Volvo B9R

Balaji_M

Welcoming you as a new operator in the Omni Bus Industry @M4machine
I can see your love for Scania is endless and you also mention it as high maintenance vehicle too but with my experience its not an easy task as you think if so then many operators could have come with many scanias and company also running their plant successfully. I gives you few points on the general operation in the omni bus industry plus also the scania operational issue to tackle for your smooth operation. Writing down here for your awareness if u havent heard it anywhere else. As u said its a vehicle which ran 5 lakh km and i assume it would be a multi axle bus 2 yr old vehicle min with 49 seats

Lets breakdown the cost for Scania vehicle operating for Chennai(Siruseri) - Bangalore(Majestic) - Chennai(Siruseri) route for one round trip
1) Diesel (275 lt x 70 rs) - 19250 (taken in as 750 km on an average of 2.7 kmpl - best for scania)(kmpl goes down will add up ur diesel expenses)
2) Toll gate (to and fro) - 3100 (3 axle vehicle)
3) Driver 1 (Salary+Bata) - 1200
4) Driver 2 (Salary+Bata) - 1200
5) Cleaner (Salary+Bata) - 950
6) KA Tax (49 seats) - 2055 (1,85,000 for 3 months) (3500 rs/seat/90 days +Tax)
7) TN Tax (49 seats) - 3300 (98990 for 1 month) (2000 rs/seat/30 days + 1% + 10 rs)
8) Insurance - 450 (165000 rs for a vehicle costs 75 lakhs IDV/365 days)
9) EMI (175000/30) - 5850 (assume a bus value 70,00,000 for 4 years repayment with 10% as interest)
10) Tyre Expenses - 1095 (Calculation given below )
11) Maintenance Expens - 2625 (750 km x 3.5 rs/km) a very low maintenance cost for a scania
12) Adblu expenses BS4 - 1000 (25 lt x 40 rs)
13) Laundry Expenses - 1075 (Calculation given below )
14) Snacks pack - 1470 (water bottle 4 rs, biscuit - 5 rs, snack - 5rs, tissue 1rs = 15r/pack, 15*98 = 1470)

Total Exp 1 round trip - 41,520 rs covering all regular expenses for 98 tickets which averages 425 per seat you need to get as revenue for you apart from the 15% commission by the agents plus bus will also dont get full all days so you need to plan based on it

(Laundry Expenses - Using one seat cover and blanket for a one round trip, 49 seat cover x 7 rs = 343 rs, 49 blanket x 15 rs = 735 rs) (343+735 = 1078)
(Tyre Expenses - A set of tyre costs rs 50000 in michelin, 4 set of tyres for a bus, front tyre runs for 1,10,000 which takes 145 days to change it for front 1 set tyre, rear tyre change in 150000 which takes 200 days to change the rear 2 set tyres, {So the costs can be taken as 50000 rs for 145 days + 150000 rs for 200 days} So one day tyre expense can be calculated as 50000/145 = 345 + 150000/200 = 750 which totally comes around 345+750 = 1095

Unplanned Expenses are here as follows based on my experiences - police station plus traffic monthly bata for both cities, RTO officers monthly bata, Checkpost bata, RTO office expenses all should be paid correctly. If not paid you will get paid as RTO Check report fines which costs some 10000 upto 50000 per month by various RTO officers, Bus Parking expenses, Bus stand entry charges, Office rent, Staff rent, mobile expenses plus few other expenses too.

In Simple terms, transport business there will be an income and expenses
1) If u have more income and less expenses its a profit
2) If u have less income but more expenses its a loss
3) If u get income and the expenses equally it will be like a cat on the wall situation

Now the challenge depends on you with your planning to improve your earning overcoming the expenses you incur based on daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly.

The expenses are doubled in the last 4 years but sadly the operators havent increased the fares much only weekends fares are increased.

Now coming to operating Scania is the tougher task now a days due to high spare parts, plus poor maintenance staffs from the scania, parts unavailability which tamper your daily operations. If TATA Leyland and to the most Volvo if breakdown occurs, the experienced driver itself will make it ready plus parts available locally which makes it easy to put the bus back on road in the shortest time but Scania will take a longer time as the scania technicians only should come and make it on road. Scania closed the plant by 2017 itself and the bus manufactured by 2016 2017 are still lying Unsold. If the company has been running good then there is no need for that company to close the production plus they would have sold their vehicles on time. Even they say they will come with BS6 vehicles in future but thats also not gonna happen because there is very less market for the multi axle vehicles in the market. Once running multiaxle is a viable option but not now in current expense situation. So i suggest you not to go for a scania.

Many big experienced players like Kallada/VRL/SRS didnt go for any new purchases due to the business is not going on a profit. The losses are getting managed thru their other source of income plus the medium players are managing with the parcels to cover up their losses. Few newcomers went out of the market very soon. Only few operators who keeping up steady in expenses are sustaining in the market. Golden rule in transport industry in current situation -
* Slow and steady wins the race always eg kpn rathimeena parveen amarnath tippu sultan and few more in tamil nadu are the long runners
* Speed thrills for passengers but kills the operator very soon eg Evacay Hebron IJT Ravi and few more (it was due to high expenses than income)

If you have anymore doubts, come up with your question. plus experts also can point me out if i'm wrong in any points.
@Ram Vijay Bro, you nailed it with all points required for any new comers to omni bus industry!!

+++++++++++
[Please post the pics in AL/Tata Forum, we will enjoy the pics of your Stage Carrier buses.
What is the average kmpl you're getting in your Stage Carrier buses? Are they BS III or BS IV buses?
Did you hear back on this ?

I'm in a way relieved that he stopped hogging the pages with umpteen queries - atleast we are back to some meaningful discussions, if not anything else.

binaiks

Does any one have any idea, Volvo 9400PX whis this model never came to existence??
Who said that? 9400PX has been available in India since over 7 years now. The B11R model is the 9400PX. Volvo has removed the suffixes since quite some time now, and they prefer calling it only the 9400 now.

HRSH

Below was posted by Ram Vijay.
* Slow and steady wins the race always eg kpn rathimeena parveen amarnath tippu sultan and few more in tamil nadu are the long runners
* Speed thrills for passengers but kills the operator very soon eg Evacay Hebron IJT Ravi and few more (it was due to high expenses than income)
Very very true! Words of a matured person does stand out from the rest!
I have now changed my notion completely from how it was around 9 years ago, when I first joined this group!

binaiks

Very very true! Words of a matured person does stand out from the rest!
I have now changed my notion completely from how it was around 9 years ago, when I first joined this group!
Thats so good hear. Slow and Steady wins the race as always.

deepam

Super User

Akbarabbu

Who said that? 9400PX has been available in India since over 7 years now. The B11R model is the 9400PX. Volvo has removed the suffixes since quite some time now, and they prefer calling it only the 9400 now.

Bro was asking, why was the Model not carried forward. For ex, the front Facia and all are different front from the B11R which is currently in Operation. Why was it not changed to the original model?. But that B11R in Bangladesh has this Front facia.

binaiks

Bro was asking, why was the Model not carried forward. For ex, the front Facia and all are different front from the B11R which is currently in Operation. Why was it not changed to the original model?. But that B11R in Bangladesh has this Front facia.
The front fascia that was showcased in the 9400PX is exactly what we had till they did a facelift. If you are referring to the White Headlamps, it was not approved by ARAI and hence not offered in India. Export models get those though. From the time they launched BS4 models, Volvo dropped all suffixes, and instead calls their buses as '9400 12m' '9400 13.8m' and '9400 14.5m' only.