Volvo B9R

sudhirpsg

Earn to live don't live to earn.
Time for some throwback:
Chennai-Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore-Chennai in Februray
Chennai-Bangalore:

Operator: PMD Travels
Scheduled/Actual departure : 02:45 AM/02:50 AM(Thuraipakkam)
Scheduled/Actual arrival: 09:00 AM/09:15 AM(Madiwala)
Bus type: Volvo B9r

In Chennai Bangalore route recently had starter a liking towards early morning departures mainly because
travel time is less, can bath take a short nap and start the days work. PMD travels has been in my radar for sometime mainly because of boarding points close to my place and i loved the travel in these guys when they were with Kallada.
So on a travel date had a bath and a cup of tea and proceeded towards my boarding point. Got message about my journey and also a call reminding me. This is a must particularly for early morning departures.
bus came almost around time got into my seat. KA 01 AB 7438 was on duty. Refurbishment work was good. Since it was friday morning occupancy was less and around 25+ seats were filled and i had two seats at my disposal.
Reached CMBT boarding point early by 15 mins and departed from there at 3:45 am 5 mins ahead of time. AC effect was good. Blankets and water bottle was provided. Roads were deserted and we did 100 kmph constantly.
Dozed off as planned and finally woke up when bus was standing time was 8.55 am and we were standing at the end of E-City flyover in traffic.RKK 4.15 am departure was standing along with us. Dropped in madiwala at 9.15 Am.
Verdict:Hassle free and sleep friendly early morning service.
Engine noise was a bit high because of age of the bus but that was acceptable.
20200228_091955.jpg

Reached Madiwala had breakfast at Madiwala Seashell and took a cab to ARC for the leg of Journey
Bangalore-Mumbai

Operator: VRL Travels
Bus type: Volvo B11r
Scheduled/Actual departure: 12.30 PM/12.40 PM (ARC)
Scheduled/Actual Arrival : 05:55 AM/07:20 AM (Andheri)
On my way in cab got message that the famous 5271 was on duty and crews were Alex and Noor. The well known guys in VRL.
Last travel to Mumbai in SRS was distatrous to be honest he took almost 21.5 hrs and picked up almost everyone.
Vehicle was brought into bay at 12.15 loading started and as usual passenger was late. started finally at 12.40 traffic was negligible since it was afternoon and we covered all boarding points on time.
Pulled in for lunch break at usual VRL hotel at at 2.45 near Vasanthanarasapura. Food was decent and moderately priced. Started back at 3.15 PM and it was a non stop run except for varur refuelling entry after that but we were delayed by an hour by now. Looks like one passenger was missed in hubli lost 10 mins waiting for him,. Reached Belgaum at 11 PM late by more than an hour. people started fighting with crew for dinner and inally dinner stop at 11.15 PM in the usual place. . Almost all was hungry by then. Started back at 11.50 PM and driver change happened. He started speeding down the roads. If i remember correctly reached Kholapur around 1 to 1.15 am. Pune around 4 am and unloaded some luggage in Sion and got dropped at Andheri by 07.20Am.
Delay is acceptable considering the distance and bus maintenance was impeccable. Only drawback is the dinner break must be early and not at midnights. And one more thing they can try to put movies with subtitle if possible for people like me.Though it is not a complaint but a suggestion.
And Road works from Chitradurga to Hubli also eats up a lot of time
Bus Quality : 5/5
Driving: 5/5
Staff behaviour :4/5
Punctuality : 4/5

A nice ride minus the issue with dinner break.
20200228_144723.jpg

Mumbai-Bangalore
Operator : Orange Travels
Bus type : Starz Volvo B11r sleeper
Scheduled/Actual departure : 3.35 PM/3.40 PM (Andheri) 4 PM Sion
Scheduled/Actual Arrival : 10.45 AM/9.15 AM (Marthahalli) :eek:
Work was over by afternnon did some fanning around Mumbai and started back.
Never have i ever got an opportunity or liked travelling in Sleeper buses in Mumbai - Bangalore sector. But continous travel and not having tried out Orange in this sector made me opt for it.
Bus reached boarding point on time. Blankets were kept in sealed bags and snacks were given. For some reason charging points were working but entertainment systems were not turned on. They were individual cotrol system of touring talkies now getting more prevalent.
departed from sion Orange office at 4 PM. Vehicle was locked at 95 KMPH and same speed was constantly maintained. One problem i have with MG coaches is i feel body roll to be bit on the higher side. The power of volvo was perfectly utilised in ghats since i was in last before row can perfectly hear the retarder kicking in and down shifts. Reached Hinjenwadi at 7 PM where there was a 10 min bio break and boarding in Orange office loaded some luggage and started from Katraj office at 8 PM. Reached top speed of 116 KMPH in Ghat slopes. Had Dinner before Satara in Hotel Daulat between 9.15 to 10 PM. Crossed belgaum around 1.10 to 1.15 AM and there was a 10 min break at HirBagewadi toll plaza between 1.30 to 1.40 AM. Crossed Hubli at 2.40 AM. Another short 10 min break at kulumepalaya toll at 7.50 AM anf finally got dropped at Marthalli last drop point at 9.15 am. whole 1.5 hrs ahead of this schedule. Ahead of Schedule after long time in this route after kesineni.
Bus Quality : 4.5/5 (Bit of body roll)
Staff behaviour :5/5
Punctuality : 5/5
A beautiful ride and no complaints. But humans always find something to complain on right :p just wish entertainment system was working.
20200229_211602.jpg
20200229_144752.jpg

Ok if you have read till now really appreciate your pateince :p
Just one more
Bangalore-Chennai
Operator : RKK Travels
Scheduled/actual departure : 03:15 PM/03:10 PM (Marthahalli)4.15 PM Madiwala
Scheduled/Actual arrival : 10:45 PM/10.45 PM (Tidel Park)
Expected Mumbai-Bangalore slot to be delayed as usual and booked the evening service. Since i was early reached friends place had a bath, food and started back. Bus on service was KA 01 AC 9460. Since it was first boarding point bus came early and i got in. And body started to show it has fatiguedso i decided to sleep. Woke up near Krishnagiri :p Yes I have slept through all boarding points in bangalore. First movie was played and second movie was stopped for dinner and never resumed. Stopeed in Anandhas before vellore for dinner and second driver took wheels.Looks like bus has a return trip since it was a weekend. So he was showing his urgency in honking. He was honking in full glory. And added to that Volvo warning system was alsobuzzing right from the starts. And i have this anxiety when this glow added to the honking means i did not sleep. My first odd experience with RKK regards to driving style.But the waycrews communicated with pax was excellent and no complaints. Since we are running late for return trip boarding point was fixed. Say for Porur its only DLF and Ramachandra. Which is correct but some pax were not ok with it like they demanded bus to be stopped at every signal. He answered all of them respectfully and convinced. Loved the way he handled them. Finally got dropped in Tidel park at 10.45 PM
Bus Quality : 3.75/5 (buzzing was main turn off)
Driving: 3.5/5

And as bonus adding some pics taken in Mumbai.
20200229_114351.jpg
20200229_114233.jpg
20200229_112758.jpg
20200229_112643.jpg

Srihari

Time for some throwback:
Chennai-Bangalore:

In Chennai Bangalore route recently had starter a liking towards early morning departures mainly because
travel time is less, can bath take a short nap and start the days work. PMD travels has been in my radar for sometime mainly because of boarding points close to my place and i loved the travel in these guys when they were with Kallada.
So on a travel date had a bath and a cup of tea and proceeded towards my boarding point. Got message about my journey and also a call reminding me. This is a must particularly for early morning departures.
bus came almost around time got into my seat. KA 01 AB 7438 was on duty. Refurbishment work was good. Since it was friday morning occupancy was less and around 25+ seats were filled and i had two seats at my disposal.
Reached CMBT boarding point early by 15 mins and departed from there at 3:45 am 5 mins ahead of time. AC effect was good. Blankets and water bottle was provided. Roads were deserted and we did 100 kmph constantly.
Dozed off as planned and finally woke up when bus was standing time was 8.55 am and we were standing at the end of E-City flyover in traffic.RKK 4.15 am departure was standing along with us. Dropped in madiwala at 9.15 Am.
View attachment 783832

Reached Madiwala had breakfast at Madiwala Seashell and took a cab to ARC for the leg of Journey
Bangalore-Mumbai

On my way in cab got message that the famous 5271 was on duty and crews were Alex and Noor. The well known guys in VRL.
Last travel to Mumbai in SRS was distatrous to be honest he took almost 21.5 hrs and picked up almost everyone.
Vehicle was brought into bay at 12.15 loading started and as usual passenger was late. started finally at 12.40 traffic was negligible since it was afternoon and we covered all boarding points on time.
Pulled in for lunch break at usual VRL hotel at at 2.45 near Vasanthanarasapura. Food was decent and moderately priced. Started back at 3.15 PM and it was a non stop run except for varur refuelling entry after that but we were delayed by an hour by now. Looks like one passenger was missed in hubli lost 10 mins waiting for him,. Reached Belgaum at 11 PM late by more than an hour. people started fighting with crew for dinner and inally dinner stop at 11.15 PM in the usual place. . Almost all was hungry by then. Started back at 11.50 PM and driver change happened. He started speeding down the roads. If i remember correctly reached Kholapur around 1 to 1.15 am. Pune around 4 am and unloaded some luggage in Sion and got dropped at Andheri by 07.20Am.
Delay is acceptable considering the distance and bus maintenance was impeccable. Only drawback is the dinner break must be early and not at midnights. And one more thing they can try to put movies with subtitle if possible for people like me.Though it is not a complaint but a suggestion.

View attachment 783835

Mumbai-Bangalore
Never have i ever got an opportunity or liked travelling in Sleeper buses in Mumbai - Bangalore sector. But continous travel and not having tried out Orange in this sector made me opt for it.
Bus reached boarding point on time. Blankets were kept in sealed bags and snacks were given. For some reason charging points were working but entertainment systems were not turned on. They were individual cotrol system of touring talkies now getting more prevalent.
departed from sion Orange office at 4 PM. Vehicle was locked at 95 KMPH and same speed was constantly maintained. One problem i have with MG coaches is i feel body roll to be bit on the higher side. The power of volvo was perfectly utilised in ghats since i was in last before row can perfectly hear the retarder kicking in and down shifts. Reached Hinjenwadi at 7 PM where there was a 10 min bio break and boarding in Orange office loaded some luggage and started from Katraj office at 8 PM. Reached top speed of 116 KMPH in Ghat slopes. Had Dinner before Satara in Hotel Daulat between 9.15 to 10 PM. Crossed belgaum around 1.10 to 1.15 AM and there was a 10 min break at HirBagewadi toll plaza between 1.30 to 1.40 AM. Crossed Hubli at 2.40 AM. Another short 10 min break at kulumepalaya toll at 7.50 AM anf finally got dropped at Marthalli last drop point at 9.15 am. whole 1.5 hrs ahead of this schedule. Ahead of Schedule after long time in this route after kesineni.
A beautiful ride and no complaints. But humans always find something to complain on right :p just wish entertainment system was working.
View attachment 783837View attachment 783838

Just one more
Bangalore-Chennai
Expected Mumbai-Bangalore slot to be delayed as usual and booked the evening service. Since i was early reached friends place had a bath, food and started back. Bus on service was KA 01 AC 9460. Since it was first boarding point bus came early and i got in. And body started to show it has fatiguedso i decided to sleep. Woke up near Krishnagiri :p Yes I have slept through all boarding points in bangalore. First movie was played and second movie was stopped for dinner and never resumed. Stopeed in Anandhas before vellore for dinner and second driver took wheels.Looks like bus has a return trip since it was a weekend. So he was showing his urgency in honking. He was honking in full glory. And added to that Volvo warning system was alsobuzzing right from the starts. And i have this anxiety when this glow added to the honking means i did not sleep. My first odd experience with RKK regards to driving style.But the waycrews communicated with pax was excellent and no complaints. Since we are running late for return trip boarding point was fixed. Say for Porur its only DLF and Ramachandra. Which is correct but some pax were not ok with it like they demanded bus to be stopped at every signal. He answered all of them respectfully and convinced. Loved the way he handled them. Finally got dropped in Tidel park at 10.45 PM

View attachment 783842View attachment 783841View attachment 783840View attachment 783839
In November I travelled from Mumbai to Bangalore in SRS mumbai chennai scania as bus was supposed to provide connection to chennai bus, it reched ARC by 7:15 Am (15 min before time) left Sion circle around 1 pm.Will try short trip details later with photos.

Srihari

Sudhir 12.5 hours from Pune to Banglore with 60 mins breaks is simply superb with 95kmph speed lock.couldnt understand how orange pilots have managed
Used to see such 11 to 12 hrs during non lock period when srs used to do 120 130 effortlesly.Now 13 to 14 hrs has become common due to speedlock and also teh 6 lane work from haveri.

deepam

Super User
When Volvo were introduced 2002-03; few Volvos on road.
Vishal Travels would depart Mumbai around 3:30-4PM [Borivalli departure] and would reach Mangalore between 5:30-6 AM.

deepam

Super User
Time for some throwback:
Chennai-Bangalore:

View attachment 783832

Bangalore-Mumbai

View attachment 783835

Mumbai-Bangalore
View attachment 783837View attachment 783838

Just one more
Bangalore-Chennai

View attachment 783842View attachment 783841View attachment 783840View attachment 783839
++++++++++++++
Surprised to read Orange Travels reaching Destination time before scheduled time.
Looks like one of the drivers was ending his duty and scheduled to go on leave for 10 days!!
Traffic was lower on that day and they were able to maintain good speeds.

sudhirpsg

In November I travelled from Mumbai to Bangalore in SRS mumbai chennai scania as bus was supposed to provide connection to chennai bus, it reched ARC by 7:15 Am (15 min before time) left Sion circle around 1 pm.Will try short trip details later with photos.
when i travelled i took the last service 10.55 Service he dropped me at Andheri around 8 :(

sudhirpsg

Sudhir 12.5 hours from Pune to Banglore with 60 mins breaks is simply superb with 95kmph speed lock.couldnt understand how orange pilots have managed
yes Deepak. It reminded me of non lock days. Maybe eliminating enroute pickups since bus got full at pune might have helped me i guess along with less weekend traffic.

sudhirpsg

++++++++++++++
Surprised to read Orange Travels reaching Destination time before scheduled time.
Looks like one of the drivers was ending his duty and scheduled to go on leave for 10 days!!
Traffic was lower on that day and they were able to maintain good speeds.
Ha ha, Yes since it was Saturday departure traffic was less and crew was Ex VRL