Zero Bhp on The Tribal Belt of Himanchal - Kinnaur and Lahaul-Spiti

Hellrider

Stop Global Warning
Day 5 - Nako to Tabo

Chilly Morning to wake me up.. Last evening could barely make one call as the BSNL network was having trouble connecting.
Got Ready and packed luggage and headed out by 9 am.. Packed paranthas for the way with achaar.
Right after moving out from Nako the climb continues till malling nala. Unfortunaly I did have some energy from getting proper sleep last night so I continued pedalling till the top of the nala. IT took about an hour to get there. There was some military presence at the top but the crossing in itself was very shallow due to morning and being september so most of the snow has melted. I made a few stills and video shots in the meantime and covered up myself for the long descent which would be freezing. It took a good 30 mins to get to the bottom of the hill and met the Satluj river once again.
This region has similar dry mountains of sand mixed with sedimentary mountain formations peculiar of himalayas. It will remind you of Lamayuru (ladakh). As you continue moving along the river the grade is gradual similar to river flow gradient. You will find lots of apple orchards with blossoming apples (near Khurdangpo). This is the place where you will see Shalkhar Bridge. A little ahead the road bifurcates to Kaurik. However permits are needed for seeing that region. A few kilometres ahead you will see a road nexst to a bridge going to Gue. There is a signboard that says Gue written but its easy to miss for the casual traveller.. Gue is indeed a very remote place with very few bravehearts willing to ride into this narrow vally close to India border. Apart from the monstry, there is not much to see but for people seeking peace and quiet, this place is worth staying for a day. Ate the packed paranthas at the monastry and started the ride back. Mind you no network except BSNL that too works a tad bit. The climb till Gue is gradual and doable but the monstry is after crossing the village so be prepared to do 1-2 kms more betfore turning back.

After paying my repsects to the lama, I left but not after filling the place in my mind and heart. It is hard to believe that the mountain ranges that you see while standing atop Gue monstry are the last Indian frontier and beyond it lies Tibet. The downhill was fun and I rode slowly to enjoy the view. At the crossroads, I got back to the main highway and the undulating roads of Himanchal. After a few kilometres reached lari and by that time the evening was starting to set in. Some travelers crossed and offered me sweets and water while enquiring the journey till now. Reached Tabo around 6 pm and went to stay at the Tabo Monastry. Owner charged 100 for monastry dormitory stay and I was the only one staying in the huge dormitory. The food served was delicious and I enjoyed the meal before signing off for the day. Tomorrow would be another challange but I am looking forward to it.

Image 1 - LOVON Hotel (where I Stayed) Accomodation at 500rs with dinner
DSCN0185.JPG

Image 2 - Malling Nala is just a Kilometer From Here as the Turn to the Right
DSCN0187.JPG

Image 3 - At Malling Nala (Very little Water this Time)
DSCN0192.JPG

Image 4 - The Enchanting Spiti Landscape
DSCN0195.JPG

Image 4 - One Wallpaper for my Computer
DSCN0197.JPG

Image 5 - These Places are beyond time and words
DSCN0201.JPG

Image 5 - All the Way Down
DSCN0203.JPG

Hellrider

Stop Global Warning
Image 6 - The Lunar Landscape
DSCN0204.JPG

Image 7 - Khurdangpo
DSCN0207.JPG

Image 8 - Shalkhar Bridge
DSCN0208.JPG

Image 9 - Photo Taken from Gue Entrance (Theres a Bridge There)
DSCN0213.JPG

Image 10 - Halfway to Gue (Its all uphill gradual)
DSCN0215.JPG

Image 11 - Made it to the Village
DSCN0218.JPG

Image 12 - Gue Monastry Entrance (What a Beauty)
DSCN0219.JPG

Image 13 - The Mummified Lama
DSCN0224.JPG

Image 14 - Outside View to Monastry
DSCN0228.JPG

Image 14 - A closeup view of Monastry
DSCN0230.JPG

Image 15 - Traditional Designs
DSCN0232.JPG

Image 16 - Artwork
DSCN0235.JPG

Image 17 - Project Details
DSCN0236.JPG

Image 18 - This is the Entrance (Dont Miss on your Visit)
DSCN0237.JPG

Image 19 - I wonder which Road is This
DSCN0240.JPG

Image 20 - Landscapes
DSCN0241.JPG

Image 21 - Lari Signboard
DSCN0243.JPG

Image 22 - A few kilometres before Tabo
DSCN0244.JPG

Image 23 - A Boarding school after crossing Lari
DSCN0247.JPG

Image 24 - Almost at Tabo
DSCN0248.JPG

Image 25 - Tabo (Hotels and Monastra is to the Left
DSCN0249.JPG

Next Part is from Tabo to Dhankar Monastry and Dhankar Lake Trek.... stay tuned.

Last edited:

Hellrider

Stop Global Warning
Great Effort...
Awesome Clicks...
Thank You

Fabulous! Shared it on official BCMTouring social media pages. Keep going. Eagerly waiting for the next part.
Hi, I was unaware of it.. Is there a link available? Thank you for the appreciation.

Wow!!! Amazing Trip!!!
Looking for the next part :)
Just shared the Next day log. Thank You

wow awesome pics
great narration
The first few days were amazing but the last few days were tough mentally more than the physical effort.

Great Efforts !
Great Moves !
Great Places !
Great Views !
Great Pics !
Thanks

I dont have words to salute your Determination, Physical efforts, Guts, Love for Cycling, Love for Himalay....
Absolutely Speechless !
I have realized with time that the slower we travel the more attention to details we can give.

Hellrider

Stop Global Warning
Day 6 - Tabo to Dhankar

Day started on a lovely note after waking up at the monastry.
Had early breakfast and got on the road quickly.
Bikers crossed in huge numbers on this stretch.
The landscape is msmerizing.
Just before the climb to Dhankar, I ate momos and relaxed a bit.
After the climb (took 2 hours), i ate lunch and found a place to stay for 500INR that includes dinner cost and breakfast.
After keeping my luggage in the room, I left for the trek to the lake.
Met some israeli travelers so hiked with them to the top of the lake.
After spending some time at the lake, we came down as the sun set.
Had some breathing issues in the evening and slept uncomfortably.
End-of-day
Tomorrow plan was to do langza-komic etc. but ditched it in the early morning due to bad health.
Cycled till Kibber for next days halt.

DSCN0251.JPG

DSCN0252.JPG

DSCN0255.JPG

DSCN0259.JPG

DSCN0260.JPG

DSCN0263.JPG

DSCN0267.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0269.JPG

DSCN0270.JPG

DSCN0274.JPG

DSCN0278.JPG

DSCN0283.JPG

DSCN0284.JPG

DSCN0285.JPG

DSCN0286.JPG

DSCN0287.JPG

DSCN0288.JPG

DSCN0290.JPG

DSCN0272.JPG

DSCN0273.JPG

Hellrider

Stop Global Warning
Day 7 - Dhankar to Kibber

Started early morning with packed food.
The downhill was amazing till the main national highway.
Saw the road bifurcating to Mud Village.
Wanted to take langza and hikkim road but left it for another day.
Went straight to kaza and ate lunch.
Enjoyed and saw the change in Kaza, once a small settlement turned into a big tourist hub. I was there in 2009 during my first spiti trip.
Kept riding till Kye Monastry and slowly ascended to Kibber.
FOund a decent stay there.
I did not know that a nice trek to Mount Kanamo exists there. Will do it someday.
Met a group of Bangladeshi Trekkers staying the night at the same guesthouse.
The manager of guesthouse is a simple guy and very friendly.
Ended the day with lots of memories.

DSCN0291.JPG

DSCN0294.JPG

DSCN0295.JPG

DSCN0296.JPG

DSCN0299.JPG

DSCN0300.JPG

DSCN0301.JPG

DSCN0305.JPG

DSCN0306.JPG

DSCN0309.JPG

DSCN0312.JPG