Weekend drive to Bhimtal

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Though crossed many times, I had never stopped at Bhimtal. Always crossed Bhimtal in a jiffy to approach the ultimate destination which would be little far away, well mostly. It was not to be this time. A day before weekend of 25th – 26th May, Praveer called up with sad face urging to go out somewhere. I refused as I had an important Board Meeting to conduct on 27th. Rahul and Rakesh too joined the chorus and pressed for a short weekend drive. I had to relent as we had not been on a road trip together since our trip to Chaukori-Kausani in August 2018. All other three had been to Rishikesh last month as I could not join them due to tight work schedule. I proposed for Chakrata drive as I felt there would be slightly less rush as compared to other short weekend destinations. However, the group had been to Chakrata earlier so the plan was shelved. I was not too keen on Nainital but agreed for Bhimtal instead.

We decided to drive through the Friday night. We further decided to take Praveer’s Swift Dezire for the spin with driving duties to be shared between me and Rahul. I offered to drive during the hills while Rahul had to drive through the plains. This allowed me to take short naps in between. I reached Praveer’s home at Andrews Ganj and parked my vehicle there. Thereafter we picked up Rahul from Anand Vihar. Finally, we picked up Rakesh from Indirapuram at around 11.00 pm. Rahul took to the wheels from hereon. Initially the traffic was heavy due to construction work which eased only after Pilkhuwa. We took a tea break at a small road side shack. The tea was wonderful and gave us enough strength to drive non-stop till Rudrapur.

wheels in action
1.jpg

first tea break
2.jpg

some lighter moments
3.jpg

the tea was real good
4.jpg

between Rudrapur and Haldwani
5.jpg

another tea break
6.jpg

7.jpg

tea with bun-maska this time
8.jpg

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Roads from Rampur to Rudrapur have improved a lot and I think the four laning works will be completed in another 6-9 months. I took to wheels from Rudrapur and halted for a tea break with the day break at Kathgodam Railway Station at around 5.30 am. In another hour we were at Bhimtal scurrying for a place to rest. After trying few hotels and GMVN, we could find a room at Van Vilas resort situated by the lake side. The room was nice with a great view but the breakfast we had there was nothing to write about. There and then we decided to take lunch and dinner as some place elsewhere. After the breakfast, we took some rest.

looking for a decent stay
9.jpg

managed to get a room in Van Vilas resort by the lake side
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

the rooms were ok
13.jpg

with extra bed in the mezzanine floor
14.jpg

resort's dining area
15.jpg

16.jpg

dine with a view
17.jpg

not even the tea was good here
18.jpg

Alpha

Going to Neverland
After a sleep of few hours, we decided to venture out. However, Praveer chose to stay and take some more rest. Now three of us went for a round of boating in the lake. But before that we had some food and refreshment. After the boating we decided to head for a small drive towards Mukteshwar. We ended our drive at Dhanachuli bend and returned back to Bhimtal by 6.30 pm to find Praveer awake and waiting for us. Next few hours were spent in the balcony overlooking the pleasant lake and discussing politics.

went for boating
19.jpg

before boating some refreshment.. Soda-Shikanji was good
20.jpg

nice lunch near the boating site
21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

after boating a short drive ensued till Dhanachuli
26.jpg

a lovely sight
27.jpg

back again at our hotel balcony
28.jpg

evening hues
29.jpg

30.jpg

lone boatsman
31.jpg

thats the maximum height the balloon reaches..costs 1500 bucks
32.jpg

Alpha

Going to Neverland
After 9.00 pm we went outside for dinner and found a nice looking restaurant by the name Singh’s Restro Café and Home Stay. We decided to check out and were in for a pleasant surprise. The food was good though little overpriced. We ate heartily and returned back to our room. Our bodies was longing for some rest and we called it a day. We woke up leisurely next day and checked out around 10.00 am. We had breakfast in a roadside restaurant before Kathgodam. Thereafter we drove without break till Babugarh cant where we stopped for refreshments at Shiva Dhaba. I anded over the driving duties to Rahul and took the back seat for some rest as the roads were choked hereinafter. But Rahul managed to drive us though the ruckus. He dropped out at Ghazipur before dropping Rakesh at Indirapuram. I took to driving duties and reached Praveer’s home at around 9.00 pm where I picked up my car and drove back home for a good nights’ sleep.

Statutory warning: the last post is purely about food :D

33.jpg

seating arrangements
34.jpg

35.jpg

no body was interested to sit inside
36.jpg

both veg and non-veg was equally good
37.jpg

38.jpg

breakfast after Bhimtal
39.jpg