Volvo B9R

did few bus trips during last week due to family assignments...just a summary.

first short trip was from KIAB airport to city. Landed at around 9 am at airport and went to catch a bus to city. Flybus KA-57 3738 was heading back to depot after completing the schedule. Staff guided few of us to this bus. A ticket for Rs 200 was issued for Mekhri circle. I sat just behind driver and drive was super slow with occasionally speedometer reaching 70kmph. But just before hebbal the co driver had his breakfast and came over to the front and washed his hand near the first step at the door corner. He would not stop doing it just once but used a fair amount of water to clean his hands. Later he came and sat just beside my row and I casually asked him whether this would spoil the floor or mat. He smiled and said the bus is designed in such a way that all water drains through the door only and this is not a problem.

Bangalore - Davanagere
Took Bangalore to Davanagere 5 am departure Multi axle. Got in at Govardhan stop around 5.12 am. Bus was almost full and I just sat in the last row so that I can stretch myself. We had a pick up at Jalahalli and from there on it was non stop ride till hiriyur. Stopped for a break at Hotel Parijatha. National travels Volvo was there as well. Started after 20 mins, entered chitradurga and almost half the bus alighted there. Moved on and reached Davanagere at 09.50 AM. Over all very decent journey and speed never crossed 70kmph.

Shimoga-Bangalore

Reached shimoga bus stand from a nearby place around 11.45 pm. Many choices and almost all of them calling out passengers. There was option to try any of the five types of services. Decided to take club class and choice was between Soraba- BLR and Humcha - BLR. Just decided to take Humcha service as I felt the crew looked more positive and were having friendly chats with passengers. Meantime Soraba club class left and we started around 11.55 pm. Driver meant business right from bus stand itself and was super fast during cuts and corners. Long time I had not experienced that type of driving from ksrtc. Second driver distributed blankets to pax who joined at shimoga and switched off lights. That's it. One nice long sleep and just woke up when bus was at halt. Driver change happened and first driver came in and went to last row to sleep. Second driver started while all pax were sleeping. Time was 04.10 am and we had crossed Nelamangala. I got up and moved to cabin and told him I wanted to get down at Jalahalli. He said he would not take fly over and he will go down and drop at the cross. I just sat there and had a chat with him. This service has a return departure to Shimoga at 0730 and operates via chitradurga and channagiri. Got dropped at Jalahalli cross at 04.28 am.

Chennai - Bangalore RKK
After finishing the work thought of taking bus directly from the highway as time was around 4 pm. I took a MTC bus and reached sriperumbudur toll around 4.30 pm. In around 15 min RKK green livery B9R rolled in. Driver waved even before he crossed the gate. Got in just after the gate and he said fare was 500. I got in and he asked be to sit in A1 just behind him. Attender was busy doing something in middle of the bus. Three more joined in Sriperumbudur and this time attender handled the talk and seat allotment. Fare was fixed for all at 500. Very yound driver and speedy journey but very poor at handling slow moving trucks. Most of the time got stuck behind trucks because he would try to change lines after getting fairly nearer to the vehicle in front. But on empty stretches he was going full speed and it showed around 90-94 kmph and occasionally reaching 98kmph. Bus was green livery with registration number 1909. We stopped at Vellore around 7.10 pm. Some pax left and four joined in. Meantime second driver who was sleeping till then came over and sat in cabin. We stopped at Sai Akshayam and break was around 25 mins. Bharathi sleeper and Asian Express sleeper were already there. After the break the first driver again continued to drive. We and Asian sleeper started together. Second driver went back to sleep. It was small race between us and Asian but we both were beaten by Parveen B11R. He just zoomed past us. Asian went ahead of us courtesy of our driver's poor handling of slow moving trucks. The same sequence continued till Krishnagiri where we stopped to drop passengers. Later we had uneventful run and overtook Asian near Hosur. Dropped some pax at Hosur and reached Madiwala around 10.20 pm.

Thanks for reading...
Off topic just for awareness: Lot of mobile snatching happening in around and majestic area. One of my known person affected while waiting for bus at anandrao circle. Just be careful and watch out for bikes approaching near to you...

Last edited:

HRSH

Almost all the old players are on their way out. Kallada has shrunk. KPN has cut down on multi-axles. VRL hasn't purchased new buses in a few years. SRS hasn't taken new buses since quite some time now. SRM is half dead. And so on!
Is Kallada G4 still operational?
Out of curiosity, how is Parveen faring ?
What about the other biggies like Rathimeena, TAT, Universal and so on?

uturn

Super User
It Seems Kallada has shrinked its Services. Just casually browsing Kallada website found most of the Volvo Multiaxles were gone. Even it seems they are not using all the Scanias regularly. In redbus the Chennai-Kerala services has poor ratings. Did they become the 'SRM' of Kerala?
The problem with major operators is as they are getting tougher competition by Railways & Airways lot of small Aircrafts towards south spl Bangalore eg.three flights from Belgaum.
Now trains also getting upgraded so it’s getting tougher.
Naturally Surface transport gets affected & again it’s a very competitive & volatile business.
Same time no of commuters also increased substantially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binaiks

The problem with major operators is as they are getting tougher competition by Railways & Airways lot of small Aircrafts towards south spl Bangalore eg.three flights from Belgaum.
Now trains also getting upgraded so it’s getting tougher.
Naturally Surface transport gets affected & again it’s a very competitive & volatile business.
Same time no of commuters also increased substantially.
I really don't think the airlines or the railways are posing a major competition to the roadways. Airfares have comparatively increased compared to what it used to be a year or so ago. Railways - overall availability has improved only on some route - not everywhere. Take for example the Bangalore-Kerala route - nothing has changed in terms of train ticket availability, but still a major player in the route, Kallada, has downsized. Competition from airlines has decreased here - number of flights have reduced off late.

The number of commuters have actually decreased, not increased. More people have begun driving down - every weekends, you can see plenty of Zoomcars and Revvs on the highway.

The competition to major operators have come from newer smaller operators. All the major operators run their show through agents - who ensure stable bookings. These operators have their own systems and procedures, like checking and checkpoints - adding to their running time. A lot of these buses also refuel on the way - adding to their running time, again.

On the other hand, newer operators with newer buses, friendlier crew, more comfortable and feature packed buses came in. Older operators still believe in frequency over facilities - they have been able to retain their "family friendly" tag and hold on to that crowd though.

This is my first bus journey after almost 5-6 years since i moved to US.
I made 2 trips (1 from tirupati - bangalore ksrtc) and one from bangalore to hyderabad.
This is my review on first trip.

Travel : Tirupati to Bangalore
Operator : KSRTC
Booking class : Airavat Club class
Dept Date : 12 Feb 2020
Scheduled Dep Time : 16:40
Actual : 16:35
Scheduled Arrival Time : 21:35
Actual : 22:00 (Tin Factory)

I had to visit my cousins and since i had a trip to tirupati i decided to go from tirupati to Bangalore in a Bus and then return back to Hyderabad.
I Searched for tickets from tirupati to bangalore in redbus (departing around 3-5 pm).
I didnot find any private operator and when i searched for APSRTC unfortunately i didnt see any volvo multi axle service during my preferred time. I decided to try KSRTC and booked 16:40 Dep bus which said "Club Class"(after lot of confusion whether to book 16:15 VS 16:40 Bus)
I arrived at bus stand by 16:10 and i actually wanted to see how the 16:15 and 16:40 bus looks(old or new).
At the bus stand there was a Diamond class(scania) bus with board to Bangalore (i felt it is 16:15 bus and also thought why did KSRTC replace 16:15 club class with diamond class). After 10 minutes i still see this bus is not departing and my friend(who booked this ticket) forwarded me the bus details which said F1561( full registration details are not sent in SMS). To my surprise its the same scania which is already on the platform.
I showed my ticket to conductor and boarded the bus (i was booked on seat no.16) and when i boarded it someone is sitting in my seat already , i showed him my ticket and said he was occupying my seat but he replied me saying that they clubbed 16:15 and 16:40 bus and conductor asked him to sit in seat no .16.
I went to the conductor and asked him where should i sit and he told me to sit in Seat no.10
Bus started by 16:35 - 5 min ahead of schedule of my bus and by the way bus moved it felt the bus was maintained very bad . There are lot of rattling sounds and also suspension seemed very bad.
Since im tired due to my trip in tirupati i dozed off and woke up only when the bus was stopped for dinner (im not sure about the exact place but it should be somewhere near chittor)
we stopped at a place called nandini cafe. After 10 minutes an Orange platinum sleeper (bangalore to vizag volvo) also stopped there for dinner. it looked stunning in red color.
We started after 20 minutes break and i was dropped at tin factory at 10 PM.

deepam

Super User
It is not "built" by Veera, per se. Volvo delivered a modified shell to Veera, on which Veera built the interiors alone. So the entire exteriors were built by Volvo only. This was a limited edition shell, designed specifically for use as sleeper - the roof is higher and the entire bus is longer than the usual B11R (14.95 vs 14.5).

This doesn't belong to the league of MG StarZ or Prakash Celeste - both these buses are actually built from scratch by the body builders, while the Veera one is purely a conversion.
+++++++++++++++
Interesting to know that shell of Veera was made by Volvo specific for sleeper. I hope they do more.
Top portion of Starz may be more than 14.5 m

deepam

Super User
@bus.traveller
Shimoga-Bangalore

Reached shimoga bus stand from a nearby place around 11.45 pm. Many choices and almost all of them calling out passengers. There was option to try any of the five types of services. Decided to take club class and choice was between Soraba- BLR and Humcha - BLR. Just decided to take Humcha service as I felt the crew looked more positive and were having friendly chats with passengers. Meantime Soraba club class left and we started around 11.55 pm. Driver meant business right from bus stand itself and was super fast during cuts and corners. Long time I had not experienced that type of driving from ksrtc. Second driver distributed blankets to pax who joined at shimoga and switched off lights. That's it. One nice long sleep and just woke up when bus was at halt. Driver change happened and first driver came in and went to last row to sleep. Second driver started while all pax were sleeping. Time was 04.10 am and we had crossed Nelamangala. I got up and moved to cabin and told him I wanted to get down at Jalahalli. He said he would not take fly over and he will go down and drop at the cross. I just sat there and had a chat with him. This service has a return departure to Shimoga at 0730 and operates via chitradurga and channagiri. Got dropped at Jalahalli cross at 04.28 am.

+++++++++++++++++++
This Humcha - Bangalore bus was doing Thirthahall- Bangalore. They extended to Humcha.
This bus returns to Shimoga by departing Bangalore at 7:30 AM.
Soraba-Bangalore bus departs back to Shimoga from Bangalore at 5:30 AM.

Last edited: