What is your opinion about a eco-friendly accommodation 17 km from Shimla ?

jjamwal

I hope that this thread will not be breaking any rules. "We" are planning to open an accommodation in Fagu in an apple orchard. Driving distance from Shimla is about 17 km. Plan is to keep the orchard functional and build some structures, a guest house and huts with minimal ecological impact.

Planning to use solar heaters, solar energy, rainwater harvesting and other stuff to keep it as green as possible. The views from site are pretty good and the weather pleasant to cold all year round.

So I am just asking for advice.
Will it be a good idea as Fagu is largely unknown to most tourists ?

jjamwal

Fagu largely unknown to tourists?!! :eek:
You need to first do a reality check.
In my experience, only some percentage of north-Indians who have visited Himachal often know about Fagu or it's beauty as a tourist place.
But then an overwhelming majority of my clients have been foreigners who don't know much to begin wit.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
You seem to be from the travel industry. If an overwhelming number of your clients are foreigners what will they do at Fagu? As you know they are very 'outdoor' people and need trekking trails, hiking/walking trails and some form of outdoor activity. Fagu doesn't really have much to offer.

jjamwal

Yes, most of clients till now have been foreigners, but they are for other stuff like day tours and activities. But things keep on changing. The accommodation/resort is expected to have majority of Indian tourists who are looking to stay in mountains, but not in a crowded city like Shimla. On the other hand, quite a few people want a place to stay quietly for long stays.

There are a few day hikes near Fagu, but you are right about them not being any interesting for non-Indians.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most Indian families look for a 'market' to do some shopping.
Husbands can never get the ladies to stay at secluded places that have no scope for shopping for miles around! Ask me! :grin:
Much as men like to ask for quiet places they know they cannot actually spend any more than a day or two at such places. And such stays have to be followed by a 'regular' place like Shimla, Mussoorie, Nainital, Manali or whatever, with proper markets!

ankitgoel10

Husbands can never get the ladies to stay at secluded places that have no scope for shopping for miles around! Ask me! :grin:
Much as men like to ask for quiet places they know they cannot actually spend any more than a day or two at such places. And such stays have to be followed by a 'regular' place like Shimla, Mussoorie, Nainital, Manali or whatever, with proper markets!
So true! Anup Sir! :(

teufel

Sad but true, Anup sir! To be candid, I don't mind spending a day at a regular place at the end of a week long trip in secluded places.

Having said that, @jjamwal : Fagu is not a very enticing option, people flock to chharabra/kufri at the most and if they are willing to go further they usually prefer Narkanda / Apple orchards at Thanedar.
Fagu is a crowded place and not very inviting. You would need some good marketing to get a slice of either pie.

jjamwal

Sad but true, Anup sir! To be candid, I don't mind spending a day at a regular place at the end of a week long trip in secluded places.

Having said that, @jjamwal : Fagu is not a very enticing option, people flock to chharabra/kufri at the most and if they are willing to go further they usually prefer Narkanda / Apple orchards at Thanedar.
Fagu is a crowded place and not very inviting. You would need some good marketing to get a slice of either pie.

Yes, great marketing and links are needed, but I am not sure about Fagu being crowded.