Your Computer Configuration

sabby

O_o
Require help with buliding a assembled computer for my friend.
Request some help with the possbile best configuration in the 30,000 INR budget range

deepak_on

Torrid Rider
Best configuration for you would be:

Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo Processor 1.8GHz

Intel D965 Motherboard with compatible chipset

1GB DDR2 RAM (KINGSTON OR TRANSCEND)

160 GB HDD (Preferably Seagate)

ATX Cabinet (UMAX OR ANY OTHER BRANDED ONE)

SONY DVDRW

SAMSUNG 15" TFT Monitor (17" if budget allows)

Creative 4.1 Inspire speakers

Microsoft USB Mouse or you can opt for Laser one from HP or Microsoft

APC UPS 600 or 800 VA (According to the remaining budget)

Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard or for a better typing experience go for TVS GOLD

From my calculations it should cost you around Rs. 30,000

sabby

O_o
Deepak, appreciate your help regarding the configuration.

Should be getting the required hardware by this weekend, thanks for pointing out a UPS purchase (forgot to consider one), point noted. : )

anupamkansal

few small upgradation I would like to suggest:

Buy a single 2GB DDR2 RAM module. Reason: u will have most probably 2 slots on the MoBo, Vista needs around 2GB to run the Aero Experience :) and in future when u r palnning to max out ur RAM at 4GB, u wont be limited by a single 1 gb module that u will need to replace. The cost diff is also not much, I think a 2GB module is around 2.5K max.

500 GB HDD (Preferably Seagate) Cost is around 5K ... u always need more HDD space for movies, muzik and games.

ATX Cabinet (UMAX OR ANY OTHER BRANDED ONE) : buy one with a power supply rated at min 450 W .... this will avoid the woes another of our brethren is facing on the forum

22" monitor is for 12.7K .... if u wish to watch movies and play games :-D and have xtra cash

I would suggest Altech Lansing 2.1 (2.6K) as they are pretty good. 4.1 speakers are not much use, if u keep them together. Wiring ur room is a big hassle for surround sound (i have Hyundai 5.1 and they are stacked on my desk :) and if u want to take that much hassle, buy 5.1 speakers.

APC UPS 600 or 800 VA (According to the remaining budget)

I have a cordless KB & Mouse kit from Microsoft that cost INR 1300 , good for casual work and normal gaming. For hardcore gamer (precession counterstrike): wired laser mouse with at least 1600 DPI resolution is a good buy .. cost no idea :p

Try Cost to Cost computers on First floor , building on your right when u r standing with your back to sona sweets in Nehru Place. Good stuff, good prices :)

Admin01

Administrator
No way it's going to cost so much, I had upgraded my computer a while back, will post the costs by tonight.

Admin01

Administrator
My older desktop had a few updates in the last few months and today I bought a netbook.

Desktop:

Intel Core2Duo E4500, 2.2GHZ
Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2
Transcend 2x1GB 667MHZ DDR2 RAM
Hitachi 160GB SATA2
Seagate 80GB IDE (backup drive)
LG 22x DVD Writer
Cooler Master Extreme Power 460w power supply
Zebronics Bijli cabinet
Logitech Multimedia keyboard and optical mouse
Creative inspire 2500 speakers
Techcom SDHC card reader
600VA Luminous Prima UPS
17" LG 700E CRT monitor

Netbook:

Asus 900HA
Intel Atom N270 1.6GHZ
1 GB 667MHZ DDR2 RAM
160GB SATA HDD
8.9” LCD screen
0.3mp webcam
WLAN: 802.11 b/g
3USB, 1VGA out, audio in/out and SDHC card reader
5200MAH battery (lasts around 4 hours without wifi)

adv.sunny

the touring Seikh
Intel P III machine with 128MB RAM and 20GB HDD with a 15" CRT monitor

but upgraded a week ago

into

Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor 2.8GHz

Intel D965 Motherboard

2GB DDR2 RAM (TRANSCEND)

1 TB HDD (Baracuda)

ASUS DVD R/W

LG 18.1" TFT Monitor

Creative 4.1 Inspire speakers

Optical mouse (Techcom)

UPS 800 VA (Microtek)

Keyboard (TVS Champ)

codelust

Shyam
Looks like I am the only one who has succumbed to Steve Jobs' reality distortion field on BCMT.

Till Dec08 I had a 15" Macbook Pro with 2G of RAM, but downgraded to a white 13" Macbook after I quit my regular job and took to the highways and hills. Both Macs have travelled a lot with me (the MBP on flights and the DEL-MUM-BLR-TVM circuits and the MB on the highways and hills), both have done quite well. If you can gulp down the Apple Tax and pay the premium, always go for an Apple, at least on laptops. I don't like the iPods, though.

Specs:

13" screen.
4 GB RAM
120 GB HDD
Apple Wired External Keyboard
HP Seahorse Optical Mouse
El Cheapo Laptop Stand
Altec Lansing ATP3 2.1 Speakers
Maxtor 500GB external HDD

Connectivity:
Tata Indicom Wimax
Tata Indicom Plug2Surf
Airtel GPRS, tethered via Nokia E71

p.s: The Linksys on the left is a freshly bricked unit. If anyone needs it for ornamental purposes, do let me know ;-)

Attachments

codelust

Shyam
Ever thought about buying Macbook air? That is one Mac I would love to own someday.
Quite a few times, in fact. But the price point is way too steep for my liking and I would not want one without the SSD in it, which would make it even more expensive.

You can pick up a Mac on the cheap when the product line goes in for a major overhaul. I'd picked up this MB when the new unibody ones had been announced and managed to find a dealer who had the previous one and he was willing to sell it to me for 50K, taxes included.

With the RAM upgrade to 4G (standard DDR2, cost me about 4K INR), the battery life is well over 4 hours for me, which means the incentive in going the Air route is really not all that great. Besides, I am not kitting out my car with the 12v plugs, which means I can get it charged in the car too.

But seriously, save up and go for it. Once you get used to OS X, it stays out of your way and almost never crashes (18+ days uptime now, record is close to 90 days).