Yamunotri Dham on Dipawali

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Day 1 - Delhi to Barkot, Uttarakhand

Diwali was fast approaching. We had three days Diwali weekend. Hardly three weeks had passed after my grueling Sach Pass road trip. (Sach Pass travelogue will follow after this trip report). Last year after celebrating Diwali, I had left for Sankri for a four day solo road trip. This time I was in a mood to celebrate Diwali at home and rest.

Manish, my colleague and travel mate too had visited Badrinath while I was on Sach Pass journey.

He proposed to cover Yamunotri on the three days Diwali leaves. With this trip he would have covered all Chota Char Dhaam. Only Yamunotri was left. He has earlier covered Gangotri and Badrinath with me.

He was not happy that my previous two road trips were without him. He extracted a promise out of me to join for this road trip.

We extended the trip by adding one more day. Hence the proposed road trip was to happen from 26th October to 29th October 2019. We planned to take it easy on this trips as our previous trips were very taxing both on bodies and on the vehicle.

We approached out third partner Nitin Thapa to accompany us. But he chose to celebrate Diwali with his family.

Finally two of us left for Yamunotri on the morning of 26th October 2019.

We chose the Karnal – Yamuna Nagar – Paonta Sahib route – Barkot route over the Dehradun – Mussoorie road.

Traffic was little heavy and slow on the NH1 in the morning partly due to the ongoing road widening works. We stopped at Mayur Dhaba, Karnal for breakfast. Then took a U turn for Indri-Ladwa. Again the Indri-Ladwa section was undergoing construction due to conversion into four lanes from the existing two lane road. But hardly any traffic on this section meant we zipped passed through this stretch. We further bypassed Yamuna Nagar and Jagadhari by taking bye pass roads saving a lots of hassles.

slow start to the day
1.jpg

Break for break-fast
2.jpg

3.jpg

While crossing Paonta Sahib, we saw shops selling fire crackers. We stopped and bought some fireworks to celebrate Diwali. We bought one box of 30 aerial shots and two big anaars and left.

Patakhe hi patakhe at Paonta Sahib
4.jpg

5.jpg

Manish with the merchandise
6.jpg

patakhon ke baad puchka
7.jpg

Crossing over to Uttarakhand - Yamuna River at Paonta Sahib
8.jpg

heading towards Dehradun
9.jpg

We faced next bit of traffic only at Vikas Nagar as the road side market was full of shoppers on account of Diwali festivities.

Vikas Nagar market
10.jpg

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Just before Kalsi, we took Vikas Nagar – Badkot road and drove besides Yamuna River till we reached Yamuna Pul and crossed over to Mussoorie-Badkot road.

a small waterfall on the Vikas Nagar - Badkot road
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

another bigger waterfall on the Yamuna Nagar - Badkot road
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

After crossing over the Yamuna Bridge, we stopped at a road side dhaba neat the cut for Tathyur for a late lunch. The simple food was good and we stuffed ourselves to the brim.

we had lunch at this juncture
18.jpg

simple yet sumptuous lunch
19.jpg

It was already 4.00 pm and we were still 105 kms away from Janki Chatti. We decided to break journey at Barkot which was 60 kms further from this place. It took us about two hours to reach Barkot. However we got stuck in a traffic mess at the Barkot market. It took 20 odd minutes to clear. We searched for a nice place to stay and went into GMVN Guest house but we were not comfortable in paying high room rents there. Our search ended at Hotel Ashiyana on Barkot-Dharasu Bend road also known as Gangotri road. The hotel was newly renovated and rooms were good and spacious. Moreover, it was a steal for Rs.600 for a room. Only issue was non-availability of staff. The owner himself prepared simple meal and served us. The weather was cozy and we slept off as soon as we hit the comfortable and warm bed.

our abode for two nights
20.jpg

21.jpg

our comfy bed
22.jpg

mousourik

Who Am I
As per my humble knowledge, phuchkas are used to drowse the fire in the belly; but here i find that they were used as firecrackers along with anaars (Tubri?). :-o

And phuchka is a term used in Bengal. Now it's being used by north Indians as well. Another example of : what Bengal thought day before yesterday rest of India think today. :p

skysat2005

Super User
...............................................................................................................
And phuchka is a term used in Bengal. Now it's being used by north Indians as well. Another example of : what Bengal thought day before yesterday rest of India think today. :p
It is still called as Gol Gappa or Pani Poori...

Alpha

Going to Neverland
both the patakha and paani of phuchka contains dangerous masala.. thoda jyada ho jaye to aag lag jaati hai :p

As per my humble knowledge, phuchkas are used to drowse the fire in the belly; but here i find that they were used as firecrackers along with anaars (Tubri?). :-o

It is still called as Gol Gappa or Pani Poori...
dada..i used the term Phuchka since it rhymed well with patakha :D
moreover, in Bihar too we call it Phuchka.. i think we also call it gup chup at some places

adsatinder

explorer
both the patakha and paani of phuchka contains dangerous masala.. thoda jyada ho jaye to aag lag jaati hai

dada..i used the term Phuchka since it rhymed well with patakha :D
moreover, in Bihar too we call it Phuchka.. i think we also call it gup chup at some places
Gup Chup

Is good for ........ !

You are right !
What you are thinking is perfectly Right...

LOL !

In Jharkhand they say Gup Chup.