Weekend trip to Bhedaghat & Bandhavgarh

Discussion in 'Travelogues from West India' started by moonstar_paddy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. moonstar_paddy

moonstar_paddy Paddy

Took a (long) weekend trip to Bhedaghat and Bandhavgarh. Here are some teasers; full log coming soon....

tmp_20315-IMG_0854-EFFECTS906249479.jpg
    tmp_20315-IMG_0749-EFFECTS2045996276.jpg
    tmp_20315-IMG_07951357671402.jpg
    tmp_20315-IMG_0669425660398.jpg
    tmp_20315-IMG_0720-EFFECTS1590542248.jpg

2. Alpha

Alpha Going to Neverland

nice..waiting for it

3. moonstar_paddy

moonstar_paddy Paddy

Prologue: A long weekend with Monday off for Eid was approaching and I had ‘an itch in my ass’ (translate to hindi :p) to plan a trip and not stay home. I started looking for cheap flight options and the best deal I found was for a Nagpur return flight. I was thinking of either moving to Jagdalpur/Bastar in Chhatisgarh or head towards Bhedaghat, Jabalpur.

After a brief research, I finalized Bhedaghat and Bandhavgarh in MP, made a tentative itinerary and booked the safari online for Bandhavgarh. Next, I booked the hotels in Jabalpur and Bandhavgarh for one night each, booked bus ticket to and fro between Nagpur and Jabalpur.

D Day 23rd June 2017: I had packed my bag and got it in office as was to leave for airport directly from office. Somehow managed to do little work and was looking at the clock all the time. Fortunately my office is very close to international airport. At 4:45PM I booked an Uber and was at the airport by 5:10PM to catch a 6:30PM flight. Boarded the flight and was just waiting to reach and hoping it doesn’t rain much there as it was raining here in Mumbai.

Reached Nagpur and booked Ola share to Geetanjali Talkies chowk. Cabbie dropped another rider and accidentally ended my trip too ](*,). He immediately got a new trip request which he cancelled but before he could turn off the app, he got another request which was from airport again (we were about 3 Km away from airport). So he took me back to airport and the new rider that he picked was one of the passenger from my flight. Fortunately he wanted to go in the same direction that I had to go.

After all the confusion, I reached Geetanjali Chowk and called the bus operator who helped me locate their office. I had about an hour at hand before the bus departure time. Just roamed around, had food :popcorn: and waited for the bus. Boarded the bus and went off to sleep immediately.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    nadz11.ns likes this.
  4. moonstar_paddy

moonstar_paddy Paddy

24 June 2017: Got up early morning to a cloudy day but fortunately no rain. I got down at Deendayal Chowk and I had to head near Jabalpur railway station for my hotel. Rickshaws were available but they quoted about 150 rupees. I checked Ola but no cabs were available at 6:30 AM. I managed to walk out a little, had poha at a roadside stall and asked him for direction. He asked me to take a Metro from opp side that will cost about 10 rupees.

I was so EXCITED :supz: to know that there is Metro in Jabalpur. I ran towards the metro station that the Poha fellow pointed out and started looking for a metro station. I couldn’t find one so asked a few people waiting at the bus stop and they informed this is the metro station. While he said there, a bus (in terrible condition) came and he said there is your metro.. I had a mild heart attack :eek:.. that’s Jabalpur’e metro..

Anyway, I got in the bus and reached railway station. I had to now go on the other side of the station so walked through the station with a fear of getting caught without a valid ticket but I managed. Followed direction on google maps and reached the hotel. Completed check-in formalities, quickly finished morning chores and left the hotel after taking some direction advice from the hotel manager.

I again walked up to railway station and this time took a platform ticket. Crossed the bridge and got a direct bus… sorry.. ,metro :p to Bhedaghat/Dhuandhar falls . The bus was again in terrible condition but I was lucky to that I got a seat cause it was over an hour’s tedious bus journey. The sun was out now and it was getting hotter every hour.

I had plan to first be at Bhedaghat and then head towards Dhuandhar falls as I assumed it was quite far from Bhedaghat. The bus halted at the last stop which was Dhuandhar falls so I was little confused :-k on how to go to Bhedaghat. I was hungry so dropped into a Dhaba at the bus parking and had a small meal. Asked the serving person who mentioned that this is Dhuandhar falls and Bhedaghat was about a 2 Km before Dhuandhar falls.

I decided to continue with Dhuandhar falls so started walking in along with other people passing through a lot of souvenir shops. You cross a cable car pick up station and then there is open area from where you can hear the falls and get a glimpse as well. It might be a little under a kilometer walk to the falls but the moment you reach the fall, you will be awed… It was an amazing view..

I was surprised \\:D/to see so much water even towards the end of summers where most part of the country is dry and barren at this time of the year. I just kept on looking at the water flow from all possible angles and directions and couldn’t get enough of it. Walked towards the part of river before it converts in to a fall. People were taking bath and enjoying the flowing water so even I ended up dipping my legs. I wanted to get in the for a quick shower but I realized I was not carrying towel or spare clothes. After spending a few hours there, not fully satisfied though, I walked outwards to take the cable car and view the falls from the other side of the river.

A distant view of Dhuadhar Falls
    IMG_0667.JPG

Dhuadhar falls
    IMG_0669.JPG

Selfie with Dhuadhar falls
    IMG_0671.JPG

Some holy ritual (Pooja)
    IMG_0686.JPG

Dhuadhar falls
    IMG_0687.JPG

Selfie with Dhuadhar falls
    IMG_0692.JPG

View from Riverbed
    IMG_0700.JPG

River in full flow
    IMG_0710.JPG

Another view from Riverbed
    IMG_0714.JPG

Falls view from back of the falls.
    IMG_0715.JPG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    nadz11.ns, Alpha and classicrajat like this.
  5. Alpha

Alpha Going to Neverland

super update

6. moonstar_paddy

moonstar_paddy Paddy

Thank you :)

7. nadz11.ns

nadz11.ns Well-Known Member

Lovely update. =D>
    The waterfall looks majestic.

8. moonstar_paddy

moonstar_paddy Paddy

The cable car ride was amazing too as it gave a wonderful aerial view of the waterfall and you could see the river on both ends.
    As I got down there was a young chap who spoke about a sightseeing drive. I inquired and he showed me pictures of a few locations and said he will charge 300 bucks. I said I will pay 150 which initially he denied but then agreed as I was his first customer of the day.

We took a small drive for about 5-10 mins and reached a point from where you get a good view of canyon. He was my guide to who gave information about different points and what movie was shot there we could also see the point till where Bhedaghat Boat ride takes you.

We started heading back so I asked him what about the other sightseeing points that he was talking about and showed pics of? He said those will cost extra and are little far away too. I knew I was conned but thought I should have clarified.

Anyway I felt 150 was not a big loss and I got entire jeep to myself plus the guide seemed to be good guy so didn’t mind paying. He dropped me back to the cable card point and suggested me to walk down to this end of the river which I did and had a good view of the waterfall from this end too.

View from cable car
    IMG_0716.JPG
    River view from cable car
    IMG_0720.JPG
    Other side of the river - view from cable car
    IMG_0721.JPG

View from cable car
    IMG_0725.JPG
    The sight seeing point where the guide/chap took me in his jeep
    IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG
    Canyon view from the sight seeing point
    IMG_0729.JPG
    Thats me with the guide cum jeep driver who took me to this point.
    IMG_0730.JPG
    Selfie
    IMG_0733.JPG
    A small shanty in mid of the rock.. I wonder who lives there
    IMG_0741.JPG
    Those boats are from Bhedaghat.
    IMG_0742.JPG
    Back to Dhuadhar Falls.. from the other side of the river
    IMG_0743.JPG

Dhuadhar Falls.. from the other side of the river - Another difficult place to reach and live at :p
    IMG_0746.JPG
    I dunno the name of the bird but it was patiently waiting for fish to come under its shadow so it can attack and have a meal.
    IMG_0749.JPG
    A sugarcane juice (any liquid) was much needed after so much of walking in the scorching heat.
    IMG_0751.JPG
    Another view of river - way back in cable car
    IMG_0757.JPG

arunkumar19 likes this.
  9. moonstar_paddy

moonstar_paddy Paddy

Thank you :)

10. arunkumar19

arunkumar19 Active Member