Which Laptop to buy?

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Vikas bhai, I dont think there is a dedicated thread. But there is one now :p

As new laptops keep on coming and everyone has different requirements, its difficult to have a generic thread.

do you have any configuration in mind?

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Right now I use a 4 yr old dell studio core i3 2 gen + 4GB ram. I am just able to manage my workload with this config.
problem with this laptop: It hangs when creating bigger panos in PS + exporting multiple files in LR + overheating + slowness in processing pictures (in LR, PS)
I would like to create timelapses in future.
personal use only.
If you plan to have similar usage i think minimum config should be : i7 + 8 GB RAM + IPS display + good graphics card

vikas_unzip

A Terrible Traveler!
Right now I use a 4 yr old dell studio core i3 2 gen + 4GB ram. I am just able to manage my workload with this config.
problem with this laptop: It hangs when creating bigger panos in PS + exporting multiple files in LR + overheating + slowness in processing pictures (in LR, PS)
I would like to create timelapses in future.
personal use only.
If you plan to have similar usage i think minimum config should be : i7 + 8 GB RAM + IPS display + good graphics card
Ankur Bhai Its going beyond my budget. Have flipped many websites and found i3 with 4gb and 500gb will cost me around 30k-35k. Depend on brand.
Now brand, Before reading your msg I had decided to buy Dell Vostro but going with your experience I may buy another one Like HP or Lenove.

Another friend has suggested me to buy Asus as he has mentioned same configuration is available under 23k.

Another question, Is it ok to buy laptop online?

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Vikas, I think you have got me wrong. I have nothing against Dell. Infact I may again go for a Dell laptop (DELL XPS) if i get required config.
But the config mentioned above should set me back by 75 K - 100 K
Of lately I have heard good reviews of Lenovo Yoga. Did you check them?

adsatinder

Plz Help Himabuj (Amit Tyagi) in Corona Fighting
I & other friends are using Acer Laptop without any complaints from last 5-8 years. I recommend at least i3 with 4GB RAM n 500GB hdd for all purposes.
You will get Acer in budget around 30K only in said i3 configuration.

You have to wait to process big files of RAW but other tasks are much easier to handle in this configuration.

amitw79

Super User
I have got 4 years old Sony Vaio laptop, I3, 6gb ram, 320gb hdd.
Originally laptop came with 2gb ram, I upgraded and added 4gb more to it. Installed original Window 8.
I am able to process RAW files using lightoom with decent performance, exported around 100 processed raw files, took a little while but never crashed.

So basically the idea is that get a decent configuration laptop in your budget range and then add more RAM to it to help performance somewhat, you should be able to get decent performance out of Lightroom and photoshop. Only other alternative ofcourse is to increase budget and atleast I5 with min 4GB ram.

vikas_unzip

A Terrible Traveler!
One of my Friend told me to go for HP he is saying i3 4th gen with 4Gb ram and 1TB HDD under 30k. To increase ram add 2500. What say?

amitw79

Super User
One of my Friend told me to go for HP he is saying i3 4th gen with 4Gb ram and 1TB HDD under 30k. To increase ram add 2500. What say?
Going a little technical... Most laptops have two ram slots.. Check the hp laptop if it occupies both the slots or not. That is if it has 2gb ram in each slot, if yes then while upgrading you would have to sacrifice one of the 2gb ram chips... But if you upgrade it on the spot from the same seller then maybe you can negotiate with him of buying back that 2gb ram and selling you additional ram.. Also need to ensure the additional ram you will buy is compatible with existing ram chip in the laptop.
Hope this helps.

ashish0712

TravelForNirvana
Well I am finding out that selecting a Good Laptop is the Toughest Thing to do...So Many Specifications, Such a Vast Price Range...Researching for last 2-3 months for Best Laptop for Photo and Video Editing...Yet not sure which is the Right Model

Suggest you to atleast buy Core i5 (5th Generation) + 8 GB RAM...Check Out the 2-1 (7348)....Comes in both Core i5 and Core i7...More Likely I will Buy this only

http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-13-7348-laptop/pd

XPS13 is an Indulgence if you have Budget for the same..Go For it...But 7348 is technically Yoga Pro 2 with IPS Display