Winter Spiti in Dec-Jan 2018/19

taps_567

Hello Friends,

I am planning for a winter trip to Spiti this year around Christmas and New Year. We will be travelling from Vadodara (Gujarat) to Kaza. We are a group of four friends, who all can drive. Since we have planned deliberately this trip during winters, we do expect heavy snow and challenging road conditions. I have been preparing for this trip on the lines of Ladakh winter travel guide available on BCMT website here on some extent. Can I get help on following few questions which I am struggling to get details on,

1. I will be taking Vadodara-Udaipur-Chittaurgarh-Bhilwara-Ajmer-Jaipur-Rewari-Jhajjar-Sonipat-Chandigarh road initially. However, I expect very dense fog in North Raj, Haryana and area around Delhi. Any suggestion to cover these areas during the specific time (e.g. afternoon or evening) to avoid the heavy fog and maintain a smooth ride?
  2. I have learned from various threads and posts here that stretch from Parwanoo to Solan is quite bad. Is there any way I can bypass it or avoid the traffic?
  3. I have been planning to take Kandaghat-Sadhupul-Chail-Kufri road but learned that the new bridge was again badly damaged during this monsoon and temporarily closed. Is it still in working condition?
  4. Any other general tips or suggestions from experienced fellas who have done winter Spiti earlier?
as far as ride is concerned, I will be driving Vitara Brezza for this trip, which can be equipped with snow chains on all four tires (if required).