Which coffee maker to buy?

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amit, welcome!
We'll soon have a coffee lovers thread going here! :)

I did mention that the Moka Express cannot rival the full fledged espresso makers, but this is a really convenient way to make a good cup at home.
And of course it will not cost seventy five to make coffee at home; not unless you factor in the cost of a genuine espresso machine! :grin:

Crema for me is not terribly important; I usually make a latté!

I find the Indian Coffee Board coffee better than Devan's.
The Jacob's Krönung and the Douwe Egberts Intense are superior!

Do you prefer espresso?
And please do post a photo or two of your machine.

asmita

Had Hears of wine appreciation classes...but coffee!...must be interesting...
It was. I am a tea drinker but enjoyed the workshop a lot. Manideep and Aharnish, roasters at Finca Specialty Coffee shared knowledge about various coffee types. If you are on twitter then you can follow @beanbuffs to check out the pictures from workshop.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amit, waiting for a pic or two of your espresso machine.
Did you also invest in a burr grinder?

Which coffee are you using?

DTPMatt

For me the easiest and best machine to use is the Philips Senseo that takes coffee pads.

Im totally addicted to it and begin my day with about 5 cups of extra strong!

oriole12

Nature Lover
Oh! I missed this thread till now.
Great advice by AnupJi as always. I am a great fan of coffee. At home we do not use nescafe, Bru or any instant coffee at all. I get my coffee from three sources.
Indian Coffee I get directly from Deven's at Khanna Market. The advantage is, you can get the right blend you want. He keeps two premium Arabica variety, Peaberry and Plantation( Flatberry). Peaberry makes highly aromatic coffee while plantation produces slightly less aromatic ad slightly stronger coffee. The two can be blended to different proportions according to your taste. I get what they call the Special blend which is 50:50 blend of the two.
He can also produce Monsooned Malabar coffee but does not keep it in stock most of the time. This is one of the most loved coffees in the world. Some, especially Tamilians get a bit of chicory added to the coffee powder while grinding. One has also to specify what kind of brewing is one planning to do. For the double decker South Indian Coffee Filter ( I will post an image) you need finer grains. while the contraption that Anupji has recommended (Moka Express) or other types of Coffee Percolators and the American style Drip Coffee Maker require a little more coarse grind. The sales person there will know.
My second source is USA. My daughter works for a US company and she has to visit the Headquarters frequently. One of the items that I keep requesting her to bring or get when colleagues come is coffee powder. My favourites are Yuban, Folgers, Maxwell House and an occasional Cafe Britt from Costa Rica.
My third source is from Bangalore where Classic Pride, not very popular brand sells a mixture of Arabic and Robusta, slightly better than what Deven sells.

Now coming to Kprixie's original questio: which coffee maker to buy
It depends, as AnupJi said what your taste in coffee is and how much pains you are willing to take for your preferred type.
The easiest to make is the American electric drip type.
All online retailers sell many brands and most of them are good. Ensure that the Coffee Maker has a permanent filter and not the paper filter that Americans are very fond of. It is difficult to find filters.
The second is the Moka Express and similar stove-top percolators. Deven sells some brands. Many stores specializing in kitchen appliances in major cities would stock these type percolators.
The most difficult ( and according to me the best) is the South Indian Filter Coffee Maker. Here is a video link on how to make coffee using it.

[video=youtube;gi67ER99x18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi67ER99x18[/video]

The friendly neighbourhood Madrasi store would have this type in stock or he can get it for you. For those addicted to online shopping, here is a link

Stainless Steel South Indian Filter Coffee Drip maker | eBay

There is another type of coffee maker worth a mention. This is called the French Press which has a glass pot and a fine mesh filterattached to a plunger. Put coffee powder in the glass, add boiling water and place the filter tightly on top and press the plunger down after three minutes. Makes coffee which I would not like to drink, but some of friends like it. This is very easy also.

Here is a link to those interested.

[video=youtube;YIKr2EMkm48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKr2EMkm48[/video]

Oh! and there is another desi Kerala way of making coffee. Take a glass full of water pour it in a small vessel, bring to boil just once. Add one heaped spoon full of ground coffee powder and let is stand for two minutes. Strain the liquor. You get black coffee.
P.S. I prefer my coffee black. Those who want to pollute it with milk may do so, but just don't tell me that you did it!

Last edited by a moderator:

RIDEON

Wow, a coffee thread.
Till sometime back, I was using Moka Pot bought from a CCD outlet for 200 bucks. Though it worked well most of the times, on few instances, it simply didn't brew and I couldn't isolate the problems.

Now I am using CITIZEN Drip Coffee maker and am pretty happy with the results. More details here

http://www.citizencoffeemaker.in/

Only issue with this is that supply is limited and you don't get it in any "normal" shop. I bought mine from Usha Coffee, Munirka for 1600 bucks. I normally buy my coffee powder also from Usha Coffee (House Blend). Today I have got Vienna Blend from Devan's. Let's see how it goes

amitmaggoo

Insanity is Hereditary
Sir what a lovely detailed post. I am also using Devan's special blend these days. Their Espresso blend was little too strong for me so I am back to special blend.

Oh! I missed this thread till now.
Great advice by AnupJi as always. I am a great fan of coffee. At home we do not use nescafe, Bru or any instant coffee at all. I get my coffee from three sources.
Indian Coffee I get directly from Deven's at Khanna Market. The advantage is, you can get the right blend you want. He keeps two premium Arabica variety, Peaberry and Plantation( Flatberry). Peaberry makes highly aromatic coffee while plantation produces slightly less aromatic ad slightly stronger coffee. The two can be blended to different proportions according to your taste. I get what they call the Special blend which is 50:50 blend of the two.
He can also produce Monsooned Malabar coffee but does not keep it in stock most of the time. This is one of the most loved coffees in the world. Some, especially Tamilians get a bit of chicory added to the coffee powder while grinding. One has also to specify what kind of brewing is one planning to do. For the double decker South Indian Coffee Filter ( I will post an image) you need finer grains. while the contraption that Anupji has recommended (Moka Express) or other types of Coffee Percolators and the American style Drip Coffee Maker require a little more coarse grind. The sales person there will know.
My second source is USA. My daughter works for a US company and she has to visit the Headquarters frequently. One of the items that I keep requesting her to bring or get when colleagues come is coffee powder. My favourites are Yuban, Folgers, Maxwell House and an occasional Cafe Britt from Costa Rica.
My third source is from Bangalore where Classic Pride, not very popular brand sells a mixture of Arabic and Robusta, slightly better than what Deven sells.

Now coming to Kprixie's original questio: which coffee maker to buy
It depends, as AnupJi said what your taste in coffee is and how much pains you are willing to take for your preferred type.
The easiest to make is the American electric drip type.
All online retailers sell many brands and most of them are good. Ensure that the Coffee Maker has a permanent filter and not the paper filter that Americans are very fond of. It is difficult to find filters.
The second is the Moka Express and similar stove-top percolators. Deven sells some brands. Many stores specializing in kitchen appliances in major cities would stock these type percolators.
The most difficult ( and according to me the best) is the South Indian Filter Coffee Maker. Here is a video link on how to make coffee using it.

Making the South Indian (Madras) filter coffee - YouTube

The friendly neighbourhood Madrasi store would have this type in stock or he can get it for you. For those addicted to online shopping, here is a link

Stainless Steel South Indian Filter Coffee Drip maker | eBay

There is another type of coffee maker worth a mention. This is called the French Press which has a glass pot and a fine mesh filterattached to a plunger. Put coffee powder in the glass, add boiling water and place the filter tightly on top and press the plunger down after three minutes. Makes coffee which I would not like to drink, but some of friends like it. This is very easy also.

Here is a link to those interested.

Coffee Talk: How to Use a French Press - YouTube

Oh! and there is another desi Kerala way of making coffee. Take a glass full of water pour it in a small vessel, bring to boil just once. Add one heaped spoon full of ground coffee powder and let is stand for two minutes. Strain the liquor. You get black coffee.
P.S. I prefer my coffee black. Those who want to pollute it with milk may do so, but just don't tell me that you did it!