When I Went Walking To Tibet - Kailash Mansarovar Yatra-2011

Just glued. Spell bound. Excellent narration Sir.

Sir here is one request, please also mention total expenditure per head in detail (as you mentioned your Itinerary in detail).

Thanks

DKay

Super User
Various committees and their role during yatra

Glued, added bookmark, awaiting updates.

Great write up, I think you can be a good author, consider publishing your books :) Great eye to details
Thanks Viny, I just love sharing information, hence the details ( Sorry some people might think its too much, but cant help)

Dheeraj strikes back. Welcome sir, glued to thread.
Hey Bunty, Its been long since we met, should meet up soon.

dkayji,excellent start. will certainly follow this thread
Yeap Excellent start.. waiting for more to pour in
Wow, another KM log from you DK, I am all up for it. Bring it on bro. Great start, looking for every small tid bit of information.
Many congratulations for completing the dream destination.
Congratulations for the trip... Glued to the log.... :)
Dheeraj, you did it again, just fantastic. I will be following this thread regularly :)
nice start Dkay sir. closely following.....
Thank You all!!!

VARIOUS COMMITTEES AND THEIR ROLE DURING YATRA

The Liason Officer (LO)
The MEA appoints a LO for each batch who is at the rank of an under secretary or above with the Govt Of India. The LO is the executive head and the leader of the group and is responsible for maintaining discipline and orderly conduct. He is the sole spokesman of the group and is responsible for liaising with Indian and Chinese authorities and his decision in all matters is final.

Food Committee
This committee is responsible for deciding menu’s on the Tibet side of the journey. Since we have to buy and cook our own food During Kailash and Mansarovar parikrama, the members of this committee buy collective ration and hire cooks on Tibet side for the whole group. The collective ration bought during India goes as common luggage.

Luggage committee
They are responsible for the luggage of the whole group. Each yatri is allowed to take 20kgs of luggage. 5kg per yatri is allocated for the collective food stuff that is transported to China. The main luggage of a yatri after Dharchula is transported by ponies and this is when the luggage restriction comes in place. So the luggage committee every day has to count the number of bags received from the yatris and given to the luggage contractor so at the need of the day we receive the same number of bags from the contractor.

Finance committee
Finance committee is responsible for collecting and controlling funds that are required for the whole group. Like money for common food, money for hiring cooks, money for collective tips, money for donations at various temples etc etc. Each member had given Rs3000/- towards common fund for the whole trip

Disciplinary Committee
I dont know why this was even formed at the first place

I am eargly waiting for each update of your log. Had read you log from earlier K-M Yatra with your mom and I am sure this log is also developing in the same manner.

DKay

Super User
Day4 : Delhi to Almora: 360kms

It was an early morning start, very early for the luggage committee. The luggage committee was suppose to get up an hour before the other yatris to collect the luggage count them and give it to the luggage contractor. The luggage was then loaded on to a truck and was sent on it way. The luggage was suppose to go straight to Dharchula instead of going to Almora where we were supposed to halt at the night.

The yatris were ready by 0600 hrs and after a grand send off by another NGO at Gujrati Samaj we were on our way to Kathgodam. We were suppose to change buses at Kathgodam, leave the luxurious volvo we were traveling in and get on to smaller buses.

But before that breakfast was organised at Gaziabad by another NGO. So after more felicitations, more speeches, and more freebies and breakfast we were back again en-route to the destination of the day- Almora.

After crossing the good yet messy and chaotic roads of UP we reached Kathgodam. KMVN had organised a reception and lunch for us there. After a quick lunch we transferred to smaller non-a/c buses for the rest of our journey. The journey was getting better and better and much cooler as we went higher up in the mountains.

Rain and cool breeze helped the atmosphere to liven up. This was also the best time to get to know people and interact with them. Its funny how the mind decides whom to be with and whom to ignore on such journeys. And its funny how your first instinct is usually always right in such matters. The same happened with me. the friends I made during the first few days happened to be my best friends for the rest of the trip.

Since it was a religious trip, we stopped by all the major temples en-route, After all we were in Uttrakhand- Dev Bhumi!! Such stoppages were always welcome as this gave us time to get out of the cramped bus and stretch our limbs and ofcourse also have Chai-Pakoras enjoying the lovely weather.

So with all the stoppages by the time we reached Almora it was pretty late. KMVN had organised our stay in one of their rest houses. The rest house was pretty nice and luckily it had hot water. So after a quick shower and dinner it was time to sleep. We would'nt be getting our luggage today so we were spared of the ritual of packing and re-packing.

Pics from Day4

Farewell at Gujrati Samaj
DSC00235.JPG

the group at Gazhiabad
DSC00242.JPG

KMVN guest house at Kathgodam
DSC00244.JPG

DSC00246.JPG

Felicitations and lunch at Kathgodam
DSC00247.JPG

A temple en-route we stopped at.
DSC00251.JPG

Enjoying the chai-Pakora in the lovely weather
DSC00252.JPG

Reached Almora KMVN late in the evening
DSC00259.JPG

DAY5 : Almora to Dharchula (210 kms)

Almora to Dharchula was to be done in the small buses we boarded at Kathgodam. We started quite early as usual and had to stop at a place called Dania for breakfast. All the meals & accommodation are oragnised by KMVN at their guest houses in India side. The meals are simple yet are served hot so are quite tasty.

After Dania we reached the town of Pithoragarh. Again after a grand reception by school kids and Lunch we moved on towards Dharchula. The roads from here onwards got really narrow and really bad. There were lots of land slides on the way which were just cleared or were being cleared as we reached.

The progress was slow and the ride was bumpy, The narrow mountainous roads and continuous rain was making the ride even more adventurous. But no one was complaining. Everyone was busy enjoying the vistas or napping.

Then we stopped at a few more temples before we reached Mirthi. Mirthi is the ITBP head quarters. At Mirthi we had a splendid welcome with a few cultural programmes, some snacks and some more briefings. Whatever Our Men in uniform do, they do it with their heart and not because its their duty, this is what separates them from others. ITBP briefings have been the best so this time also it was precise and to the point. There was no scoring points over the yatris like some of the NGO's were trying to do earlier.

We also had our group photograph taken here which was given to us on return.

It was late by the time we reached Dharchula. Dharchula is a border time on River Kali. Kali forms the natural border between India and Nepal. There is a bridge that connects the two nations and the bridge is open from 0600 hrs till 1800hrs. Since Nepal is one of the countries where we can just walk into without any documents so this bridge is used by locals from both the countries to cross over. Surprising the town on Nepal side is also called Dharchula but its written as Darchula ( just a phoenetic difference)

It was raining heavily when we reached Dharchula, so any plans of going out and visiting the town were quashed. Our luggage was also waiting for us so we also had to unpack and pack our luggage again and give it back to the luggage committee with in two hours.

Dharchula KMVN guest house is one of the place where they have free cloak room facility for yatris. So if planned accordingly some luggage can be left here. Also here you can leave your extra cash or valuables safely.

Also at Dharchula the requirement for pony and porters has to be given as we will be on foot from tomorrow onwards. Luggage also has to be weighed here and no yatri is allowed to carry 25 kgs (20kgs + 5 kgs of common luggage). So usually all the luggage going on ponies is weighed as a group and in groups usually some people carry less and some more so it all balances out.

Pics Day5

Cloudy mornings
DSC00266.JPG

Breakfast at Dania KMVN
DSC00267.JPG

View from Dania
DSC00269.JPG

Landslides on the way
DSC00270.JPG

My new found friends, notice my new hair style:)
DSC00272.JPG

School Kids greeting us at Pithoragarh KMVN
DSC00275.JPG

A genuine concern
DSC00278.JPG

Mirthi Camp- Reception, snacks and briefing
DSC00279.JPG

DSC00280.JPG

DSC00283.JPG

DSC00288.JPG

DSC00291.JPG

After all this it was pretty late and it was time to rest, the foot journey starts tomorrow.

Last edited:

bunty1608

Re: Various committees and their role during yatra

Sure, Dheeraj its been real lng time, I called up Bhuwan sometime back, he is Gurgaon these days, lets make up one of these weekends.

DKay

Super User
Luggaage

I am eargly waiting for each update of your log. Had read you log from earlier K-M Yatra with your mom and I am sure this log is also developing in the same manner.
Hopefully you will enjoy this one too!!

Sure, Dheeraj its been real lng time, I called up Bhuwan sometime back, he is Gurgaon these days, lets make up one of these weekends.
Sure call and come over anytime, lets keep it at my place this time!!

Discussing Luggage

Luggage is very important factor that will determine how much time you will waste in opening, packing and again waterproofing it at each camps. Infact sometimes after a hard days walk, you are so tired that you dont even feel like opening your bag to take out anything. Also sometimes you will only be getting your bags at alternate camps so what you keep with you and what you send along in the common luggage is also important. Sometimes you only get your bag for 2 hours as the luggage contractor would want to send you bag ahead early so that it reaches the next camp before you do.

So what I mean is that you have to be very organized and precise in what you pack and how you pack.

Few points to remember about the luggage.

1. Apart from the common food items that go as common luggage on mules there are two type's of other luggage, one is yatri's big bag called the common yatri luggage and the other is the yatri's small bag/ rucksack known as the personnel luggage. The common food with the common luggage will be transported on mules from camp to camp. 25 kgs per yatri is part of the package and no extra payment is required for that.

The personal bag will be carried by yourself or by your porter if you have hired one so will be with you all the time.

2. Daily need items like medicines, rain coat, a change if required, some eatable, warm clothes (as required) a torch etc etc is to be carried in personal bag. The rest can go in your big bag with your common luggage.

3. The big bag that goes with the common luggage can not be a hard top one, it has to be a soft top so that it can be easily carried on mules.

4. Packing of the big bag is very important. Even important is waterproofing it. Do not keep any valuables or breakable items in this bag. Make sure to put each item in small polly bags and cover the bag with another plastic sheet and then put this in big jute bags provided by an NGO free of cost at Gujrati Samaj. Then tie this properly with nylon ropes that are also provided. This is important due to the way the bags are handled or rather manhandled

5. Write your name and bag number (if provided by the luggage committee) properly and in bold on the bag. It will be easier for the luggage committee to locate your bag at the time of distribution.

6. The luggage committee usually counts the total number of bags and hands it over to the luggage contractor so while receiving the same number is received. So please do not take your bag without informing the luggage committee.

7. At Dharchula the luggage restriction will come into place. Each yatri can only carry 25 kgs of luggage with them. This 25 kgs also include 5 kgs of common food stuff so effectively you can carry 20 kgs of personal belongings in the common luggage.

8. There are cloak room facilities available at Gujrati Samaj, Dharchula and at Gunji/Kalapani. While at Gujrati samaj its at payment the rest of the places its free so you can plan to leave stuff accordingly.

Its not prudent anyways to carry much luggage, you wont be requiring most of the stuff. MEA website has a comprehensive list of what to carry and how much to carry.

PIC A sample of how to pack your bag, notice the individual poly bags and then then everything in a bigger plastic sheet
DSC00468.JPG

Sample about how to pack your bag in jute bags for waterproofing and how to tie it properly and label it
DSC06960.JPG

Luggage committee weighing the luggage at Dharchula and handing over to the Luggage contractor.
DSC06962.JPG

rkbharat

Guru
your both Mansrover logs can be combined as a ready and complete reference for mansrover yatra.

wonderful job buddy