Yamaha FZ 25 ownership reviews & experiences

ankit.traveller

lonely wanderer.......
Hi friends,
Before starting review of new Yamaha FZ25 I would like to tell you that this is my first Yamaha. Previously I owned Suzuki fiero- 5 years, Honda Unicorn- 7 years, Hero Karizma R (old one)- 3.5 years. I am typically a tourer or you can say a "mountain tourer" and started motorcycle touring since 2010. I generally do not cross 110kmph on motorcycle.

Why Fz25- My last companion zma served me decently but not as expected, even I did numerous tours on zma including last year Ladakh ride without any major issues but zma was not built for high altitude riding due to which I had to alter the carburetor main jet with wire and that riding 4000kms with lean mixture ruined the engine. Last month itself I sold my zma on olx @34k.

Now I wanted a bike under 1.5 lac (max budget) which should be more than 200cc, comfortable, fuel injected (no more high altitude sickness i want in my next ladakh and spiti ride), torquey, DIY friendly, no loud exhaust, good handling, mielage should not less than 30kmpl, descent tank range. So I shortlisted and rejected these bikes which I can afford-

1. Apache Rtr 200- rejected due to no fi and loud exhaust

2. Pulsar RS 200- very complicated bike , looks good for smooth road.

3. DUKE 200- uncomfortable on uneven road, low tank range

4. Dominar 400- in my budget without abs

5. RE thunderbird/ cl 350- No fi, crappy suspension, unreliable, very poor brakes, huge vibrations above 80kmph.

6. Pulsar 200 NS- again very complicated design, no fi.

7. Yamaha R15 S- poor low end torque, painful riding position.

Then in feb 2017, Yamaha all of sudden launched fz250 at very attractive price, I watched whole launch event live. My heart said buddy this is the bike you are looking for. Then I started watching reviews online and youtube and found that 90% are positive reviews and fz25 engine is tried and tested one in brazil for past 10 years, though some modifications has been done to match Indian condition.

In lucknow city fz25 arrived in second week of April and I immediately rushed gor test drive. First showroom guys were refusing to test drive but after calling yamaha toll free number I was offered TD by 2 different showrooms. I did test ride of 3-4 km each 2 times in separate showroom. First impression I got is very premium build quality, impressive torque in each gear, comfort at par with karizma. I felt connected with bike as per my imagination and requirements and booked the black color on 20th April and got it delivered on 28th April. Showroom experience was hassle free,

On road cost is 1.40 lacs including zero dep insurance, RTO, Hypo, leg guard, ladies footrest. Rest price of all other accessories like RVM, side stand, saree guard, main stand are included in cost. Company warranty is 2 years or 30000 kms, extended warranty can be purchased @ 880/- within 3 months of purchase. As everyone can view specs on website, i will point out few things which are not mentioned in website-

Instrument cluster- speedo, odo, 2 tripmeter, 2 fuel average meter, rpm meter, clock, engine check light, high beam and turn signal light, fuel bar with reserve meter, self diagnosis mode which display error code.

Headlight- all led , 2 for low beam and all 3 led glow for high beam.

-Only 1 fuse of 15Amp in whole bike.

- Front brake are of Bybre and rear one of Nissin

- Battery is Exide VRLA 6AH

- Tyres are of MRF zapper make

- Except turn signals indicators all other lights are LED.

- Drive chain is of O ring type.

- Engine is 249cc, closed loop fi, 21bhp/20NM air cooled + engine oil is cooled by oil cooler

Now in last 3 days I have ridden close to 400kms so I am sharing pros and cons as per my observations-

Pros

1. Quality of each and every part is top notch. Fit and finish is near to perfect. Nothing to complain till now.

2. Torque is furious in each gear. I felt similiar or little bit more than Dominar 400.

3. Even in run in period its giving mielage of 40+.

4. Riding position is spot on for long rides.

5. No excessive engine heat being a single cylinder 250cc and even without liquid cooling.

6. Handling of bike is just perfect, I can confidently throw the bike instantaneously anywhere.

7. Suspension is balanced, niether too soft nor too hard.

8. Exhaust note is bassy but not loud.

9. Though looks are subjective but I regularly see girls and young boys turning head to my steed

Cons

Head light beam throw is useless and dangerous to ride in night above 40kmph, I cant see anything above besides few feet of road. This is serious flaw which Yamaha have to provide a solution.

2. Seat cushion is bit harder to butt, have to put foam cover later.

3. Brakes are on softer side, lets see if bite improve after some kms and use.

4. Vibrations creeping on footrest exactly at 4200 rpm, after that settles down.

5. Continous tick tick sound from engine head in any rpm, SC saying its tappet sound as by default tappet kept loose by factory due to summer season heat. They will adjust at 500km.

6. Due to no wind shield/ visor, riding in head on high winds is little tiring. (Zma pamper)

To sum it up I would say this is not the machine for power in top end crazy guys. This is no nonsense bike which you can use for daily commuting as well as touring. I can change myself its engine oil, air filter, spark plug, lubricate the chain and what not, its the only bike in segment which has center stand. Though there is enough torque to teach a hooligan or squid a lesson.

Attaching here some pics and I will continue to update my experiences of fz25 in this thread.

20170429_114542.jpg
20170501_184459.jpg
20170429_114519.jpg
20170501_191518.jpg
20170428_192617.jpg
20170501_191419.jpg

20170429_114542.jpg
20170501_184459.jpg
20170429_114519.jpg
20170501_191518.jpg
20170428_192617.jpg
20170501_191419.jpg
20170421_174423.jpg
20170421_174414.jpg
20170421_174506.jpg
20170421_174433.jpg

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
@ankit.traveller \\:D/\\:D/:partyman:=D>=D> congrats brother nice start. Bike looks killer in black and i am happy u didn't pick the in vogue white, too much white on the road these days.
I have also heard about the tappet noise from few others and it was there in r15 too so don't worry.
For better and more gripper rubber option u can use mrf massater it has better cornering ability due to its profile and more grip.
How are the breaks.
And one more thing u can adjust the headlight beam length i have seen that on xbhp.
And what is the oil grade mineral or semi or full synthetic.
Congrats once again.

ankit.traveller

lonely wanderer.......
@ankit.traveller \\:D/\\:D/:partyman:=D>=D> congrats brother nice start. Bike looks killer in black and i am happy u didn't pick the in vogue white, too much white on the road these days.
I have also heard about the tappet noise from few others and it was there in r15 too so don't worry.
For better and more gripper rubber option u can use mrf massater it has better cornering ability due to its profile and more grip.
How are the breaks.
And one more thing u can adjust the headlight beam length i have seen that on xbhp.
And what is the oil grade mineral or semi or full synthetic.
Congrats once again.
Thanks a lot IJS bhai...I was going for white only but at last moment it was wifey decision for black.
I tried to adjust the beam myself but after riding few kms it came back to previous position, even on max adjustment beam throw is poor.
Brakes are good, though little soft feeling may be due to new.
Engine oil grade is mineral.