Which coffee maker to buy?

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Which front loading washing machine to buy?

.... the miele coffee machines sure make a mean cuppa coffee for sure......i am sure we got better ones out there. ...
If you're really looking for a mean cup o'coffee get yourself a Bialetti Moka Express!
I am one very satisfied user! :)

kprixie

ok...please post reviews of this machine...with pics...

kprixie

Ok ..Got that...but where is ure review sir? it would be great if u could give a review on the taste of coffee and few steps in how u go about it. i saw this machine in shops and always wondered how the coffee would taste.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
@kprixie: review coming up shortly! My camera batteries are on charge.
It's as good as they say!

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, so here we are!

This is the coffee maker. And it brews a very fine cup indeed!
Works like a wee pressure cooker, at about 1.5 bar pressure. This seems to make all the difference. The coffee I was getting from the drip coffee makers and the percolators was just not as good as this one gives with the same coffee grounds.

IMG_5133.JPG

The taste of the coffee, well, depends on which coffee you are using.
I use quite a variety of them.
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG

The coffee from the Indian Coffee Board is also good and I do buy that frequently enough, the coarse ground powder gives better results. The fine ground seems to get past the filter and comes into the espresso! :eek:

kprixie

Very Interesting...do write more...
the array of coffee packs look so good. now most importantly. does the coffee actually taste different as in much better than the one we get from our barista machines...as in cafe coffee day..etc. i am not a fan of the french press coffee. but i do appreciate a good aroma and taste. best coffee i had so far in india was in Il Forno, Manali...this wonderful place run by the Italian lady. her coffees were so delicious and she says she makes them from coffee beans she gets from south india.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, kprixie, taste is one of those things.... to each his own!
If you take a shine to South Indian coffee, you could buy Devan's coffee powder. Most shops here stock that. Then there are a few South Indian shops in Munirka market and Lodi Colony market. They stock some unbranded coffee beans and powders. These are very good at times but there is no guarantee of repeatability!

For fine ground South Indian coffee powders I use the double decker decoction utensil that is used throughout the South. It does give very satisfying results with the right roast! But there is the problem - how does one ensure a steady supply of same quality coffee?! Further, making the decoction takes far too much time!

The coffee from the Moka Express is not going to be comparable to what a true blue espresso machine makes at 15 bar pressure! But then, it is not costing you seventy five rupees per cup either! And you enjoy it in the cosy confines of your home. Coffee is not a good take-away item! A reheated cup is a cup destroyed! :)

However, it does give a better cup than drip coffee makers or french presses or coffee percolators.
A good cup without tears, as it were. Very easy to maintain and requires virtually no maintenance for years!
Bialetti would be impossible to find in India but there are enough look-a likes that work just as well! In fact one Indian company was OEM supplier to Bialetti till a few years ago!

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
I recently bought a 15 bar Espresso machine and the Espresso is good with nice crema and it doesnt cost Rs. 75 per cup. I doubt a stove top coffee maker will ever give you any crema.

As for Devan and unbranded coffee shops in Munirka and Lodi Colony market, Devan itself is a small shop in Khanna Market Lodi Colony which is supplying to many bigger outlets. I buy my coffee directly from him and I am still experimenting with different blends.