Wanderer's Muse-The land of high passes, Ladakh!

Himadri sen

Day 7 : Retrun to the Blue lake : Tsomoriri
Our Itinerary for the day : Hanley - Loma - Nyoma - Mahe - Sumdo - Tso Kiagar - Tso Moriri / Tso Moriri - Tso Kiagar - Sumdo - Tso Kar - Debring - Ta Lang La – Leh ( stay leh)

We woke up to a bright sunny day in Hanley . The village monastery was visible a few meters away from our guest house:
IMG_0021.jpg

There were horses grazing the distance field:

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

We retraced our path upto Loma where again our permits were checked. Today morning we didn’t see any kiangs in that area , yesterday evening they were roaming in big herds. We did see few eagles sitting in the bush . The place looked ethereal last evening under the golden light but at 9 :00 AM the colors were faded. But still it retained the raw charm , I felt to experience this beauty one needs to move around this place at a slow pace. I told Sonam my feelings , he replied “ Sir, Loma se Nyoma or bhi sundar hai “ – Nyoma route is more beautiful .
I sat there impatiently hoping for better photo opportunities . There was another round of documents checking at Loma gate.

IMG_0046.jpg

As we moved towards Nyoma , the color of the Hills changed to bright red . The indus river was visible in its semi- frozen stage. Indeed, the Nyoma drive was very very scenic . One should never miss Loma- Nyoma drive during Ladakh trip.

IMG_0073.jpg

Frozen Indus river and wide open vista:
IMG_0113.jpg

Frozen Indus in all its glory:

IMG_0127.jpg

The amazing colors of Nyoma :
IMG_0115.jpg

We stopped by a roadside tea stall . I walked around for some photo oppurtunity :
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

The drive is so beautiful that you feel the urge to stop at every bend . We drove straight to the Mahe Bridge , our documents were checked here. Here we took a diverson for Sumdo> Korzok . The other road moves ahead to Chumathang.
The Hills here are rugged and vertical , Sonam informed that this is area of Mountain Goats . So , we kept looking for any sighting . But unlucky us , the sighting is also very rare

We moved ahead towards Korzok . Few kilometers before reaching Tsomoriri , we saw another lake - Kiagar Tso . It was quite far from the road . I walked to its shore , it was frozen and sun reflecting on its surface created a wonderful aura.
IMG_0219.jpg

View attachment 754420

We moved ahead towards Korzok. Many nomadic tribes have set their tents in the filed. Yaks were grazing and woman doing their chore in the sunny morning. A child walked towards us , it was 14th Nov- Children's day in India. We handed him over chocolates.
The path to Tsomoriri:
IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

Reaching Tsomoriri and viewing its blue water is a humbling experience. The sun was on our side and it created the deep blue color of the lake

IMG_0270.jpg

The lake is also part of the wet land conservation , there were many birds at the lake side.
IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

We drove along the banks of lake and entered the Korzok village . There was another army check point where we had to do manual entry . I really felt for the army personal across the border area standing guard to some lonely bridges and checkpost under inclement climate , there job is so tough.

We drove to a viewpoint , where due to sun's reflection , the water of the lake reflected in a deep blue hue . I have never seen such beauty before.
Sharing some photos here :
IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

I just got trigger happy

IMG_0337.jpg

Who wants to leave from such a place , certainly not me

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

Aww!! but actually it was time to go , the real world is so unromantic . We retraced our path to Mahe Bridge . Meanwhile Sonam shared an information which annoyed me very much . He informed me that the Tsokar which was also in our itinerary , the water mass has shrunk due to salt deposits ,not worth a visit during this season , also our return by Ta Lang la is not possible as the path is closed due to snowfall . Due to time shortage we would rather take Chumathang route for Leh. Initially , I was annoyed very much , he should have shared this piece of information when we set off in the morning. But his conduct through out the trip has been 10/10 , so I gave him the benefit of doubt . Also in such harsh climate , our driver is our best guide , he knows the route better than us . So after Mahe , we took the Chumathang road .
Chumathang is famous for the Hot sulphur springs , they were everywhere along the river bed.
The sun was setting at the background and hot spring oozing along the river.
IMG_0390.jpg

We had our late lunch at Chumathang . Leh was still 140 km away . It was already late afternoon , so we set off quickly . Sonam knows the road very well.
He drove in almost complete darkness , made me realize his expertise. We drove by the Shey palace and 3- idiots school .
We reached Sia- La guest house at 8:00PM. After such a long and tiring ride , another shock was awaiting us.
There are no room at Sia- La , Mr. Gulam Nabi informed us . The room which he so cordially told me will be kept available before we left for Nubra was no longer there. I had even informed him through emails and SMS , had face to face discussion 3-4 times for the room on 14th Nov which he now completely dishonoured. I was totally annoyed and confused with such treatment , standing there at his door at such an odd hour under such a climate. I saw a big group of foreign tourists , things became clear to me. After much argument, Sonam helped me in this, he gave me a room which we have to vacant before 7:30 AM . Anyways , we had plan to vacate the room by 8 :00 AM but for unknown reason he insisted on 7:30AM checkout. Infact when we checked in we were kept waiting for 20-30 mins when rooms were being prepared. After such wonderful trip and hospitality we received from Ladakhis such incident came as a shock to me. With such hurt feelings, we went to our room.
Though I was very tired , but because of this incident and pressure of waking early, didn't sleep well that night.
Day 8 : From Heaven to earth
It was the day for our return , our Go Air flight was scheduled on time. We bade goodbye to sonam , it was a wonderful trip , all because of him . With a heavy heart we entered departure. After multiple levels of security check , there is a round of baggage identification which is unique to Leh airport. Before boarding the bus , one foreign woman asked the security officer , in what order to board . He replied " Random", she broke into giggles. Welcome to India lady

The flight was on time and soon ladakh became a memory , a treasured trip of a life time.

Thank you all for reading the TL. Chao. :)

IMG_0220.jpg

Last edited: