Which LCD TV

ride_like_hell

Mohit Verma
well, they aint so pathetic. Let me say, I have recently bought LCD for my parents and I was stunned by the quality of picture. It left an image in my mind that I couldnt stop praising it long after coming back from home.

But thats sure CRT picture quality is also superb considering timely advancements in their own tech. They are getting obsolete just becouse of some obvious reasons (Technology issues, Size, Hazards etc).

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Must have been a rather pathetic set up to be showing such poor quality pictures!
LCD TVs are not THAT bad!
It's just that good CRTs will outdo them anyday!
Good CRTs, which have become defunct in India!

Yogesh,

What content were they showing on those LCD TV? My friend recently got a LG Jazz 32' TV. It's darn good. Have also played PS3 games on it. It looks great onscreen.

Admin01

Administrator
Was supposedly running Dish TV and showing IPL match. I did like the fact that there wasn't much change in color while viewing from side.

ride_like_hell

Mohit Verma
Which one did you buy? I saw couple of Samsung and LG TVs.
It's LG's 32". Dont remember the model. I compared Samsung/Sony/LG and dint take much time to pick LG.

Must have been a rather pathetic set up to be showing such poor quality pictures!
LCD TVs are not THAT bad!
It's just that good CRTs will outdo them anyday!
Good CRTs, which have become defunct in India!
Agree with Anup Sir.

Was supposedly running Dish TV and showing IPL match. I did like the fact that there wasn't much change in color while viewing from side.
I was stunned only after getting Tata Sky connection. :p
And yes, LCD tech has also improved. They dont fade/darken at highly angular views.

Salil

Super Moderator
Staff member
Visited an electronic shop today, was kind of taken aback by the pathetic picture quality of all the LCD TVs which were running there. From pixelization in the background and also to some extent on the player’s faces, to completely fake field color (over saturated and contrasted green color which kind of match the color of lightly colored tennis balls).

Don’t know how people can actually withstand such colors and why do they actually end up spending money on such pathetic displays!
Bump up the Color and contrast parameters in your CRT TV and it'll look somewhat or even worse than what you saw at the show room. Most of the showroom displays run this enhanced setup to impress the public.

Come over to my place if you want to see how a High Definition video would look when played on a Full HD LCD screen.

Admin01

Administrator
Have done that plenty of times, never saw that kind of pathetic display and so much pixelization.

As for running high def videos, do we get high def video through cable?

If not then I will still be skeptical about normal LCD TVs.

Though I have to say, the LCD TV at my friend's house is pretty decent, even while showing cable channel, but then again that thing costed him 72k couple of years back.

MaSh

One has to live with Pixels on LCD TVs, till we have decent HD signal transmission. I am sure, I could be corrected on this, the channels that are broadcast-ed on tata sky, Airtel, etc. are with an aspect ration of 4:3, where as the LCD tvs require an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Hence, all the original DVD prints, HD videos, Nat Geo HD, etc should look flawless. HD signals are coming to India, slowly, with Reliance and Sun TV launching HD broadcast in near future.

IMO, if I were to buy a TV today, I might go in for a 26" CRT and probably upgrade to an LCD in 2-3 years time when HD hopefully would be the norm.

ninad89

Ninad Panchbhai
One has to live with Pixels on LCD TVs, till we have decent HD signal transmission. I am sure, I could be corrected on this, the channels that are broadcast-ed on tata sky, Airtel, etc. are with an aspect ration of 4:3, where as the LCD tvs require an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Hence, all the original DVD prints, HD videos, Nat Geo HD, etc should look flawless. HD signals are coming to India, slowly, with Reliance and Sun TV launching HD broadcast in near future.

IMO, if I were to buy a TV today, I might go in for a 26" CRT and probably upgrade to an LCD in 2-3 years time when HD hopefully would be the norm.
mash u r right hd technology is yet to develop in india.....