What could break you, only makes you stronger| Recovery Trek to Kutla and Buddhaban, Himachal


God Loves Bikers
What could break you, only makes you stronger.
Last year on 16 August, 2017, I met a fatal accident that left me with broken tibia bone of my left leg. Injury was so much that doctors had to operate and provide support of a titanium rod throughout my leg and fix it with screws. I was given One year to start walking normally, Two Years to begin running, and may be in Three Years, Trekking.
I started walking in Four months, Cycling in Sixth, Climbing in Seven, Long walks in Nine, and after An year and Two Months, here I am back to trekking.

Here is a teaser:

Will post pictures and details once I am back to civilization.
Last edited:


God Loves Bikers

What could break you; only made you stronger. There are moments in life that happen in a fraction of seconds and you are never the same afterward. Here is my story.

Last year, I planned a short monsoon trek to Parashar Lake and wander around old Manali on 15th August holiday. I had my leave for 14th August approved to make it a long weekend trip. It was August 11, 2017, when I heard news of possible landslide in Mandi district of Himachal and somehow it reminded me of the tragedy of Kedarnath that I skipped by a hair. I had my rucksack packed, tent wrapped, food and medicines kept handy and tickets booked. All I could do was cancel the tickets and sit duck over the weekend.

August 16, 2017:

The day could be described as a perfect example of chaos theory’s Butterfly effect, where even one thing had happened where it was supposed to be, things could have been different. Better or worse, only sand of time will tell. I woke up at my usual 10 AM, saw my flatmate still getting ready for his office, and using the only washroom in our flat. I gingerly scolded him for being late again and telling him how it disturbed my morning routine, and put water in the coffee machine, only to get an immediate power-cut. No coffee, no morning; that’s how it is. Power came back at 10:30 AM and coffee came to carafe at 10:35 AM, I finished it by 10:45 and put on the morning playlist to help me keep track of time. By 11:30 AM I was ready for office, unlike my usual 11:15 AM, and went to iron my clothes. And BAM! Another power-cut. It was so irritating that I decided to skip the office altogether, and lay down the bed. Then I saw an ironed shirt hanging on the rope. I thought of work I had in office and wore it quickly. It was already 12:00 and I was late by exact 15 Minutes. Each thing was dashed forward by exact 15 minutes. I left my flat at 12:00, crossed the road at 12:05, stopped at the red light at 12:10 and reached near HCL Sector 58 at 12:15, where there is a cut between the roads for vehicles coming from the right to join the left lane. There was an e-Rickshaw on extreme right which had a huge iron gate loaded on it and had no way to take the wrong U-turn. I slowed my bike to take one pothole and a mountain of speed breaker, and in a fraction of second, the e-Rickshaw suddenly veered it’s left and lost control since it’s not designed for carrying such loads, and I had no way to stop or turn sideways due to broken metal road divider on my right.

It banged direct on my left leg, and it had some sort of knife-like mudguard which first pierced through my leg, then came out, leaving nearly six inches long deep cut in my leg, it also shattered my Tibia bone in the process. I had a blackout and when it went away, I was lying on road, people were making videos, and my leg was oozing blood like a tap had been opened. I gathered up myself and realized my leg must be broken and somehow called Fortis Hospital. They sent over an ambulance and I was rushed to the hospital. It’s strange that people were making videos with phones which could have been used to call the ambulance.

Days after the accident were haunting, since I have a condition which doesn’t let any painkiller or sedatives work on me, so I have to bear the pain. The injury was assessed and I was informed that my bone had been shattered into multiple pieces and they have to rebuild and join it again and provide support of titanium rod and screws to keep it together. I stayed in the hospital for about One and a Half week, and upon discharge, doctors told me one of the most heartbreaking thing...

The excessive blood-loss and intensity of impact had damaged the structure of my bone too much extent and I had to be wheelchair-bound for mobility for at least Six months, after six months I would be able to stand by giving half weight and using a walker. From six months onwards, I will slowly be able to walk with help of the walker. After One year, I will be able to walk without the support of walker and might need the help of a walking stick. After intensive physiotherapy and exercise, I will be able to start running, and if everything is fine, I will be able to trek again in Three to Four years.

I went through the pain every moment from the day after, lived through the hell, had my spirits nearly broken and after Three months, I was ready to give up….

Then one day, I decided to prove everyone wrong, and do the foolish mistake of standing before six months. I left the wheelchair, and put my feet on the ground. I felt a surge through my spine as soon as I put the feet on the cold floor. My heart was racing and fear engulfed my mind. I put the feet down completely and stood with quarter weight on my left leg. The night after was even more painful and I regretted my decision. But with God's grace I made the slow progress and in two months, with lots of exercises and excruciating pain, I started walking in Four Months and even joined the office back. It was tough and I could do nothing but make the pain my motivation.

I bought a cycle and started light cycling in Six months and I could see my leg’s strength regaining. Within a month I was able to climb a floor worth of stairs and by end of Eight months I was walking at least 3 Kilometers each day and slowly increasing the number of floors I could climb. I hadn’t traveled anywhere since last year and could only wait for gathering up the courage and strength to get somewhere. I knew I will feel liberated only in Himachal and that too at someplace where there won’t be usual crop of shouting -selfie-addict tourists.



God Loves Bikers
October 17, 2018

I finally decided to test myself and forget the pain I had for a year and suffering I had to go through. I looked up the places and found a small village called Kutla near Tosh and checked the travelogues to learn about the place. It seemed an easy trek and had an only small stretch of steep uphill path. The weather was pleasant and best part; most people stay in Tosh or Kasol and don’t even go beyond there since they get ‘high’ enough in Tosh already.

I booked my tickets from HPRTC bus and looked for my trekking gear. The rucksack I packed last year, was still packed the same and put on the loft by my flatmates, and there everything was still packed neatly. I threw out the medicines and food since it was expired, and cleared up the bag. I recently got another rucksack Forclaz50 from Quechua which has an internal Tent Pocket and Front loading zipper. I put everything into the new one and put the fresh food items for the trek. Next day was spent in working and waiting anxiously for the D-Day.

October 19, 2018

Delhi ISBT, felt the same and brought back the memories of my Kareri Lake trek. There were herds of young people who had rucksacks and backpacks indicating they are heading to enjoy their long weekend gateways. My rucksack was about 17 kgs and I could lift it easily with no signs of stress on my leg. I still wanted to sit and wait for the bus I had to take at 7:00 PM.

The bus arrived on time, and I boarded and sat on my seat. Like every time, there was a couple who wanted to switch seats since they booked last minute, which I politely declined. I booked a window seat because I wanted a window seat, can’t switch it for anyone. Maybe for someone my parent’s age or person with an infant, but not for anyone else.

I had a bus till Bhunter and on my way, I learned that the same bus goes till Kasol from where I can take another bus or board a taxi till Barshini or even Tosh! So I took another ticked from Bhunter to Kasol. The bus was running a little late and reached Kasol at around 12:30 PM. I had been sitting for more than 15 hours and really needed to stretch my legs. I found a cab going till Tosh and decided to take it up. One can choose to take a cab to Barshini and start the trek from there itself. I didn’t want to push myself much so I took the expensive option.

Tosh is a beautiful, scenic and hippie village for the “high” spirited people to ease down their life and lose their conscious in bottles of alcohol. I could see people losing their mind and mostly being psychologically uplifted on the way and that made me wonder if I chose the wrong place. But once I left the Tosh village, it was all calm. The snowcapped mountains could be seen and fresh air worked like charm. Every once in a while there were locals coming from the other side, but none were moving towards Kutla.

View from Tosh Taxi Stand

Tosh Taxi Stand

The place makes me sing Phir Se Ud Chala Song,

Tosg Village from the other side

On the way to Kutla

After an hour or so, I reached waterfall café, where several cafés have been put together on the way of the waterfall of Tosh River where you can sit with your feet in freezing water and enjoy tea and Maggie and other stuff. I sat there for a while and had tea. My leg started to show signs of stress and a backup plan I even decided on a camping spot nearby. The café owner told me that from here, the trek is just uphill and has steep and dusty patches which would be difficult with the heavy rucksack. People only do a day hike to the place and don’t stay there at night. I rested for a while and moved up. On the way, it started raining and it was hailstorm. I found shelter beneath a bunch of trees where a group of four people was already sitting. I learned they were from Chennai and came all the way to have their first trek here. One of their members was having pain due to a pulled hamstring during exercise. I asked if he needed any help, but he just wanted to rest for a bit. I pulled out my poncho and covered my bag with rain cover and left the place. The rain stopped very soon and it was getting colder.

Waterfall Cafe

The climb up was tough for my tired body and I would take more breaks than usual, but still, I didn’t want to stop. The path turned really muddy and full of slippery muck that was making it hard to stay the course. Having a hiking pole helped a lot and I kept my foot firm to avoid any twisted ankle. Having screws close to ankle makes a simple twist to ankle a gut-wrenching experience. After about an hour, I saw a small cottage on the top and it marked the entrance of Kutla. I sat there and heaved a sigh of relief. I went to the first cottage that came and asked for some tea. The place is named Shiva’s Peace Point and is run by an old man and his grandchildren who stay there till winters allow it to be inhabitable. After some time, the group I met also arrived at the place. They actually had contacted the place before leaving and had the stay planned in the rooms available. There was just one room available and they were ready to adjust in the same to spend the night. The charge was ~800-1200 RS for the room. The cottage is built with a wood frame and stone walls, which is the authentic architecture of the area.

This place marks the entrance of Kutla

Shiva's Peace Cafe

And the Other Side

Since it felt like it would rain in the night, I asked if I can pitch my tent inside the fence and stay there. The owner told me a charge of 200 rs and agreed. I could have stayed outside, but I felt it’s better to stay around since weather could take any turn on the mountains. They had Maggie and bread-omelet for quick bites and Dal-Chawal for dinner. I brought aloo-parathe from Tashi Café in Tosh, so I was covered for the food.

Getting there was nothing short of an accomplishment for me and I felt proud of myself, but still, I had halfway to Buddhaban camping ground, where I planned to go the next day.

I pitched my tent and settled for the night. It was hailstorm all night and temperature dropped to as low as -5 and I could feel my 5* C rated sleeping bag being insufficient. I put up another layer of a fleece jacket and woolen socks to keep myself warm.

Next Morning, I woke up around 6 AM and sat under the sun till I could. It felt really good and rejuvenating after such a long time. This part of solo travel makes me go back again and again to such endeavors. Being around the mountains, under fragrance of pine trees, with the sound of small rivers traversing through the narrow paths, and absolutely no one to bother you with senseless chitter-chatter. It was around 8 AM when I saw people walking around and making their ways towards Tosh village. I went back to the cottage and asked for some tea and packed my tent for the way up. They didn’t have any parathe, and I don’t eat the egg, so I had to do with trusted Parle-G to get the energy.

Mornings Be like

This Good Boi followed me till Buddhaban

I asked the way up and took the beaten path towards Buddhaban camping site. The place is true to the sense where destination doesn’t matter but the journey makes it worthwhile. The camping site itself is nothing out of ordinary and pretty average for the Himalayan camping experience, but the path leading to it makes it really enjoyable. There was no one except a few ponies and serenity around the place. I found a place where I could pitch my tent safely and stay the night. I stayed around, making time-lapse, general videos, writing random thoughts, and just doing anything that could stop time. Around evening, an Australian traveler came over and asked me if I am staying the night and on confirming, pitched his tent next to mine.

We chatted for a while, shared a meal and experiences of life until it started raining back. We both went inside the tents and wished a good night. Later at night, it was freezing cold when he asked me if I had any spare woolen or jacket, I hadn’t. I only had one pocket windcheater, which was not sufficient for him. Then suddenly he realized he had a stove and I had instant soup packets. We put water on the stove and had most amazing soup in the world at a place where all you could feel was cold winds and hear the sound of the Tosh River making its way through the valley.

Towards Buddhaban


Buddhaban Camping Ground

Next morning, we had coffee together and he left after a while. I had a bus from Bhunter at 8:30 PM, so I had a lot of time. I soaked in the synergy of the place until I could and started hiking towards Kutla. I made a quick stop at Shiva’s Peace point and had Maggie and tea. Then all the way back to Tosh, where I could see lots of people making noise at waterfall café. Way back was much easier and I was sitting at Tashi’s café by 11:30 AM and having one of the best masala chai with Aloo-Parathe. I just sat there till 12:30 PM talking to Tashi and several travelers who stayed. I observed that most Indian tourists were just sitting and smoking, while foreigners were just relaxing and experiencing more of their surroundings.

Tashi's Cafe

From Tosh, I boarded a taxi which took me to Barshini and there I boarded a Bus at 1:30 PM which took me to Bhunter via Kasol and Manikarn. By 6 PM, I was having Samose and Chai at Bhunter. The bus was supposed to be arriving near Flight View Hotel where lots of people were waiting for their bus and had lots of fruits shops. I took bought half kgs of apples and found a place to sit a little away from the crowd. The bus arrived on time and all I had to do was, just sit entire night until morning.

Every time I go on such trips, it’s always sad to get back to polluted Delhi/NCR, but there is nothing else I can do. It was the trip I needed to recover my body, mind and soul, and a successful one for that matter.

Cost and Other Details:

Bus and Taxi

1. Delhi to Bhunter – 629 rs HPRTC Ordinary Bus
2. Bhunter to Kasol – 56 rs HPRTC Ordinary Bus
3. Kasol to Tosh taxi – 900 rs
4. Tosh to Barshaini – 300 RS
5. Barshaini to Bhunter Bus – 90 RS HPRTC Ordinary Bus
6. Bhunter to Delhi Volvo – 1300 RS

1. 200 RS for staying in Shiva’s peace café perimeter

Food and Misc: ~600 RS

That marks end of the log.
I have a few more photos, that I will post soon. :)