what should be the tyre changing schedule of a car?

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
Just curious. Is there any test that we can perform that will tell if we need to change the tyres?

My Ecosport has clocked around 35k and I was wondering what should be time frame in which we should change the tyres.

Gaurav Dutt

ॐ नमः शिवाय
...I do a test on my own, just move around the entire palm of your hand over the tyres, you will get to know if the surface is loosing its grip or not. there is I guess no way around we can check if the tyres are worn out.

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
Some tyres can run for 70k to 100k depending on driving speed, braking, time and many other factors.
Front tyres should have more grip. Replace 2 if not feeling good about them.keep them for back or as Stepney.
Each tyre has own life.
Check what others have experienced on that particular model and brand.

deepam

Super User
Minimum thread height or depth should be 1.5 mm [on any tyre- road contact surface]. Anything below is time for replacement. General Thumb rule is even if you have low mileage on your car, replace at least once in 5 years.
Due to the un-calibrated Wheel Alignment machines around; the inner side or outer side of the tyre wears faster. They just give the explanation in India bad roads are the cause of tyres wearing out fast.
As:
Some tyres can run for 70k to 100k depending on driving speed, braking, time and many other factors.
Front tyres should have more grip. Replace 2 if not feeling good about them.keep them for back or as Stepney.
Each tyre has own life.
Check what others have experienced on that particular model and brand.
There is nothing yardstick.
My car got OEM sets for 61 k km
Replaced 2nd set for just 34k km and for hardly 1.5 years! Irony with the second set I was extra cautious and frequency of Wheel alignment was more. It turned out to be a disaster and I had a faster wear-out of tyres.

Most of the Wheel Alignment machines both outside the ASC or inside ASC are never calibrated. Sometimes I just feel just do Wheel balancing and forget the Wheel Alignment.

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
Minimum thread height or depth should be 1.5 mm [on any tyre- road contact surface]. Anything below is time for replacement. General Thumb rule is even if you have low mileage on your car, replace at least once in 5 years.
Due to the un-calibrated Wheel Alignment machines around; the inner side or outer side of the tyre wears faster. They just give the explanation in India bad roads are the cause of tyres wearing out fast.
As:

There is nothing yardstick.
My car got OEM sets for 61 k km
Replaced 2nd set for just 34k km and for hardly 1.5 years! Irony with the second set I was extra cautious and frequency of Wheel alignment was more. It turned out to be a disaster and I had a faster wear-out of tyres.

Most of the Wheel Alignment machines both outside the ASC or inside ASC are never calibrated. Sometimes I just feel just do Wheel balancing and forget the Wheel Alignment.
I prefer the best one in town / area which has some name / credibility in Wheel Balancing.
This way you can be more secure. In city run problem is less. If you go out of city and on un even Roads, problem is more about Balancing. Steering gives indication about one side movement. Go to mechanic for opinion and with experience you can ask Wheel Balancing showroom owner too. They answer regular customer professionally.

Last edited:

deepam

Super User
I prefer the best one in town / area which has some name / credibility in Wheel Balancing.
This way you can be more secure. In city run problem is less. If you go out of city and on un event Roads, problem is more about Balancing. Steering gives indication about one side movement. Go to mechanic for opinion and with experience you can ask Balancing wheel showroom owner too. They answer regular customer professionally.
++++++++++++++++++++
I followed the same and I found out the reputed once too have issues in Alignment machines.
Balancing, till date I have not found any issues.

I drove my car on uneven roads and jumped some small speed breakers, when I went for wheel alignment; hardly there was any difference in toe settings.