Zero Bhp on The Tribal Belt of Himanchal - Kinnaur and Lahaul-Spiti

Hellrider

Stop Global Warning
Next Update
Day 3 - Rekong Peo - Pooh

Started around 9 am from Rekong Peo . The road right under Rekong Peo was under development (in September 2017).
Had to stop at a check post in between. The road is mostly undulating with beautiful vistas and you feel like stopping everywhere to take pictures.

When you are ready to RIDE DOWHILL
DSCN0076.JPG

The overhanging stone sections after Rekong Peo
DSCN0080.JPG

The bridge where valley narrows and river flows at full speed. Rivers are so noisy.. but I love the sound.
DSCN0085.JPG

Taking every opportunity to stop and take photos... Sometime people looked at me with crazy, googly, amazed eyes.
DSCN0087.JPG

I had just started to realize what this signpost meant... by the end of this journey , I had no doubt about it.
DSCN0091.JPG

The mighty Akpa Bridge.. Soon the old one will get closed down once the new one gets operational.

DSCN0093.JPG

The new one is on my left.. This bridge is so beautiful.. :)
DSCN0095.JPG

DSCN0096.JPG

I think this is the entrance to Sumdo.. I ate lunch here. after this the road was smooth till Pooh
DSCN0097.JPG

I want a photograph... god knows when I will come back to see this beauty.
DSCN0100.JPG

The road is a mix of good and bad but on bicycle, the bad stretches seem endless and good ones are just too good (jaw drop).. Riding on Delhi Roads vs riding on this landscape... no comparison.
DSCN0104.JPG

Each and every waterfall was beautiful.. when we go slow enough, we can actually enjoy the true himalayan beauty.
DSCN0107.JPG

Refilled my bottle with icy cold mineral water.
DSCN0109.JPG

Just before Pooh.. The road around this area is super smooth... The landscape looks awesome...
DSCN0116.JPG

The entry gate to Pooh.. Found a place for 350 rs a night .. ate chicken dinner for 200rs a plate (buffet style) and slept.
DSCN0117.JPG

Note: This day was very calm and minimal traffic. Food was authentic and people were humble..
Good workout for the mind and body.
No issues with the bicycle. Just that the roads were rough at times.
Tomorrow will be Pooh to Nako
Cheers.

DSCN0082.JPG

DSCN0106.JPG

dwaipayan das

Next Update
Day 3 - Rekong Peo - Pooh

Started around 9 am from Rekong Peo . The road right under Rekong Peo was under development (in September 2017).
Had to stop at a check post in between. The road is mostly undulating with beautiful vistas and you feel like stopping everywhere to take pictures.

When you are ready to RIDE DOWHILL
View attachment 737343

The overhanging stone sections after Rekong Peo
View attachment 737344

The bridge where valley narrows and river flows at full speed. Rivers are so noisy.. but I love the sound.
View attachment 737346

Taking every opportunity to stop and take photos... Sometime people looked at me with crazy, googly, amazed eyes.
View attachment 737347

I had just started to realize what this signpost meant... by the end of this journey , I had no doubt about it.
View attachment 737348

The mighty Akpa Bridge.. Soon the old one will get closed down once the new one gets operational.

View attachment 737349

The new one is on my left.. This bridge is so beautiful.. :)
View attachment 737350

View attachment 737351

I think this is the entrance to Sumdo.. I ate lunch here. after this the road was smooth till Pooh
View attachment 737352

I want a photograph... god knows when I will come back to see this beauty.
View attachment 737353

The road is a mix of good and bad but on bicycle, the bad stretches seem endless and good ones are just too good (jaw drop).. Riding on Delhi Roads vs riding on this landscape... no comparison.
View attachment 737354

Each and every waterfall was beautiful.. when we go slow enough, we can actually enjoy the true himalayan beauty.
View attachment 737356

Refilled my bottle with icy cold mineral water.
View attachment 737357

Just before Pooh.. The road around this area is super smooth... The landscape looks awesome...
View attachment 737358

The entry gate to Pooh.. Found a place for 350 rs a night .. ate chicken dinner for 200rs a plate (buffet style) and slept.
View attachment 737359

Note: This day was very calm and minimal traffic. Food was authentic and people were humble..
Good workout for the mind and body.
No issues with the bicycle. Just that the roads were rough at times.
Tomorrow will be Pooh to Nako
Cheers.

View attachment 737345

View attachment 737355

eagerly waiting for more...

Hellrider

Stop Global Warning
Day 4 - Pooh to Nako

As usual, high altitude and heavy workout dont mix together. I barely slept last night even after taking a hot shower to help me relax. The body, despite the beating it took over the last three days was not ready to give up. I woke up to a morning chill and smoehow managed to get out of bed. The room for 250 rs a night didn't have much to offer besides a creaky bed and a cupboard to put things into. It took me an hour to get ready and another 30 mins to eat breakfast and pack lunch as I was planning to visit gue monastry.

The road out of pooh is a long downhill till the satluj base and connects with the national highway. There are two roads leading out of the village (one I took to climb up) and we need not take the same road as the other road saves a few kilometres of riding.

The place was filled with army cantonment, supplies and repair work going on in army trucks. As we reach to the main highway, the road gets smooth and soon we change sides to move to the right side of the river.

The Morning View​
DSCN0120.JPG

The Early Rays on Pooh Village​
DSCN0120.JPG

Pooh Monastry​
DSCN0122.JPG

Place of Stay (Karma GuestHouse)​
DSCN0123.JPG

Tibetian Prayer Wheel (Tibetian Influence felt at Pooh Village)​
DSCN0124.JPG

The Gradual Descent from Pooh Village​
DSCN0126.JPG

The Bridge to the Other Side​
DSCN0127.JPG

The Road to Namgia and Shipkila (Left for Next Time)​
DSCN0129.JPG

The Majestic Khab Bridge
DSCN0132.JPG

Spartan on the Bridge
DSCN0136.JPG

The Most Enchanting of Places
DSCN0143.JPG

Dont Look Up (Count the little steps and enjoy the ride)
DSCN0146.JPG

Kazigs Start (Loved the Climb)
DSCN0148.JPG

That's How it Looks after Climbing for an Hour or two
DSCN0149.JPG

Roads get broken and dusty
DSCN0150.JPG

Would Love to take this route someday (with stay at Leo Village)
DSCN0153.JPG

Mountains and Clouds
DSCN0154.JPG

Not all those who Wander are Lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
DSCN0156.JPG

Climbing is all I did That Day
DSCN0157.JPG

The mind goes to unimaginable places when you are all alone in this land
DSCN0159.JPG

Etches of Human Presence on Mountains
DSCN0160.JPG

Leo Village in the Vincinity
DSCN0162.JPG

Diversion for Yangthang
DSCN0163.JPG

A restaurant few kilometres before Nako
DSCN0164.JPG

The Entrance to Nako Village
DSCN0166.JPG

Nako Lake (Would love to see this in Winters)
DSCN0168.JPG

Good things come to those who wait
DSCN0171.JPG

The Free Exploring mind of the Individual is the most Valuable Thing in the World - J. Steinbeck
DSCN0177.JPG

Only those who risk going out too far can find out how far one can go - T.S. Elliot
DSCN0178.JPG

Time to clean and regrease front forks
DSCN0183.JPG

The climb was gradual and steep at the last few kilometres but it was worth it at the end.
The hotel where I stayed charged 500 for one day including dinner.
The evening was spent inside as it was too cold to venture out.
I went to bed early as the next day was another riding day with loads of action. Network is not working here on so I had to call home from a Bsnl mobile phone (which took a lot of time ) as the network was bad due to clouds in the evening. BSNL is the only network that works in this part of the country.

Singed off the day with a tired body and a peaceful sleep.
Day 5 Pooh to Nako via Gue Coming up soon!!

DSCN0121.JPG

DSCN0125.JPG

DSCN0129.JPG

DSCN0130.JPG