Which RO System or Water Purifier to install ?

citymonk

Super User
I am planning to buy home water purifier.
There are so many available from unknown but reasonably priced local brands from 6k to 9k
and similar featured Kent or Aquaguard in range of 19k.

Adding to confusion are below 3k priced gravity water purifiers from big brands like Kent and Pureit.
They too claim to fully purify MCD water supplie in delhi.

Please share your experiences and recommendations.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Unless water supply in your area is quite bad, you do not need RO, in fact it is bad for health.

Whether to go for gravity based water purifier or a UV one depends on the sort of water that you get. I went with gravity based one from Tata Swach, because water supply in our area used to have a lot of dirt. A normal closed water purifier would choke in no time while in case of gravity based one, I can manually clean the initial filter which traps majority of the dirt.

citymonk

Super User
A normal closed water purifier would choke in no time while in case of gravity based one,

Our source is Jal Board too but occasionally it supplies very bad quality water.
Another problem is taste of Jalboard water.
Since last one year I am buying Bislari Jars and taste of it is very satisfactory to kids.

Does your Gravity machine changaes taste of chlorine in water too.

With normal closed water system you mean RO one ?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I had to buy those bisleri jars for 3 years or so, before I switched to gravity based purifier. I hated their taste, since it is bitter than normal water.

As far as fixing chlorine taste goes, if it is a slight taste, these will fix it. If the taste is stronger, then top of the line UV filter from Eureka Forbes or similar company should help. Though the per year AMC of these is more than the cost of gravity based purifiers.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
In our Delhi home, we had an Eureka Forbe's Aquaguard about 12-14 years ago. It worked fine.
But then hard water supply forced us to switch to Kent RO system.
Now from last few years, we are getting Ganga water supply which does not require a RO system. But since it is working fine, we are not buying another filter and continuing with our RO system.

IF you're inclined to pick a RO system, add an inexpensive Pre-Filter to it right from the very first usage. This helps your main membrane of RO system to stay alive and kicking for more than thrice of its usual lifespan. You just need to replace pre-filter candles periodically, which are dirt cheap. I am doing it in my Noida home, and our main membrane survives for over 2 years. This is where others are replacing their same membrane every 6 months! :)

citymonk

Super User
Please do not buy an RO purifier. They waste 6 to 7 times the volume of water that you draw from them!
What do you recommend then to get safe drinking water.
Jal board Water supply does come murky many times nowdays.

Boiling is getting cumbersome and I do not want to continue with those 20 litre Bislari Jars.

Anil_S

If TDS in the water supply is below 200 & water taste is OK, then You only need a UV filter with sedimentation & pre carbon filters. That maintains the minerals in water & UV kills all the bacteria, sedimentation clears the dust & foreign matter and pre carbon filter absorbs the chlorine & improves the taste. (It is normal RO minus membrane & pump).

In case TDS is >200-500 & water taste is also OK, then also my suggestion is to go for a UV filter with sedimentation & pre carbon filters. In case you are not able to handle taste then you can go for a RO with UV filter +sedimentation + pre carbon filters ( Please adjust the TDS to >100 through TDS adjuster).

In case TDS is >500, then go for a RO with UV filter +sedimentation + pre carbon filters ( Please adjust the TDS to >100 through TDS adjuster).

Normally the TDS is >500 is in case ground water is supplied. In municipal water supply TDS has to be below 500 ( above 500 TDS water is not considered to be potable)

Branding is a way to extract more money from consumer's pocket. Any local RO is equally good with good quality filters having good quality plastic.

If you are in Delhi, at Bhagirath palace, you can get a customied water filter made at half the price with good filters & tank(ask him to use Kent or Aqua Guard filters)

In case you use a RO, my suggestion is to collect the reject water in an overhead tank & use is for washing utensils, moping, watering plants etc.

Last edited:

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
In case you use a RO, my suggestion is to collect the reject water in an overhead tank & use is for washing utensils, moping, watering plants etc.
Watering plants with a high TDS is not recommended. Though it's debatable, but at times you may notice a white layer (Salt??) on soil.

And I feel it's not possible to store it in an overhead tank until the RO unit is planted at higher level.
Unit will not be able to push rejected/wasted water to a significant height.

Anil_S

Watering plants with a high TDS is not recommended. Though it's debatable, but at times you may notice a white layer (Salt??) on soil.

And I feel it's not possible to store it in an overhead tank until the RO unit is planted at higher level.
Unit will not be able to push rejected/wasted water to a significant height.
01. The pressure created by RO pump is appox 50 psi & reject water can be stored in an over head tank. In my house I am doing it.

02. No one uses RO water for washing utensils, moping, watering plants . The TDS difference in water supply & reject water is marginal & unnoticeable. It supply water is safe for washing utensils, moping, watering plants, then reject water is equally good having passed through sedimentation & pre carbon filters.

But still its a personal choice. I have seen people using Bisleri after boiling.