What should be a relaxed itinerary for Ladakh

nadz11.ns

Super User
Of late, most of the itineraries on Ladakh I have seen are really fast paced. Most want to do the circuit in 10-12 days. But I think this circuit should be given more time and the places should be enjoyed and not rushed.

Can those who have been to Ladakh share their views on this and help make a relaxed itinerary (3 weeks or so) for first timers.

Sharing the places that I have in mind and the route could be the same.
Jammu - Srinagar - Kargil - Leh - Nubra - Pangong - Hanle - Tso Moriri - Sarchu - Manali - Jammu

Now say I have 3 weeks in hand and some 15k and ride my own bike, what should be my plan? (most probably solo)
Will this amount be enough?
Places to see and spend the night at?
Places which should be given more time and the likes?

EDIT 1: Looks like the budget of 15k isn't going to be enough for what I had in mind and I agree with what Amit and YS have said. So keeping this in mind, planning to make a short yet good itinerary for Mid to Late August.

EDIT 2: Itinerary by YS, which I will follow.
Day 1: Jammu to Srinagar

Day 2: Srinagar to Kargil, accommodation is going to be expensive here. So try and reach as soon as you can and hunt around. The later you reach here in the evening, more expensive the things will become.

Day 3: Kargil to Leh, en route visit Lamayuru Monastery, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Indus and Zanskar Confluence, Magnetic Hill and Hall of Fame. Make sure to start early in the morning, since Hall of Fame which is on the outskirts of Leh, closes in evening. Also reaching Leh before dark will give you plenty of time to look for accommodation. There are small streets leading from Changspa and Fort Road, where accommodation (small guest houses and home stays by locals) can be easily found for less than Rs. 500 a night.

Day 4: Get the Inner Line Permit for Nubra Valley, Warshi, Turtuk and Pangong Tso. Visit the main market (mosque is right in the middle of it), Leh Palace, Namgyal Tsemo Gompa and Shanti Stupa.

Day 5: Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardung La. After Khalsar, take the detour for Sumur and keep riding till Warshi Village (make sure to have food at Sumur or Panamik, you won’t find much after that.) Ride till Warshi Village or until you feel you have come far enough to reach back to Panamik by 5:30 pm. Spend the night at Panamik or in case things seem expensive, come back to Sumur and spend the night there.

Day 6: Ride back to the bifurcation, from where you took the road to Sumur. Take the diversion for Diskit and Hunder. Ride up to Turtuk Village, spend some time there and in case you find accommodation cheap, spend the night there, else ride back to Diskit and stay there. There are plenty of small guest houses in Diskit, so finding something for around Rs. 500 a night shouldn’t be impossible. Visit Sumur Monastery and Hunder Sand Dunes. Tank up at the Diskit petrol pump.

Day 7: if you spent the night at Diskit, then visit the Diskit Monastery and afterward take the Shyok route to Pangong Tso. Just make sure to leave Diskit by 9 am, so that you can reach Spangmik before dark. Have your fill at Khalsar, food is decent there. After this, you will find food at Shyok Village. Reach Pangong Tso and ride straight to Spangmik Village and start looking for home stays. These are your best bet for low-cost accommodation, otherwise, you will have to shell out a lot of money for the tents.

Day 8: Ride up to Merak Village and enjoy your time along Pangong Tso.

Day 9: Start early in the morning from Pangong Tso, at Tangste Village, take the left turn. You can safely ride for 20 km without encountering any check posts and see the Harong Wet Lands. You can also visit the monastery at Tangste. Chill at Leh in the evening.

Day 10: The chill day, you can cover monasteries (Shey, Thiksey, Hemis, Stakna etc.) or just relax in Leh and enjoy the café culture.

Day 11: Leh to Kargil.
Day 12: Kargil to Srinagar (visit the Drass War Memorial en route.)
Day 13: Back to the grind.

EDIT 3: Permit is calculated in the following manner:
One time environmental fee = Rs. 400 per person
Wildlife protection fee = Rs. 20 per day x [no. of people]
Red Cross donation = Rs. 100

Last edited:

amitw79

Super User
3 weeks+Solo = 15K. I seriously doubt it.
I would say for three week solo, budget should be around atleast 25k.

nadz11.ns

Super User
3 weeks+Solo = 15K. I seriously doubt it.
I would say for three week solo, budget should be around atleast 25k.
Thank you for the reply and point noted.
So not 3 weeks, how long can a budget rider stay and ride there in this budget? Well, can extend the budget by a couple of more k's.

I know going solo is more expensive than in a group. I have asked a friend, but I doubt he will come.

amitw79

Super User
If you have 3 weeks in hand but are short on budget, then I would say try to extend budget and enjoy those 3 weeks to the max.
You never know if you would ever get 3 weeks to spend solo, especially after getting married ](*,)

nadz11.ns

Super User
If you have 3 weeks in hand but are short on budget, then I would say try to extend budget and enjoy those 3 weeks to the max.
You never know if you would ever get 3 weeks to spend solo, especially after getting married ](*,)
Haha.. you are saying this by experience

This much budget is tough. haha.. being unemployed isn't easy. Big on time and less on greens.I will see what I can do in this regard.
But will make an itinerary for 3 weeks or so and see how much I can do. Thinking of doing in July end or August.

Last edited:

nadz11.ns

Super User
You can just about do with 18-20K budget for 2 week trip. So if budget constraint remains, then plan out for 2 weeks max.
18-20k for 2 weeks :eek: Wish I had some relatives in Ladakh :rolleyes: this problem should have been solved. haha..

First, let us see what itinerary is drafted and then based on my main constraint ](*,), can pick out the most suitable for me.
As for the whole 3 weeks, someone else with the resources can help from this.

P.S. I will have stay available at Srinagar and most probably in Leh (hopefully) for a day or two. That will cut some expenses out for me.

adsatinder

explorer
18-20k for 2 weeks :eek: Wish I had some relatives in Ladakh :rolleyes: this problem should have been solved. haha..
Why not marry a Ladakhi !
LOL !

P.S. I will have stay available at Srinagar and most probably in Leh (hopefully) for a day or two. That will cut some expenses out for me.
You can stay at Dhaba around the main road while approaching Leh.
Similarly, try to be with groups or persons who are alone on this trip at different places.
In simple words : Make Friends on the Go !
Share room with unknown persons, if you are OK with the idea as many persons like to share the cost.
Stay at Lesser known places.
Everywhere Home stays are there.
Try to stay in Home Stays !

Become a Hero of Beg, Borrow &Steal series as Seen on TV !
You can fulfill any dream tour like this !

LOL !

Find some Army friends in Ladakh are and you can get a good accommodation out of city also !

nadz11.ns

Super User
Why not marry a Ladakhi !
:whistle:

Similarly, try to be with groups or persons who are alone on this trip at different places.
In simple words : Make Friends on the Go !
Share room with unknown persons, if you are OK with the idea as many persons like to share the cost.
Stay at Lesser known places.
Everywhere Home stays are there.
Try to stay in Home Stays
Valuable suggestion. Sharing isn't an issue with me. One can't always be sure that he will meet someone who is also willing to. But idea worth being open to.
Homestays will be the first priority. Hotels get too costly. :-#

Find some Army friends in Ladakh are and you can get a good accommodation out of city also !
Not many known Army personnels in Leg side. Know a few in Kashmir.

Anyways, about the itinerary, what should I follow?

nadz11.ns

Super User
1 Jammu to Srinagar
2 Srinagar to Kargil (Sonmarg/ Drass)
3 Kargil to Leh (Maitreya Buddha/ War Memorial/ Gompas at Lamayoru/ Indus-Zanskar Confluence)
4 Leh (Permits and Local Sightseeing)
5 Leh to Nubra Valley (Khardung La/ Diskit/ Hunder) Stay at Diskit or Hunder?
6 Hunder/Diskit to Sumur - Panamik
7 Sumur to Pangong Tso

After this? #-o
Let alone over 2 weeks, the above route I made finishes in 7 days :lol:
Places I have missed? And places to go after Pangong Tso?

And is it fast? Because going to this part of the state isn't an everyday deal and don't want to miss out on the details.