Seat # 23 and 24. This gap in reality was for first batch of Volvo B9R which had registration # 9149, 9150, 9194, 9195, 9196 and 9197 allotted to Mangalore Depot 2.
In later on B9R buses had 49 seats with Emergency door introduced at back [Mangalore 2 Depot latest B9R is having registration number KA57F1032. New ones are only B11R starting from KA57F2498 and now have also got in KA57F3800 plus number.
99% on Mumbai and Mangalore route the buses plying are Volvo B11R with Emergency seat prior to the last row. that is after Seat # 39 and 40 and before Seat # 43 and 44.

As U-turn and Binaiks already shared it is not easy to sit near the Emergency door. I used to book that seat and for me that was pretty comfortable. At all times I was seated, I used to wear the seat belts. I am not sure they do exist now in those buses.

Please do not book at Seat # 1,2, 5,6, 7 & 8 [Some of these will be blocked] and of course the last set of seats 43-47.

Srihari

Being 5'10 i find seat 1 and 2 to be most comfortable in scania. My most preferred seat in KSRTC scania is 1 and 2. never opt for seat 1 and 2 in private buses as they block front view with curtain.

f1fan

Generally it doesn’t make a difference in Volvo/Scania /Merc even though the seating is backwards.
Request driver or conductor to upgrade if someone is getting down in between.
I wouldn't advise the emergency exit row. Although you see humongous leg room there, there is nothing to to rest your leg on. This could be a problem, especially when the bus brakes hard. And if the people are short (less than 5'5"), the EE row is no-no.
+++++++++++++
F1,
In seat layout you are seeing gap before Seat # 23 and 24. This gap in reality was for first batch of Volvo B9R which had registration # 9149, 9150, 9194, 9195, 9196 and 9197 allotted to Mangalore Depot 2.
In later on B9R buses had 49 seats with Emergency door introduced at back [Mangalore 2 Depot latest B9R is having registration number KA57F1032. New ones are only B11R starting from KA57F2498 and now have also got in KA57F3800 plus number.
99% on Mumbai and Mangalore route the buses plying are Volvo B11R with Emergency seat prior to the last row. that is after Seat # 39 and 40 and before Seat # 43 and 44.

As U-turn and Binaiks already shared it is not easy to sit near the Emergency door. I used to book that seat and for me that was pretty comfortable. At all times I was seated, I used to wear the seat belts. I am not sure they do exist now in those buses.

Please do not book at Seat # 1,2, 5,6, 7 & 8 [Some of these will be blocked] and of course the last set of seats 43-47.
Thanks @uturn @binaiks @deepam for your updates. Didnt take the risk (they are in the early 50's) and booked another set of seats. Will check the configuration when I go to drop them next week.

Also @deepam, you are right. The gap in the KRSTC booking website is being seen before Seat #23 and 24

Last edited:

dozerbull

Being 5'10 i find seat 1 and 2 to be most comfortable in scania. My most preferred seat in KSRTC scania is 1 and 2. never opt for seat 1 and 2 in private buses as they block front view with curtain.
Really bro? My trip in ksrtc scania is total nightmare the 1st seat I booked has very poor leg spacing. If you pull the thigh calf your foot will hit the front partition. But in Asian Scania the front seat is somewhat better (underline the word 'Somewhat'). the best ride I had was in Hebron Scania middle seat. I'm 5'6'.

SOUTH FAN

Guys.. What will be the best travels to travel from Shirdi to Pune? I have flight at 12AM. so planning to leave after lunch from shirdi. Pls advise!

binaiks

Guys.. What will be the best travels to travel from Shirdi to Pune? I have flight at 12AM. so planning to leave after lunch from shirdi. Pls advise!
You don't have too many options in that route. Purple has AC Sleeper, Neeta has (had?) Volvo Multi-axle buses. Alternatively you can also get into Kadamba's Volvo B7R going to Goa (3pm from Shirdi). But, please note that the traffic as you near Pune is completely unpredictable, and plan in such a way that the scheduled arrival of your bus in Pune is no later than 8pm. Leave Shirdi by 3pm latest. There are no AC options from MSRTC - if you are fine, then my pick on the route would be an MSRTC Semi-Luxury bus.

deepam

Super User
+++++++++++
The best option will be taking MSRTC buses.
  1. Dhule - Shivaji Nagar [Pune] Shivashahi AC bus is scheduled to depart at 3:50 PM.
  2. Shirdi - Shivaji Nagar [Pune] Semi-luxury at 2:15 PM.
Online reservation can be done at: :: MSRTC :: Online Reservation System
You can look at the services at: Welcome to MSRTC :: Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation

I advise you to take the buses which go via Ahmednagar as you can get down at Chandan Nagar, Pune and from there the Pune Airport is close by.

Other options:
VRL Non AC Seater / Sleeper bus is there at 4 PM but the bus does not enter thru' Chandan Nagar and instead you have to get down at Wagheswar Parking lot and from there Airport is 12 km. I am not aware you get OLA or UBER from this place.
Fare shown is Rs 200/- but when you go to pickup seat it is showing the Bangalore fare...

If you can start early then you can take the KSRTC ACC Scania bus. You cannot book ticket online but board if the bus has pick-up in Pune this bus is scheduled to leave Shirdi at 1 PM and by 6-7 PM you can reach Pune. Fare is INR 400-500.

KSRTC normal Express [Shirdi to Belgaum] departs at 3:30 PM and this bus can reach Pune around 9 PM.
You can book online ticket for this bus.

As Binaiks shared the Ranjangaon - Pune traffic is on higher side.
About decades back Ranjangaon, had only one factory operational - Apollo Tyres. Today there are many factories including JEEP [FCA]. So the traffic is on higher side.
The fastest I had traveled between Pune and Ahmednagar was 1hour 45 minutes and the slowest was 5 hours.

++++++++++++++
Or Alternatively board any bus to Ahmednagar - Tarakpur bus stand.
From Tarakpur to Shivaji Nagar you will get either Shivneri or Shivashahi buses to Pune at good frequency of 15-20 mimutes.

Last edited: