Will there be any more scenic drives left?

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by Theloststory, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Theloststory

Theloststory Active Member

Over the last 15-17 years, as I drive on the highways of India, I see the once scenic drives being rapidly lost to construction, factories, deforestation, billboards what not.

See this image of the road from Ghoti to Bhadardara (shot around 2008).

Ghoti-Bhandara.jpg

And somewhere along the same road, in 2018.

bhandardara2.JPG

SHEKHAR 257 and Divyang like this.
  2. Theloststory

The Mumbai Pune Expressway, often glamourised as a beautiful drive, is full of traffic and often, huge jams.

See this image from around 2003, clean wide empty roads, farming on either side... img085.jpg

And this one from around 2017-2018 Lonavala (same highway) where the scenic views are blocked by billboards touting second homes. third homes, invest homes, and god knows what. Lonavala.jpg

uturn, SHEKHAR 257 and Divyang like this.
  3. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Scenic drives are rarely along the national highways or expressways, they are on the country roads and state highways.

ankitsr and Divyang like this.
  4. Theloststory

This is an old photo from around 2006, the drove from Alibaug to Murud Janjira. I used to be able to drive the entire stretch next to the sea, looking at the waters, the waves...
    Murud-Janjira.jpg

Now the same stretch is so full of private bungalows that the sea view is barely left anymore.

Divyang and Yogesh Sarkar like this.
  5. Theloststory

@Yogesh Sarkar The Ghoti to Bhandardara stretch used to be one of the 'inside roads'. The Alibaug to Murud Janjira drive has always been one of the inside less used roads.

The NH3 Mumbai to Nashik Highway used to have paddy fields on either side, closer to Nashik. Now only factories exist. Every year, I find fewer trees, and more construction on all my once beautiful drives.

Divyang and Yogesh Sarkar like this.
  6. Theloststory

Compare this to the drive from Paris to Lucerne. It's a big highway, connects France with Switzerland (two powerhouse economies) carries tonnes of traffic, yet look at the scenic beauty.
    DriveToLucerne01.jpg DriveToLucerne02.jpg DriveToLucerne03.jpg

SHEKHAR 257 and Divyang like this.
  7. Theloststory

I had heard from a lot of people the Tungabhadra Right Canal drive (along a kutchcha road) was a fantastic opportunity to spot plenty of resident wildlife. I have read that in books. I have seen photos. I took the drive this year, it was a catastrophe. The entire stretch of over 12 km was under widening construction, heavy equipment, barely any tree cover, and no wildlife whatsoever.

Divyang likes this.
  8. Theloststory

Witness this. One drive along the interiors towards North Maharashtra. Once a gorgeous dry deciduous forest area.
    The trees on this hill have been chopped away. The grass eaten up by livestock. What remains is an eroded hill with the invasive Prosopis Juliflora. (You can perhaps also see how some of the soil has been excavated away).

DSCF7849.jpg

Further ahead, charred lands (the soils are repeatedly burnt every dry season so no greenery or bio-diversity survives). You can see residual smoke in the distance. What you cannot see is grass, trees.
    DSCF7864.jpg

Divyang and uturn like this.
  9. Theloststory

I have driven roughly 70,000 km along highways and roads of India, travelling, working, photographing. And I can clearly see how once beautiful drives are being lost. Will our desire to go for a drive soon be left to talking circles along urban flyovers?

Divyang likes this.
  10. Alpha

Alpha Going to Neverland

its nothing but bane of unregulated development, population explosion and corruption.