What is that water body near Chandratal?

However, I am not sure, how different or beautiful the sight of the place would be.
Guess, it's for us to figure out now ;)
If time, terrain and body permit, will report it to you Captain :)

Last edited:

hiambuj

Staff member
This view suggests there is some part of the water which is stagnant indeed. What should this be called? Lake? :confused:
Shall have to call Jamaica to quickly do a Recce :p.
3.JPG

Jamaica just went to Chandratal a while back. He called up in the morning :) .... Will be back on 31st ;) .... I wish i had this figured out before he left.
He also has a landline number and a manager now. So if anybody needs info, while he is unreachable - 01906200411. Manager's name - Lal.

This place is surely difficult to trek.
It is more distant than Chandra Taal.
Go with extra days in hand to explore this place.
The place seems more frozen.
Better go in late August or in September.

Satinder Ji.
Thanks for the inputs.
if you, or anyone you know is going there, please lemme know :) ... i can benefit from the likes of you :)

SHEKHAR 257

Be a Good person but Don't try to Prove.
Hi All
What is that water body near chandratal?
The new Lake that emerged?
Or an old lake that has been there and yet not explored?

View attachment 414208
Saurabh As far as I remember I saw this place to my left when walking towards Chandratal.It seemed to be at a distance of 2-3 Km from Chandratal. It looked like a glacial melt to me.I have also taken pictures of that. Will post pictures of the same after reaching home.

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
Samundri Tapu is a glacier, the originator of Chandra river. The water body definitely points towards the glacier and might be a part of it. Tanveer did have a couple of shots of the glacier, check out his 2012 log. Smugmug is banned at my workplace :x

Also Tanveer wrote about how its accessibility. You basically have to rappel across the river. So yes, inaccessible until you find a bridge to cross over and walk all the way.

skysat2005

Super User
One thing is very clear, this place is not what it looks to be in Google Earth. Had it been a lake like Chandrataal, it would have been another big tourist spot of Lahaul but that's not the case. There's no mention of this lake/place anywhere, be it travel forums or information websites on geography of Lahaul and Spiti. In all likelihood, it is a melting glacier.
Lets see what Jamaica says:)

hiambuj

Staff member
Samundri Tapu is a glacier, the originator of Chandra river. The water body definitely points towards the glacier and might be a part of it. Tanveer did have a couple of shots of the glacier, check out his 2012 log. Smugmug is banned at my workplace :x

Also Tanveer wrote about how its accessibility. You basically have to rappel across the river. So yes, inaccessible until you find a bridge to cross over and walk all the way.
The Samudri Tapu is origin of Chandra, yes.
But the one on left is not the same. Two are different.

Reference is here in Tanveer's log http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/travelogues-north-india-f61/lake-moon-spiti-sprint-t26365-6/#post325908

& yes, it surely looks like a stream coming out of Glacier now, as I thought after seeing those GE pics.

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
The Samudri Tapu is origin of Chandra, yes.
But the one on left is not the same. Two are different.

Reference is here in Tanveer's log http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/travelogues-north-india-f61/lake-moon-spiti-sprint-t26365-6/#post325908

& yes, it surely looks like a stream coming out of Glacier now, as I thought after seeing those GE pics.
There was another thread of a gentleman who had stayed at the Chandratal camps for 3 days and explored the surroundings. It had even more details. Can't seem to find it now. But for all I know, this water body is the leftover of a retracted glacier (Samudri Tapu?) which essentially forms into an independent glacial lake in due course of time.