Which coffee maker to buy?

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
I checked online for the South India type filter but most had bad reviews either about filter or about the quality of steel used. Hence I avoided it.

I hope that the one that's sold at CCD will be of better quality. I'll get one on the next visit.

Many thanks for your input sir. Had one of the best coffee brewed at 1.5 bar pressure using this newly acquired Bialetti Moka. Very satisfying indeed.

Re: Which front loading washing machine to buy?

If you're really looking for a mean cup o'coffee get yourself a Bialetti Moka Express!
I am one very satisfied user! :)

@anupmathur ji..
I've few doubts.
1. How do you wash bialetti moka express after usage? In instruction manual it's mentioned to use vinegar/citric acid in warm water. Any suggestions?
I added plain water without any coffee powder in the filter and allowed boiling water to clean through the moka. I didn't try any vinegar or citric acid.

2. Any regular maintenance/spare changes required for the device?

3. Best coffee bean you recommend and online buying source if any as I'm here in TN. I take adding less milk but quite strong. Currently I'm using the filter coffee powder mix of Peaberry 80% + Chicory 20% . Result is satisfying.

A filter coffee addict from interior Tamilnadu is totally blown by Italian wonder called Bialetti Moka.

Last edited:

uturn

Super User
@anupmathur ji..
I've few doubts.
1. How do you wash bialetti moka express after usage? In instruction manual it's mentioned to use vinegar/citric acid in warm water. Any suggestions?
I added plain water without any coffee powder in the filter and allowed boiling water to clean through the moka. I didn't try any vinegar or citric acid.

2. Any regular maintenance/spare changes required for the device?

3. Best coffee bean you recommend and online buying source if any as I'm here in TN. I take adding less milk but quite strong. Currently I'm using the filter coffee powder mix of Peaberry 80% + Chicory 20% . Result is satisfying.

A filter coffee addict from interior Tamilnadu is totally blown by Italian wonder called Bialetti Moka.
Try coffee company.
If available it’s a good brand.
In TN you get good local coffee.
IMG_2320.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never used vinegar or citric acid; only warm water to thoroughly rinse the vessel. The filter is rinsed with a toothbrush and under a tap. The only part that would need renewal is the gasket between the pressure vessel and the top collector. I have not yet had to replace it after a few years of use. I do not over-tighten the two parts and this helps prolong the life of the gasket which could otherwise get 'cut'. If I see a wee leakage on heating the pot, I use a kitchen towel and tighten it just a little more.

I have been using a few varieties of coffee powder, all Arabica 100%, and Robusta (strong). I am fortunate in that I get a steady supply from Dubai and Dublin a couple of times a year. Lavazza Crema Gusto is great and I am also partial to Jacob's.

The real espresso expert here is @amitmaggoo. See his posts earlier in this thread and see what he bought to satisfy his espresso cravings!

I have never used vinegar or citric acid; only warm water to thoroughly rinse the vessel. I do not over-tighten the two parts and this helps prolong the life of the gasket which could otherwise get 'cut'. If I see a wee leakage on heating the pot, I use a kitchen towel and tighten it just a little more.
Yes today morning I saw the gasket hence had the doubt of replacement of gasket. Exactly the same technique of not too much tightening of top lid I followed and got leakages of hot water from heating top. Good that you've explained that part as well. A dedicated towel will be placed hereafter. Strict instruction given at home not to clean this Moka. I'm the only certified operator and cleaner at home.

I will go through threads on good brand names.

Last edited:

oliveroliver

Personally, I have used multiple automatic machines, plungers etc. We always come back to stovetop coffee makers here. Easy to clean, robust (no broken glass with plunger), cheap to buy (vs machine) and consistent.

The south Indian traditional coffee filter will never disappoint. That's a reliable one too. Image taken from google search.

oliveroliver

Well I can’t really comment on which espresso machine to get because availability of machines are different throughout the world. I'd suggest just check some local coffee home brewers group or read up on forums, you could check these reviews on espresso machines.
When buying any machine, keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Better machines typically have better components and are more serviceable if something goes wrong. Thereay be additional features as well.