Zanskar & Beyond. 14 Himalayan Passes. 15 - 31 Aug 2021

rameshtahlan

Super User
Sir i guess it was an alturas, driven by a couple,i saw a video on youtube with similar description as yours.

Sorry i may be wrong but that vehicle was beyond repair.

Keep those pics coming sir the interesting part is about to come now....

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Moral of the story,
dont do the climb to Shingo La from Padum side in Mahindras.

Robert

Wow, that is just awesome. What a trip. You captured all those moments beautifully. Fully enjoyed the detailed account of your journey so far. What I understand is that right now it's not possible to do this route in any 4x2.

rameshtahlan

Super User
Wow, that is just awesome. What a trip. You captured all those moments beautifully. Fully enjoyed the detailed account of your journey so far. What I understand is that right now it's not possible to do this route in any 4x2.
The only problem is if you plan to go from Padum to Shingo La, you definitely need a 4x4 to go up Shingo La.
Otherwise, not a problem if you go via Srinagar, and from Kargil go to Padum, and then to Photoksar, and go back the same route till Kargil, then head to Leh, etc etc and return via Manali. It can be done in a 4x2.
Just make sure the tyres are good, and engine is healthy.

OR

Go from Manali side to Shingo La, and follow the route we took.

Ladakh Road Map copy.jpg

dichkaun

I see that Night 4, 6 & 7 are in Padum and Night 5 in Photoskar. Looks like you came back to Padum after SirsirLa. Any reason for that other than cover the passes on Padum - Kargil - Leh route?

amitjatt

The final ascent to shinko la from Zanskar side is steep,narrow and tight turns which really take a toll on your vehicle especially long wheel base one and as sir said that in ascent 4*4 is definitely advised.

rameshtahlan

Super User
I see that Night 4, 6 & 7 are in Padum and Night 5 in Photoskar. Looks like you came back to Padum after SirsirLa. Any reason for that other than cover the passes on Padum - Kargil - Leh route?
after night in Photoksar,
it is better to spend another night in Padum,
it helps to get the vehicles checked up,
and repair any damage etc.
Also it helps get some rest as we still have a very long way ahead.
Idea was not just to drive sleep, drive sleep.
the time on road is as important to really enjoy a trip like this.

rameshtahlan

Super User
The final ascent to shinko la from Zanskar side is steep,narrow and tight turns which really take a toll on your vehicle especially long wheel base one and as sir said that in ascent 4*4 is definitely advised.

the last vehicle was the Fortuner,
it had not problems of the tight descending U bends,
and there were 2 girls driving it.

But yes, if you have to go up this same side.
it better be a 4x4,
and even for a Fortuner, would not be a problem,
it is twice as powerful as the Thar.