Who's awake right now?

adsatinder

explorer
Katarua- a Rare :Wild Truffle, Uttar Pradesh , India

Youth 4 Gandhi Foundation

Published on Jul 19, 2015

SUBSCRIBE 96
Kataruas are a wild fungus/mushroom/truffle found in the terai region of western Uttar Pradesh, India. Each year in the first monsoon rain (July), this wild fungi explodes deep in the earth under the roots of the "Sal Trees" in teh Sal forest of UP. It has to be extracted from there. Its is sold at an expensive rate of 3000-400 INR per kilogram as its a delicacy like in Kashmir there is "Gucchi". The origins of Katarua are unknown, the scientific name is also unknown, my family from Shahjahanpur UP has been eating this since generations - its got a hard cartlege like texture from the outside and inside is a soft pulp center and when you eat it it makes a crunchy sound "katar katar...." that is why it is called " Katarua" . Have a look at the video - its made like any mutton or chicken semi dry dish. If anyone knows anything about it do inform us. [email protected]

adsatinder

explorer
Himalayan Black Truffles

1562613221761.png

Inventory, lb : 0
This item was last sold on : 02/10/19
3 Recipe Ideas

Description/Taste

Black Himalayan truffles have a knotty grainy surface with pyramidal grooves. The surface is appropriately layered with deep earthy colors. The interior is ink black with a marbling of large ivory veins with a chewy, oily and elastic consistency. The flavor and aromatics are both mild, almost indistinct, with most notable flavors reminiscent of earth and wood. Their average size is about the size of a walnut.

Seasons/Availability

Fresh Black Himalayan truffles are harvested during winter months. Frozen Himalayan truffles are available year-round.

Current Facts

The Himalayan truffle, T. indicum, and T. himalayense is also known as the Chinese truffle. Though inferior in aroma, flavor and most notably price, the Himalayan truffle has enough similarities to the Perigord and Italian Black truffle, including color and size, to be misleadingly sold as such. Each year, roughly 28 ton of Himalayan truffles are smuggled into Europe and sold as fresh Perigord and Italian truffles. They are also processed for canning and preserving in oil and labeled "Black Winter Truffles, Product of France" and sold throughout the world. The easiest indicator that these truffles are from China, is if they are listed as T. indicum in the ingredient list. Fresh Himalayan truffle can be distinguished from European truffles by the veins on the flesh of the truffle, a near impossible task, considering they are sold whole. Himalayan truffles lack the discernible taste or enticing perfume of a Perigord but mixed in with Perigords, the Himalayan truffles are camouflaged as they pick up the Perigord's aroma.

Applications

Black Himalayan truffles can withstand heat, making them ideal for adding to cooked cream sauces and tossing with hot pasta. They can be shaved fresh as a finishing element or infused into sauces. The Himalayan truffle is often paired with rich foods such as meat, cheese and eggs. Black Himalayan truffles pair well with lobster, caviar, fois gras, butter, garlic, shallots, light-bodied vinegars, mascarpone, fresh soft and aged hard cheeses, citrus and herbs such as tarragon, basil and arugula. Truffles will keep, dry and tightly wrapped or stored in rice, for approximately seven days.

Geography/History

Himalayan truffles grow predominantly near and under pine trees and other conifer trees in high p-H clay soils. The truffles begin fruiting when the host plants are at least 10 years old up to 40 years old. The formation of brules (burnt ground) also create productive growing conditions. Chinesse farmers used to use truffles as pig fodder until they discovered the culinary value of truffles. Unfortunately, this discovery has also led to the deterioration of truffle production, cultivation and harvesting. Truffle hunters in China do not use dogs to find truffles, rather they rake the soil and dig with abandon, destroying mycelium. Immature truffles that lack flavor and aroma are pulled and sold with mature truffles, decreasing the value of the overall crop.

Recipe Ideas

Recipes that include Himalayan Black Truffles. One
is easiest, three is harder.

Himalayan Black Truffles

adsatinder

explorer
Friday, July 29, 2016
wild mushrooms | Katarua or Indian truffles | subzi and biryani recipes using Katarua

Last month I was lucky to get hold of some wild mushrooms brought by my brother. He was driving from Lakhimpur and I had requested him to bring some of these foraged wild foods.

I had tasted several varieties of wild mushrooms during our days in Dhanbad, my maid who belonged to Munda tribe had introduced me to many of these wild foods, and the memory of those freshly foraged wild mushrooms sometimes makes me crave for them. Especially during the rainy season as I am reminded of how the local haats (vegetable markets) will have at least 3-4 mushroom sellers during this season.

Sometimes my maid would bring a fistful of Termite mushrooms that she had found on her way to my home in the morning, the fresh aroma of those mushrooms is unforgettable. She would always tell me these can be eaten raw as well but I never tried that, blame it to my urban sense of hygiene.

So when two bundles of wild mushrooms arrived one day wrapped in newspaper, the way the foragers sell these, I opened the bundles instantly to see what were those. One of them was this wild mushroom called as 'Dharti ka phool' and had a pleasant smell to it.

The other one was so stinky I felt a bit hesitant to cook with it. A similar looking wild mushroom called Rugda from Jharkhand was not smelly at all as much as I remember. Or was it my help who used to clean it? But the big question was I had to clean it all by myself this time.

wild mushrooms Katarua
This pebble like wild mushroom is known as Katarua in Lakhimpur and as Phutphut in Dehradun I got to know. Covered in layers of black mud these had to be rinsed repeatedly to clean.

Katarua or Phutphut is identified as Astraeus hygrometricus (source) which grows mostly around Sal trees and erupts in rainy season every year.

After a good wash the Katarua looks like this. These are Indian truffles, closely related to other truffles of the world and very flavourful.

wild mushrooms Katarua
These have a cartilaginous cover and a pulpy center and need to be halved for cooking into curries. I decided to pressure cook first because the stinky mud had made me sick. Some great foods test your patience truly.

After pressure cooking for about 10 minutes (after one whistle) the Kataura mushrooms were cooled down, chopped into halves and curried. The taste was so good it makes me crave for it now. Very meaty taste, cartilaginous capsule and soft egg yolk like center.

I cooked it with potatoes once as it flavours anything that is cooked with it.

wild mushrooms Katarua ki subzi
The recipe is not much different for this spicy curry as I followed the bhuna masala method, where the masala is prepared first and then the mushrooms are simmered with the bhuna masala and some water for about 10 minutes. Note that the Katarua has already been pressure cooked. It takes well to prolonged cooking as the cartilage like outer cover is quite hard.

Next time I kept the gravy a little thin as I love the way the soupy curry carries the flavours.This one we polished off with sourdough kulchas.

And then I made biryani with the Katarua wild mushrooms because I thought the rice grains will take to it's flavour really well. The biryani really proved to be worthy of all the effort. Unfortunately I was trying out an organic rice that was sent to me by a farmer and it turned out to be too mushy for biryani but the taste was great.

wild mushrooms Katarua ki biryani
To make the Katarua biryani, follow the steps as suggested below.

It is not a true biryani but something that will make you think positively about vegetarian biryanis trust me.

1. Make the curry with bhuna masala like above.
2. Boil basmati rice with plenty of water, few tejpatta leaves and few peppercorns. Cook the rice only till the rice is half done. Drain the water and reserve rice, rinse with chilled water briefly.
3. Now layer the Katarua subzi and half cooked rice in a thick bottomed handi. Pour the gravy over it and some additional water, some mint leaves (optional) and a tbsp of ghee. The water used at this step has to be enough to cook the rice while on 'dum'.
4. Cover the handi and cook on 'dum'. Keep a tick griddle below the handi and let it cook slowly on low heat for 25 minutes. This is how 'dum' cooking results into aromatic biryani.
5. Serve the biryani as soon as the dum cooking is over.

We normally serve raita and salad with biryanis but since it was the rare flavour of Katarua we decided to make a plain kachumber of tomatoes and onions. It was such a delectable meal to remember.

Next time I get hold of these wild mushrooms called as Katarua, I am going to experiment some more and see if it pairs well with the western recipes.

wild mushrooms | Katarua or Indian truffles | subzi and biryani recipes using Katarua

adsatinder

explorer
#दुनिया में सबसे #खतरनाक फल की सब्जी#put putaजरूर देखें share

Herbag world hindi

Published on Jul 3, 2017

SUBSCRIBE 85K
यह मध्य प्रदेश के अलावा पता नहीं है और भी जगह मिलता होगा कि नहीं अगर आप कोई वीडियो अच्छी लगे लाइक शेयर कमेंट करें हमें बताएं यह भारत की कौन कौन से हिस्से में मिलता है ताकि हमें पता चल सके

adsatinder

explorer
Katarua

Save

Katarua कटरुआ

Katarua

Inside Katarua there is white pulp and black pulp

Katarua is a wild mushroom which is A truffle is the fruiting body of a subterranean Ascomycete fungus, predominantly one of the many species of the genus Tuber. Truffles are ectomycorrhizal fungi and are therefore usually found in close association with tree roots. With the onset of monsoon, a large number of villagers living around forest start collecting katarua buds from saal tree root buds. Scientific name of saal tree is Shorea robusta, also known as śāl, sakhua or shala tree, is a species of tree belonging to the Dipterocarpaceae family.

Katarua harvested in roots of sal tree

Common name in different Territory of india

Description
This one is looks like black and white pebble ,It comes in wild mushroom is known as Katarua as a common name in Uttar Pradesh State of INDIA. It Covered in layers of black mud these had to be rinsed repeatedly to clean.These have a cartilaginous cover and a white ,black pulpy center like egg yolk. Katarua is identified as Astraeus hygrometricus which grows mostly around Sal trees and erupts in rainy season every year. These are Indian truffles, closely related to other truffles of the world and very flavourful.
References
[1] on Mon, 29 Jun 2015
  1. कटरुआ की पहली फसल बिका हजार रुपये किलो

Controversies
[1] on Mon, 09 July 2018
  1. कटरुआ की पहली फसल बिका हजार रुपये किलो

[1] Three People Arrested on Mon, 09 July 2018
  1. कटरुआ पकड़ो अभियान में धरे गए तीन लोग

"Katarua" on Revolvy.com

adsatinder

explorer
CALANGUTE BEACH
Goa Traffic Police Loot

Neeraj Ghogare

Published on Mar 18, 2019

SUBSCRIBE 117
Goa के Calangut मैं यह दोनो ट्रैफिक पुलिस वाले बिना मतलब मैं टूरिस्ट्स को परेशान करते है यह गाड़ी पर टैक्सी वाली पीली नम्बर प्लेट देखकर यह बिना फालतू का चालान बनाते है। हमारे पास ड्राइविंग लाईसेंस हेलमेट सभी पेपर्स होने के बाद भी हमारा 600 रूपये का चालान बनाया गया। लोकल नॉर्मल सफेद वाली नंबर प्लेट वाली गाड़ी को बिना हेलमेट भी नही रोका जाता । यह हाल है गोआ ट्रैफिक पुलिस के ।इसी ट्रैफिक पुलिस की लूट के कारण गोआ मैं टूरिस्टों का जाना कम होता जा रहा है।

Reaction:
Police are really harassing local tourist and trying to get money to fill their pockets shame on goa police.

adsatinder

explorer
Soaps of India !

Code:
In India almost all the Soap manufacturers are playing 
a Bad business tactic and I am sure very few people 
would be knowing this.
But before raising the curtain i will discuss certain technicalities.
Bureau of India Standards categorises soaps into two types.

1. Toilet soap
2. Bathing Soap

In India we generally use these terms interchangeably
thereby leaving almost no significant difference between the two.
The bathing bars are nothing but entry level soaps 
while toilet soaps are categorized into 3 grades on basis of 
their Total Fatty Matter (TFM) values.

According to BIS,

Grade 1: Soaps should have 76% minimum TFM-
This a high grade, soap and possess best
cleaning and lathering properties.

Grade 2: Soaps should have 70% minimum TFM -
This possess good cleaning and lathering properties,
but has lower cleansing capacity than Grade 1 Soap.

Grade 3: 60 % minimum TFM-
This category of soap shall possess lowest
(Among all the tree grades of soaps)
cleaning and lathering properties respectively.

Simply put together, higher the TFM of soap,
better is its cleansing ability.
Also higher TFM means soap is gentle on the skin
(does not cause dryness on skin) and
lower grade soaps are harsh on the skin..
Today I went to the grocery store for buying
Soap bars, and was surprised to find that only
two manufacturers are selling Grade 1 Toilet soaps and
remaining were either selling Grade 2 or Grade 3 soaps.
Moreover the Grade 1 Soaps are cheaper as compare to
sub quality Grade 2 or Grade 3 soaps, may be due to
better marketing of these lower quality soaps.
Lets have a look
SOAP No. 1

This soap is selling at Rs 20 for 100 Grams but it is Grade 2 Soap having TFM 70 % only.
SOAP No. 2

This soap is selling at Rs 40 for 125 Grams but it is Grade 3 Soap having TFM 60 % only.
SOAP No. 3

This one is selling at Rs 18 for 100 Grams and it is Grade 1 Soap having TFM 76 % only.
SOAP No. 4

This again is the Grade 1 (76 % TFM) Soap selling at only Rs 23 for 100 Grams.

Code:
Let me summarise my findings

For Soap No 1 (Grade 2 TFM 70 % ) In 1 Re we get 5 Grams of Soap

For Soap No 2 (Grade 3 TFM 60 % ) In 1 Re we get 3.125 Grams of Soap

For Soap No 3 (Grade 1 TFM 76 % ) In 1 Re we get 5.55 Grams of Soap

For Soap No 4 (Grade 1 TFM 76 % ) In 1 Re we get 4.34 Grams of Soap

It is crystal clear from here that Soap No. 3 and 4 are of better quality
and still not expensive.
Most of Grade 2 and Grade 3 soap producers are charging you,
the rates of Grade 1 and still giving you an Inferior product.

Now let us understand how Grade 2 & 3 Soap producers
befool their consumers;

First all manufactures are not showing TFM,
some are hiding this information also (Oil cake manufacturers).

Second manufacturers who are producing grade 2 or 3
are showing their TFM on wrapper in such a font size
that one can not easily catch, they deliberately mention
it in small fonts so that oversight is bound to occur.
(Same can be seen in first two pics of soaps I have posted)
and the last two soaps are flaunting their TFM percentage..

Third Grade 2 & 3 manufacturers are charging you the
same prices which other manufacturers are charging for
their grade 1 soap. In fact many times more than the price
of grade 1 soaps also.

Fourth grade 2 &3 manufacturers never aware their
customers about TFM which actually is very important
in finding the quality of soap. Lower TFM soaps sucks
up the moisture from the skin, so in principle it must
be assured by the manufacturers that they aware their
consumers of using low TFM soaps.

So next time you go to the grocery store
never buy the soap which you see most in
Advertisements. TFM(Total fatty Matter) must be
checked before buying any soap as it is determinant
of the quality of soap.

Be wise and make a careful choice for yourself
with TFM value not less than 76%.

Code:
https://www.quora.com/What-dirty-business-tactics-do-you-know/answer/Pravesh-Khatri-3?ch=3&share=ea96270f&srid=uLIe5

Last edited: